The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

I'm surprised they are letting Archer bowl at the moment. I'd have him wrapped up in cotton wool ready for Headingley.
He’s a fit lad and he will be chomping at the bit. It would be great to see him get on the Lords Honours board on his debut test.

Losing the light, no quickies allowed.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Archer at Old Trafford will be a handful. 5 for 91 in 44 overs doesn't really do him justice in the match.

The having a reserve for concussion is a good idea. It takes a bit of pressure off the player and the team. Concussion is a funny bugger.
If you have a concussion substitute, why not a “pulled my calf” substitute? England played the entire first test less the first 8 overs with ten men. What’s the difference?

If you have a concussion substitute, why not a “pulled my calf” substitute? England played the entire first test less the first 8 overs with ten men. What’s the difference?
Bit of a difference with a brain injury and a muscle pull I'd guess. Chances are you won't die of a strain but a lump of wood hitting you at 90 odd MPH is a different matter.
You know it wouldn't take long for the substitutes system to start getting abused or used.

Bit of a difference with a brain injury and a muscle pull I'd guess. Chances are you won't die of a strain but a lump of wood hitting you at 90 odd MPH is a different matter.
You know it wouldn't take long for the substitutes system to start getting abused or used.
So kinda like Bodyline all over again..click to get to the relevant part.

Still an injury though. I fully get that you don’t want concussed players back on the field, but that’s a medical issue. If the player isn’t fit, he isn’t fit.

I used the Anderson example because it is current; it’s probably not the best one though because if how it happened.

For Smith, the bottom line is he twice failed to deal with balls from Archer and twice got hit. One of those failures attracts a substitute, the other doesn’t.

Doesn’t make sense to me. Especially as Australia may well have used that issue to unfairly gain a draw. It can’t be right that the team doctor makes the decision.

So kinda like Bodyline all over again..click to get to the relevant part.

That was fast leg theory. Similar but different. That was more about cramping up how the batsman played their shots towards one side of the field of play where you would have a majority of your fielders.

That was fast leg theory. Similar but different. That was more about cramping up how the batsman played their shots towards one side of the field of play where you would have a majority of your fielders.
I don't know too much about cricket...but get the idea sort of...still seems a bit "unsportsmanlike."

Still an injury though. I fully get that you don’t want concussed players back on the field, but that’s a medical issue. If the player isn’t fit, he isn’t fit.

I used the Anderson example because it is current; it’s probably not the best one though because if how it happened.

For Smith, the bottom line is he twice failed to deal with balls from Archer and twice got hit. One of those failures attracts a substitute, the other doesn’t.

Doesn’t make sense to me. Especially as Australia may well have used that issue to unfairly gain a draw. It can’t be right that the team doctor makes the decision.
I know where you are coming from. Personally I'd rather there was a totally independent doctor overseeing any sort of concussion test so there's no "coaching" of the answers. I work in the boxing / MMA / Thai boxing game these days so I see up close how the medical people deal with issues. For the most part they are excellent but it has taken a lot of cock ups with some severe consequences along the way to get there. This is the first time I've seen the system for cricket in place.

Interesting write up about what happened when Langer got clonked on the head a few years ago.

There was also this story about a poor old sod who died after being hit umpiring a game.

In the early days of 'blood injury' in rugby, the system was abused in Saffer rugby. (Yes, before the fake blood incident!)
Blokes came off, were whisked into the dressing room, and during the stitching/patching they'd be sucking down oxygen from a tank.
8 minutes later, the bloke comes back onto the pitch like a regular jackal.
This led to an 'independent' medical officer/observer being part of the assessment team.

I know where you are coming from. Personally I'd rather there was a totally independent doctor overseeing any sort of concussion test so there's no "coaching" of the answers. I work in the boxing / MMA / Thai boxing game these days so I see up close how the medical people deal with issues. For the most part they are excellent but it has taken a lot of cock ups with some severe consequences along the way to get there. This is the first time I've seen the system for cricket in place.

Interesting write up about what happened when Langer got clonked on the head a few years ago.

There was also this story about a poor old sod who died after being hit umpiring a game.
And not to mention the late Phil Hughes.

That said, I tend to agree that an injured player is an injured player, and substitution should be an 'all or none' situation, but that's not the current regulation hence the 'concussion substitute'.

'The International Cricket Council approved the player replacements in all formats of men and women’s international cricket and for first-class cricket worldwide after trying it in Australia’s domestic matches since 2016/17 season. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had adopted the rules in 2018 for its four professional domestic tournaments. And after a successful outcome in domestic cricket, the ICC decided to implement the rule in international cricket to safeguard the players from unnecessary harms. The rules were fast-tracked into domestic cricket after the demise of Aussie batsman Phillips Hughes, who lost his life in 2014 after being struck on his head in a Sheffield Shield match.'

And not to mention the late Phil Hughes.

That said, I tend to agree that an injured player is an injured player, and substitution should be an 'all or none' situation, but that's not the current regulation hence the 'concussion substitute'.

'The International Cricket Council approved the player replacements in all formats of men and women’s international cricket and for first-class cricket worldwide after trying it in Australia’s domestic matches since 2016/17 season. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had adopted the rules in 2018 for its four professional domestic tournaments. And after a successful outcome in domestic cricket, the ICC decided to implement the rule in international cricket to safeguard the players from unnecessary harms. The rules were fast-tracked into domestic cricket after the demise of Aussie batsman Phillips Hughes, who lost his life in 2014 after being struck on his head in a Sheffield Shield match.'

I can’t see how Smith can play at Headingley. If he needed a concussion replacement yesterday, there’s no way he can be deemed fit in three days.

Other sports with concussion protocols have at least a week, some more. If Australia oaky him it raises all sorts of questions about the legitimacy of his replacement at Lords. Of course, if he didn’t have previous we’d trust him...

I can’t see how Smith can play at Headingley. If he needed a concussion replacement yesterday, there’s no way he can be deemed fit in three days.

Other sports with concussion protocols have at least a week, some more. If Australia oaky him it raises all sorts of questions about the legitimacy of his replacement at Lords. Of course, if he didn’t have previous we’d trust him...
Which is why these decisions should be taken by independent medical staff, I'm sure the ICC can afford it. It's not so much that Smith might be 'cheating' as if he comes back too soon and is slow to respond and collects another one, he might not get up second time round.

England did well yesterday & if Archer stays fit good raw pace.
Australia will not enjoy facing him & Smith now might shy from a fast bouncer.
Next test at Headingley could be interesting more if a good bowling track.

Latest Threads