The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

12 man England squad named for the second Test. Mo dropped.
I suspect they will drop Denly on the day and go with Sam Curran at Lords.
Plus la change, but Roy and Bairstow are still there.

England squad: Rory Burns (Surrey), Jason Roy (Surrey), Joe Root (Yorkshire, capt), Joe Denly (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire, wkt), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jack Leach (Somerset), Sam Curran (Surrey).

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Good thing mo got dropped. He has done well for England but another catastrophic test will mean he can never be picked again. Best that he gets some practice in.

We do have the Currans. Tom is clearly test standard.

I am not aware of a decent spinner at the moment. If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful.

SSteve Smith is not invincible. Maybe an elephant gun but I suspect Woakes and Archer are going to test him.

I am not aware of a decent spinner at the moment. If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful.

Steve Smith is not invincible. Maybe an elephant gun but I suspect Woakes and Archer are going to test him.
Lies, damn lies and statistics? I guess the 2nd Test will tell!

Great stats from @AWSStats

Smith's averages since March 2013 (discounting first 5 Tests in 2010-11):
v right-arm seam 80
v left-arm seam 74
v right-arm spin 92
v left-arm spin 34

Jack Leach for Lord's anyone?

Last edited:
Sat in a pub with a massive screen ...apparently some one called KEN need 106 from 46 balls or something... very colourful uniforms...

Not sure about the selectors' decision; tomorrow will tell.

'It looks as if Mitchell Starc can’t take a trick with the star fast bowler expected to carry the drinks for Australia in the second Ashes Test against England

'Fox Sports are reporting that Starc, who took the most wickets at the recent World Cup will again miss out with Australia to make just one change to the XI from the first Test. That change will reportedly be Josh Hazlewood to come in for James Pattinson, who will be rested after taking just two wickets in the series opener at Edgbaston.'

On the forecast I saw I can't see there being any play today, and the next few days will be patchy.

Today - no sessions of play
Tomorrow should be OK - 3 sessions
Heavy rain from tea till close on Friday - 2 sessions
Saturday should be OK - 3 sessions
Sunday OK in the morning, showers thereafter 1 to 2 sessions?

So out of a maximum 15 sessions, if the met office is correct, we might get 9 or possibly 10. Enough for a test match in this modern era (especially given the way England bat) but it might be tight - especially if Smith hogs too much time ... again!

Hurrah!

'Andrew Strauss' two young sons have rung the famous Lord's bell to signal it's time for the players to emerge from the dressing room. Both teams are wearing red caps for the occasion.'

In theory, 98 overs will be bowled today after yesterday's washout.
  • First session: 11:00 BST - 13:00
  • Second session: 13:40-16:10
  • Third session: 16:30-18:30
An extra half hour can be taken to finish the overs.

Australia have chosen to bowl first.

Oh dear. :-(

Great start for Hazlewood and Australia; a maiden first over and then Hazlewood gets a wicket in his first over!

1.3 overs
WICKET
Roy c Paine b Hazlewood 0 (Eng 0-1)

Gone!

I think the Roy as an opener tactic might be over .
I'd thought it was a desperation measure rather than a tactic. Unless he can redeem himself in the 2nd innings, I can't imagine he'll be a starter in the 3rd Test (but this is the ECB, so you never know).

E2A:
Posted at 12:1312:13
Post update

Stephan Shemilt
BBC Sport at Lord's
That might be the worst three-ball innings ever played by a Test opener.

Scorcher68

Old-Salt
A tactic born of desperation perhaps. Alec Stewart was very interesting regarding batting in county cricket yesterday and its implications for the test side .No surprise that he thinks Roy should be batting in the middle order.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
On the forecast I saw I can't see there being any play today, and the next few days will be patchy.

Today - no sessions of play
Tomorrow should be OK - 3 sessions
Heavy rain from tea till close on Friday - 2 sessions
Saturday should be OK - 3 sessions
Sunday OK in the morning, showers thereafter 1 to 2 sessions?

So out of a maximum 15 sessions, if the met office is correct, we might get 9 or possibly 10. Enough for a test match in this modern era (especially given the way England bat) but it might be tight - especially if Smith hogs too much time ... again!
Well Jason Roy hasn't 'hogged too much time' so that's a good thing isn't it..

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
So England all out by Tea anyone?
I was going to say the best we can hope for is we bat all day today and tomorrow regardless of run rates, then rely on the rain to halt play, so we end up with a draw.

26 for 2 and Joe Denly at the crease now.

So all out by tea it is...

I was going to say the best we can hope for is we bat all day today and tomorrow regardless of run rates, then rely on the rain to halt play, so we end up with a draw.

26 for 2 and Joe Denly at the crease now.

So all out by tea it is...
'What a spell from Hazlewood from the Nursery End. Gets Roy, then bowls three maidens, gets Root.'

Hazlewood really doing damage to the top order! 20/20 hindsight, but if he'd bowled at Edgbaston ...

Atherton: This is what Australia will want...4 deliveries at Denly

Seriously, are we in trouble when our middle order are a weaklink, or is Atherton a fcking loon

Latest Threads