The Union Jack Club, London.

Yup, worked with an ex Signals bod who used it all the time. He liked it, and there is also a great restaurant called Thai Silk round the corner.

i found it to be a very rank orientent place.. with officers and ors bars,,, and the same with rooms wierd....

Stayed there a while ago. Everything that could be stolen from the room was bolted down.

Bathrooms were full of graffiti & phone numbers of blokes looking to impale themselves on other blokes (and it was illegal then). I think it's open to civil servants too.

There are some cheap and cheerful B&Bs in Sussex Gardens, near Paddington station that might be worth considering too.

Ancient_Mariner said:
Stayed there a while ago. Everything that could be stolen from the room was bolted down.

Bathrooms were full of graffiti & phone numbers of blokes looking to impale themselves on other blokes (and it was illegal then). I think it's open to civil servants too.
Sure you're not getting confused with the VSC? Those rooms were basic, though they're improving. No such snags with the UJ. Been a full member for eighteen years. I just wish they'd keep the bar open a bit longer.

BuckFelize said:
Ancient_Mariner said:

Sure you're not getting confused with the VSC? Those rooms were basic, though they're improving. No such snags with the UJ. Been a full member for eighteen years. I just wish they'd keep the bar open a bit longer.
It was definitely the UJC. I've just had a look at their web site and it seems to have gone upmarket since I was there.

Only one bar at the Union Jack, and rooms are not rank orientated!
Rooms start at £33 (shared bathroom)

http://www.crdigital.co.uk/ujclub/en-gb/index.htm

I prefer the The Victory Services Club at Marble Arch, which is also for serving and ex-forces. Rooms are what you pay for.
With most of the 'Old Club House' now being refurbished to En Suite.
Rooms start at £28 (shared bathroom)

http://www.vsc.co.uk/

I've heard it was p1ss orientated.

The plumbers had to rip out the pipe work because of the eroding effects of uric acid going down the wash hand basins.

I remember my first argeant Major , when I was a Lance Jack, telling me that when he stayed there in the 1970's before it was torn down and rebuilt, that it was like a 19th century poor house.
From my experience much, much better, but full of civies with dubious conections to any form of service. Agree with a previous comment, there is no rank biasis, everyone is treated like sh88TE :D

Jarrod,

The 'Quebec' has been a 'bottle of beer' boozer for over 35 years.

Your post is rubbish. As if you wandered in on the 'off chance' FFS !

It's tucked away in a mews off Seymour Street, W1. You are a knob jockey and you know this don't you.

jarrod248 said:
Be very careful where you wonder around Marble Arch. In the storms last year I got stuck in London. Nighr before I was in the very posh Polonium Hotel, next day no trains and I went anywhere I could get a room, which turned out to be called 'The Edward Lear' which was a doss house.
I was really peed off and wondered around for a beer and found this!
http://www.thequebec.co.uk/
From outside looked like an old traditional pub with a board outside offering food and hot toddies I think?
Walked inside and everyone stared at me, thought right one of those locals is it. I didn't bother couldn't care less. Then noticed no women in the bar at all.
Men just kept coming up to me and standing at the side of me I was ignoring them and they wondered off. Then I noticed some polish probably rent boys with a man of maybe 70 and he'd got his hands down young guys trousers. I couldn't get out quick enough.
Loads of them leering at me and I'm gay ffs. Would not believe the predators in that bar and I've never felt threatened in a Gay bar.
Be careful!
Don't tell the Aliens!!

My fellow Yanks will be interested to know that membership for us at the UJ is also assured. Me and my buddies spent a couple nights there and had a good time at the bar, shootin' the shit with British vets 20-40 years our senior.

A good place, but impossible to bring guests to your room at the end of the night...

I used the UJC many a time when passing through London.
There used to be a Chevrons Club as well located off Baker St.
john
On the subject of Queer Boozers I was busting for a slash one early evening down Soho, legged it into a Pub I had used several years before, Shouted, A Pint of Bitter to Bar man as I ran into the bogs. Only then did it dawn on me just why I was getting those looks from the 100 % male cliental.
Fastest slash and probably the swiftest pint I ever drank.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Officers 13
T The NAAFI Bar 5
W The Intelligence Cell 60