The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All sporting high jinks aside, the 2nd test was hardly that! Anderson and Broad were on fire against a mediocre Indian batting line up. That being said, some of the ridiculous shots played by English batsmen were little more than schoolboy shots. Even Michael Vaughan said he was getting sick of seeing batsmen getting out to stupid shots. England had the upper hand throughout the game, yet chose to throw away wickets with gay abandon.

To be a successful test team, the batting needs to be solid, not half-hearted. It no good Anderson and Broad battering the opposition if the batsmen don't support them. Cook let himself down as did Bairstow. The big plus was of course Woakes, but he needs back up.

That being said, an "Innings plus" victory is always welcome. Roll on the next test.

The ECB did take action of sorts by dropping him for the Ashes so I guess they will say that acts as his punishment. They don't seem particularly in touch with people so he'll back in the side as soon as.
Technically he wasn’t selected for the Ashes (wasn’t he carrying an injury of some sort?), so the ECB were quite clever in that respect and it will be difficult for Stokes’ legal team to count that as ‘time already served’ should a suspension be his punishment for bringing the game into disrepute.
I agree with @schweik that Stokes has some issues that need to be addressed. He has always had a short fuse, but those in authority put that down to immaturity and youthful exuberance. Giving him the vice captaincy was meant to draw a line under that period and be the endorsement of Stokes as a fully paid up and long standing member of the England squad for years to come. The events in Bristol put paid to that and despite the verdict returned today, the video evidence doesn’t show him in a good light at all.
I’m not suggesting he should be hung out to dry, but a suspension of a few matches (perhaps the Sri Lanka winter tour) would be appropriate in my opinion.
Perhaps the ginger gene means he will always be flirting with danger!

On the issue of him being included in the squad for Nottingham - who makes way? On current form, it shouldn’t be Curran or Woakes - Buttler is looking a little vulnerable on that score.

Which incident, exactly?
Hansie?
RamSlam and Gulam Bode?
etc etc etc

And what about the Aussie chaps who got caught with the Sandpaper earlier this year?

Should have been banned for life, but nooooo - that might just mean that cricket loses money. So a slap on the wrist and they'll be back soon.
I mean your lack of perspective on this issue.

Is Stokes so good that he automatically commands a place. I’m not convinced; sure, he can turn a match but he’s neither a genuine batsman nor bowler.

In English conditions Woakes is a genuine bowler who bats. He has more 1st class centuries than Stokes but his bowling doesn’t travel well (yet). With time an a genuine run in the team, he could eventually step into Jimmy’s shoes.

Butler IMHO should have the gloves. YJB is a genuine test quality batsman who could bat at 4. He’s wasted particularly when England bat last, by keeping.

Curran offers something special; he’s a lefty who provides balance to the attack. And don’t forget Moeen for when England need a second or off spinner.

Fact is England are blessed with all rounders. They are struggling with genuine batsmen. IMHO Bairstow and Stokes need to man up as genuine test batsmen not allrounders.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is Stokes so good that he automatically commands a place. I’m not convinced; sure, he can turn a match but he’s neither a genuine batsman nor bowler.

In English conditions Woakes is a genuine bowler who bats. He has more 1st class centuries than Stokes but his bowling doesn’t travel well (yet). With time an a genuine run in the team, he could eventually step into Jimmy’s shoes.

Butler IMHO should have the gloves. YJB is a genuine test quality batsman who could bat at 4. He’s wasted particularly when England bat last, by keeping.

Curran offers something special; he’s a lefty who provides balance to the attack. And don’t forget Moeen for when England need a second or off spinner.

Fact is England are blessed with all rounders. They are struggling with genuine batsmen. IMHO Bairstow and Stokes need to man up as genuine test batsmen not allrounders.
Absolutely agree, Bairstow doesn't have the patience to be a test batsman. He is very much of the Botham ilk. Stokes could be better if he stops trying to emulate Bairstow.

The selectors have decided that Stokes must play in the third test. OK, they may or may not be right on that. No doubt we will look back in a few years and Stokes will either be a sainted hero or a broken down wreck and we will say what a great/awful decision that was. Time will tell.

But dropping Curran to fit him in? Curran who was man of the match in the first test? And retaining Rashid, who probably won’t bowl a ball at at Trent Bridge, and Buttler who isn’t exactly tearing up trees....

Regardless of whether or not Stokes should come back in, they’ve certainly booted the wrong man out.

