The Union Jack Club

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
The Union Jack Club in London. Who's stayed there and is it any good?

It's obviously nice and handy for Waterloo station and central London but is it worth the £25 a year joining fee?

I'm more of a Premier Inn type of guy because I'm a cheapskate but £57 a night seems pretty good value

It's obviously nice and handy for Waterloo station and central London but is it worth the £25 a year joining fee?

I'm more of a Premier Inn type of guy because I'm a cheapskate but £57 a night seems pretty good value

Screenshot_20210411-042527_Opera.jpg

Revamped and refurbed over the last few years and they've finally managed to squeeze out the alcoholics from Waterloo Station.

Rooms are of a decent standard, parking is crap unless you book for a limited underground car park slot well in advance (Blue Badge holders park free).

2 minutes in any direction are a couple of decent pubs small Italian and Greek bistros, plus the added moving wallpaper of very comely Balkan ladies who do front of house.

I quite like it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Use the Victory Services Club near Marble Arch.

IMHO a million times better with much nicer pubs nearby. Just ensure you get a room in the far west part of the hotel otherwise you end up not only trying to sleep above the Edgeware Road but also above lots of swarthy types smoking shisha pipes.

My last 2 stays in the UJ the heating didn’t work and 1 of those nights was New Year’s Eve having ‘done the fireworks’ on Embankment.

VSC, not UJ.

The prices for beer aren't bad, IIRC around 3.75 - 4.00 a pint which is cheap for the area, but there isn't much of a range, Fosters, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, UJ lager, Thatchers cider and a couple of handpulls. The food isn't bad for the price.
Food - Restaurant menu - Union Jack Club
I had a meal in the restaurant one evening just prior to lock-down and thought it was excellent in all respects, especially the service. I would also recommend a very good fish and chip restaurant less than a 10 minute walk down Waterloo Road - Master's Fish Restaurant.

I liked it stayed there with my father for a couple of father's day London days out fantastic views and location. Also stayed there with my wife during the first lockdown we were one of only 5 rooms or so that were occupied. Virtually had the place to ourselves. Had a nice steak in the restaurant we were the only people in there and a total of 6 others in the bar . Loved it . Nice old school forces /empire vibe.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
"A current serving enlisted rank/rating in the UK Armed Forces can book (and pays for) accommodation for his/her immediate family (spouse / partner and children) without the serving person being present"

I must make enquiries to see if their 'immediate family' policy also includes parents as one of my kids is currently serving

If so that's a membership fee saved and I can take Mrs Poltroon for a weekend in the capital

I might even buy her a bag of chips from that Masters Fish Restaurant down Waterloo Road that was mentioned earlier

It is what it is. I've been a member for many years and have used it countless times. I've stayed in plenty of other places too and was also a member of the VSC for thirty years. I had to rationalise my membership outgoings and the VSC was cancelled, but only because I hardly ever used it and couldn't really justify continued membership.

My trips to the smoke are seldom nowadays since I moved north, but I continue to be a member of the UJ, as it is my default stayover venue by sheer habit. I like the place and have had many a memorable stay. It's better located than the VSC in my opinion, but again it depends on your requirements. They're both excellent clubs.

Buddy!

War Hero
Regular visitor; fantastic place, great location and mega value for money (relative to location).

The prices for beer aren't bad, IIRC around 3.75 - 4.00 a pint which is cheap for the area, but there isn't much of a range, Fosters, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, UJ lager, Thatchers cider and a couple of handpulls. The food isn't bad for the price.
Food - Restaurant menu - Union Jack Club
Haven’t been for quite a few years. I always made sure I brought a few drinks down with me as I’m her ally too tight at the best of times.

not been since the refurb though.

I remember the bar being full of retired Major types who’d served in India.

My single room appeared to be a converted linen cupboard however the en-suite urinal/come wash hand basin was a god send. Then again I was only there for one night and only wanted the cheapest room available.

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
Ref UJ:

It has been a few years now. Breakfast is/was utterly superb. It certainly set up a number of long days. Dinner was a little basic/constrained but if you arrived and just wanted to eat without walking around an unknown area for somewhere local, it was very good value. An extremely good location (for transport to other places for work or tourism). It is extremely good value for a reason, it is basic but good. For what it does it is outstanding value. I didn't know there was an annual charge. I just paid over the odds as a serving officer (TA at that time), and still thought it was fantastic value.

I really liked the people I met in the bar so on numerous occasions didn't venture out given meetings the next morning. Didn't see any retired India types. Did meet a lot of serving/recently served people of all types who were with only two exceptions, very convivial companions. I did find a really good Indian restaurant if you turned left after the steps and then eventually went left again. However this was about 20 years ago so please do not ask for a map ref.

In & Out, Army & Navy, Cavalry & Guards, VSC, East India and others etc., are different, each in their own way. Personally it isn't the ethos that really matters. For me it is , are you actually going to use the place, then compare the cost to the possible benefit. Then look at the ethos. If you won't use the place then what is the point?

Assuming a load of incoming flak.

GH

Latest Threads