The Union

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mushroom, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today is the three hundreth anniversary of the Union.
  2. Time to reunite it then. Bulldoze the satellite assemblies, and read up on Edward 1.
  3. Bad Day for the Geordies then. As a Sweaty I have to be fair; Edward Longshanks was a barsteward to everybody!!!!
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I think it would be a huge mistake to dissolve the union. We are more than the sum or our parts. However because of the devolution of power to the national assemblies it's only a matter of time before an English parliament is formed then there will be a break up of the UK.
  5. Couldn't agree more with Ord-Sgt.

We are indeed greater than the sum of our parts, and this is especially true of the military that defends those parts. Where would we be without the fighting Jocks, the singing Taff, the loyal Irish or the perfidious English?

We are a Union of peoples that are varied and colourful and to break up such a union for the sake of some low life politicians who want to cram in the very last vote is a terrible loss to us all.

The causes that brought the Union about may not have been the most righteous, true, but we have benefited enormously for having been brought together.

Would the Scottish people be any better off with the loss of collaboration between our people? I don't think so.

For those that approve of the dissolution of the Union, what do you hope to gain? You swap one bunch of self-serving rulers for another. You are still ruled in the same fashion at the end of the day, so where is the benefit?
  6. Count me in on that too. without the union we just become a collection of small countries.
  7. Exactly - firm but fair to all. An equal opportunities oppressor.

Just what we need right now. There's a dreadful irony to Gordon beginning to realise that his (wrongful) inheritance is in danger of falling apart. It's ironic because his party allowed the UK to fractate into obscure hobbyist neighbourhoods. What next - freedom for the pastie?

Bring it all back together (except for the NI franchise).
  8. The act of union was in 1707. Edward I died in 1307. What would reading up on him solve?
  9. Oi fekkin steady son!!
  10. 1. How to reunite the Union following Focus Group consultations with all interested parties.

2. Your lack of knowledge on the subject of the long history of go/no go between the Crowns.

3. Absolute Dictatorship 101 - guarenteed pass!

Hello is anyone there????
  11. Sh1t. Spelling - shorry!
  12. You point out my lack of knowledge. Edward longshanks held only certain areas of Scotland for a relatively short amount of time. At no point in time was it complete or total control over the country. If you only want the Union to last say.... 13 years with a hell of a lot of civil war and infighting, then yes read up on the man.

Heres to sacking York!!
  13. Gordon Brown defends the union because without it he'd not have a chance of becoming PM of the United Kingdom.

As much as I don't want him to get that job, I have to agree that dissolving the union would be a backward step. We are, as has been said by more than one person, greater than the sum of our parts.

(By the way, would we have to have separate sites for the English, Scottish, Welsh and Ulster armies?)
  14. Boom Boom!!
  15. Dont think so as that would mean we were to become a republic would it not? The people who speak of independance have never mentioned relinquishing loyalty to the Queen