The selectors have decided that Stokes must play in the third test. OK, they may or may not be right on that. No doubt we will look back in a few years and Stokes will either be a sainted hero or a broken down wreck and we will say what a great/awful decision that was. Time will tell.

But dropping Curran to fit him in? Curran who was man of the match in the first test? And retaining Rashid, who probably won’t bowl a ball at at Trent Bridge, and Buttler who isn’t exactly tearing up trees....

Regardless of whether or not Stokes should come back in, they’ve certainly booted the wrong man out.
Couldn't agree more. You stick with the guys in form. I think Stokes should play, he is after all one of our best players and has the capacity to change games. I know Curran is young and will undoubtedly get more chances for England. I just hope this doesn't knock back his confidence.
I would have dropped Butler.

Personally I don't think Stokes is so good he deserves an immediate recall. The only players in doubt for me are Jennings and Butler and picking Stokes purely as a batsman to replace one of them is questionable. I'd love to know what excuse they came up with for Curran. "Yeh, you played brilliantly did everything we asked, but that's not enough to keep your place in the side". Effectively they are admitting there is a clique who must be picked and if you aren't in it you're expendable. My advice to Curran would be find a foreign granny.

With Woakes fit, I think England see Curran as the fourth seamer. I think that’s fair; in English conditions, Woakes is up there with Anderson. Curran needs to add pace.

I’d never go into a test without a spinner although I’m not convinced on Rashid. I also like the idea of Curran and Moeen since Curran would give Mo rough to work with.

I’m not sure about Butler. He’s a brilliant counter attacking batsman who can take a game away from the opposition but he’s never going to be a top order batsman. For me he keeps wicket or doesn’t play.

England’s problems are batting. They haven’t uncovered a test quality batsman since Root. Jennings will go the way of every other partner for Cook, who is in his last stages anyway. I think both stokes and Bairstow can bat higher. I’d try Bairstow as an opener and put Stokes at 5. Gloves to Butler

Just to prove he's a team player, perhaps Stokes should have said "No thanks. As young Curran is playing so well, I'll sit this one out."

All the decision smacks of is that if you're in the right card school, you're in.

I just hope that Curran hasn't had the motivation kicked out of him.

Prediction - England will lose this test by a large margin. Reason for prediction; modern test cricket teams don't contain enough real test batsmen to build an innings under pressure and being 350 behind is pressure. this is not just England's problem, from what I see he who wins day 1 wins the test.

Prediction - England will lose this test by a large margin. Reason for prediction; modern test cricket teams don't contain enough real test batsmen to build an innings under pressure and being 350 behind is pressure. this is not just England's problem, from what I see he who wins day 1 wins the test.
India have posted a decent score at last, which could be beyond 400 by the time England bat. This puts a lot of pressure back on to the England top order to bat sensibly and get a big score themselves. Are they up to it? I hope so, but I remain to be convinced. This has the makings of another great Test match - give me this over white ball cricket anytime.

I find a lot of modern batting to be riddled with schoolboy errors. It's when you see batsmen waving at balls 18" outside the off stump with their feet still in line with the stumps and playing pull shots with men out on the leg side boundary etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, if you need quick runs then there is an excuse for chasing the ball, but when your opening batsmen go chasing wide balls and nick it to slip / keeper with the score in single figures there is no excuse at test level.

IMHO England have two genuine test batsmen; Cook & Root. Pope looks a find to me, a bit of an Ian Bell but without the introspection. There’s not much on the CC to use; Vince has all the shots but not the temperament.

They have three allrounders who could quality make test batsmen if they focused only on batting; Mo, Stokes and Bairstow. None of these will make regular daddy hundreds or hold together a fourth innings chase if they are routinely required to do other things.

I don’t think England really need Stokes bowling as part of their main attack. Same for Mo. And there’s no way YJB should have the gloves and bat top order when there’s another keeper in the tail.

Cool, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Moeen, Woakes, Butler, Curran, Rashid, Broad, Anderson works for me.

Pope next cab batting. Drop any of YJB, Stokes or Mo of they don’t score runs. Their second discipline is nice to have.

England really do have a problem with their batting. Currently 128 for 8 after being 54 for no wicket. The shot selection is appalling.

Would you believe it? Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes, two of the best white ball cricketers in the world, showing the England top order how to dig in, play proper Test match cricket and build a partnership. 100 to Buttler just now - awesome effort fellas!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well done OP.

I'm ready to believe there may be one or two local club cricketers on this thread.

Question: anyone of you organised a tour in Sri Lanka this century? Ta