The unimaginatively titled Norn Iron thread (formerly Arlene/Poots)

the official name of the State is Ireland. The Constitution outweighs all other legislation.

Further clarification was issued today it is both the protocol of his title and the title of the event. Apparently this has been in discussion since March.
I think Mr Higgins has been around Mr Biden and caught dementia.

That thread is full of the headbanger Shinners, IRSP and the even more extreme ones with the made-up "Gaelic" names from Reddit NI. Don't reply, your IQ will fall.

That thread is full of the headbanger Shinners, IRSP and the even more extreme ones with the made-up "Gaelic" names from Reddit NI. Don't reply, your IQ will fall.
Twitter is an echo chamber for Irish Republicans with each person have ten accounts, slapping each other on the back.

Further clarification was issued today it is both the protocol of his title and the title of the event. Apparently this has been in discussion since March.
Even less excuse to give Jeffery something to moan about.

as I said the discussions have been ongoing with him as “President of Ireland” since March

why has this come to a head now? Because the invite has just been issued and it is to the “President of the Republic of Ireland”

as I said the discussions have been ongoing with him as “President of Ireland” since March

why has this come to a head now? Because the invite has just been issued and it is to the “President of the Republic of Ireland”
In this thread, its because you raised the issue.

Who issued the invitation? I thought it was organised by the churches, seems a bit odd that the main churches of Ireland, seeing as how they are mostly all-Ireland organisations and have a century of handling protocol, would make such an error.

Why was there even any need to mention the state's name when issuing an invitation? Surely you would send an invitation to His Excellency President Michael O'Higgins (or whatever), did they send an invitation to The Right Hon. Boris Johnson MP or to "The First Lord of the Treasury of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"?

I've seen one letter to him and he's addressed as the President of Ireland.

I'll find it and post it.

Is this the invitation?
Screenshot_20210918-072023_Chrome.jpg

As I said there has been be discussions between the organisers and the Aras since March.

this isn’t the invitation, proposed date and no time
I personally don't care if he attends or not. I doubt the Queen will attend, I expect Charles or William to represent her.

I genuinely believe there is another reason for the Irish President not attending and the formality of his title in an invitation is being used.

the seeming inability of British security forces ever to lay a hand on the collar of the IRA's supposedly hardest man Martin McGuinness
I watched as McGuinness was brought into the back yard of Castlereagh RUC Station in the early 90s. The peelers around him dispersed and he stood in the centre of the carpark, smiling and looking up at the windows full of people; he knew that he was invincible. The second floor of the building was watching; all of Belfast SB.

Strange times, indeed. But that's politics.

I watched as McGuinness was brought into the back yard of Castlereagh RUC Station in the early 90s. The peelers around him dispersed and he stood in the centre of the carpark, smiling and looking up at the windows full of people; he knew that he was invincible. The second floor of the building was watching; all of Belfast SB.

Strange times, indeed. But that's politics.

No one ever N.D.s at an opportune moment. Could you not have arranged for yer woman from Strand Road to be there? She did it twice IIRC.

I have said it before but perhaps the most perspicacious remark ever made by a Unionist politician was made by Terence O'Neill and of course he got howled down for it.

"Treat a Roman Catholic like a Protestant and he will behave like one", spoken in his Eton and Irish Guards accent he just came across as a right condescending twat, but actually he was on to something.

Now that Catholics have access to decent jobs (indeed many here would claim they get more than their fair access now) and promotion, have the chance to own a nice house, go on foreign holidays, secure a good education for their kids, relax safe in the knowledge that's there's a chunky civil service pension waiting for them at their retirement they have become ever more relaxed about their place in the world.

They can live with remaining in the UK as long as they are getting a fair shake at the stick, they have no compelling desire to have sit down protests in the street, riot, join a terrorist organisation or try to overthrow the very state they now help administer. And they certainly don't want buses burning outside the 100,000+pound house in the Creggan that they got cheap when they bought it off the Housing Executive and in the driveway of which they have two cars.

In fact it is remarkable just who it is these days who is out on the street burning buses and trying to destabilise the political order. And oddly enough it's the same community that has the highest proportion of church-going adherents in Northern Ireland, while the once-devout Catholics have gotten positively blase about their religion, picking and choosing to ignore pretty much any aspect of Catholic theology that doesn't agree with their individual consciences, becoming in other words -shh, whisper it softly - Protestants.

The people that screamed down Terence O'Neill for saying those words on a trip to Canada were saying more about their own prejudices than his. People like to stereotype and assume the NI Unionist as being a bigotted sectarian moron like the William Ulstermen of Harry Enfield fame!

Latest Threads