The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Excellent win by England. Good performance by batsmen and bowlers. Thought Bairstow was a selfish twunt for using the review for himself, but then again, what can you expect from a fecking Yorkshireman? Tight bastard, the lot of them. England to win the final.
Bairstow plum LBW and Roy not out, no review and likely to get censored for his stance when given out.
But what do you expect from a Yorkshireman after all home of Sir Geffory Boycott the greatest batsman ever*

* only if your from yorkshire or have a whippet/race pigeons!

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bairstow plum LBW and Roy not out, no review and likely to get censored for his stance when given out.
But what do you expect from a Yorkshireman after all home of Sir Geffory Boycott the greatest batsman ever*

* only if your from yorkshire or have a whippet/race pigeons!
You can tell Boycott is a Yorkshireman, but it's the only fecking thing you can tell him! Why does the wife-beating, know-it-all, talk out of the side of his cakehole? Did his missus get a couple of cheap shots in while he was gonking? Should've asked me, bat up the side of the head and kick him-in-the-fork. Job done!

Just watched the highlights again. One thing for sure, the Aussie attitude didn’t seem right. They just weren’t as abrasive as usual.

I’ll get my coat.
There's obviously a problem in the squad and they can't just sandpaper over the cracks.

Is there room for two in your taxi?

Although I’ve enjoyed the World Cup, what I haven’t been so impressed with is the TV coverage and some of the commentators.

The TV Directors have used far too many crowd shots and slow/super slow-motion replays, but few shots of what’s happening on the overall field of play, by comparison. Given that there is as much happening on the open field as there is with the bowler and batsman, we have been shown little of the field changes and tactical changes that have taken place.

I know they have to show the advertising, but there have been plenty of opportunities to show the wider game at work, which seem to have been taken up with an over-load of graphics and more crowd shots and long, lingering views of people sat on the dressing room balcony doing not much.

I feel it’s time for some of the commentators to be put out to pasture. Michael Holding with his frequent references to players from 40 years ago, Nasser Hussein, who can barely resist any opportunity to criticise England players and as for Mel Jones & Isa Guha, don’t even get me started on their lack of quality. I know my opinions are worthless, but I have conveyed them to Sky Cricket, where they will be just as worthless as when I typed them.

The cricket itself has been good, so I’ll be looking forward to the England win on Sunday.

I thought wearing the Baggy Green Cap was the pinnacle for an Australian Cricketer & being the Captain more so. But both Smith & David Warner (ex Vice Captain) look sure fire to get an Ashes spot a year on. So goes to show cheat, get banned and all is OK, no wonder both have got booed in the ICC World Cup.

Australian coach Justin Langer says we should give them a break, the aussie crowds at the SCG or MCG would not! Take you punishment and realise that for some you crossed the line of what is expected of you as players.

An insult to the Baggy Green & all those that have worn it before & to come.

Sorry but that's my view.

Nasser Hussein, who can barely resist any opportunity to criticise England players
I personally think Nasser, (along with Mike Atherton) is the best of the bunch. He also writes a cracking Newspaper column.
I do agree the sheer number of commentators used was far too many, just so they could demonstrate how right on they are, by ticking the inevitable diversity and inclusion boxes (bloody tedious).
Anyway, was off line yesterday, so unable to contribute, but bloody hell England, how awesome was that! The Aussies too! :-D

I thought wearing the Baggy Green Cap was the pinnacle for an Australian Cricketer & being the Captain more so. But both Smith & David Warner (ex Vice Captain) look sure fire to get an Ashes spot a year on. So goes to show cheat, get banned and all is OK, no wonder both have got booed in the ICC World Cup.

Australian coach Justin Langer says we should give them a break, the aussie crowds at the SCG or MCG would not! Take you punishment and realise that for some you crossed the line of what is expected of you as players.

An insult to the Baggy Green & all those that have worn it before & to come.

Sorry but that's my view.
Couldn't agree more. They almost made me stop watching cricket completely, and now to be brought back is an insult to all, whether Australian or others, who haven't cheated. The ACB should be ashamed that they countenanced their 'redemption'.

Couldn't agree more. They almost made me stop watching cricket completely, and now to be brought back is an insult to all, whether Australian or others, who haven't cheated. The ACB should be ashamed that they countenanced their 'redemption'.
I don’t think Smith and Warner were the first. There’s been a toxic culture at the centre of Australian cricket for a very long time. They were the fall guys; the ones that got caught. Which is why they appear to have got off lightly.

I don’t think Smith and Warner were the first. There’s been a toxic culture at the centre of Australian cricket for a very long time. They were the fall guys; the ones that got caught. Which is why they appear to have got off lightly.
Yeah, right. But at least they were suspended.

Yeah, right. But at least they were suspended.

TBH I think they were very different offences. Warner and Bancroft deliberately took a tool onto the pitch to damage the ball.
Atherton had dust off the pitch in his pocket. And those who used sweets polished the ball, rather than cut it up.

Unlike Atherton (or Afridi, Tendulkar, du Plessis etc), Smith and Warner’s actions were premeditated and involved bullying a junior member of the team to do their dirty work. Nor was it a one off incident; they had been doing it for years.

Unlike Atherton (or Afridi, Tendulkar, du Plessis etc), Smith and Warner’s actions were premeditated and involved bullying a junior member of the team to do their dirty work. Nor was it a one off incident; they had been doing it for years.
There's no love lost between the Aussie team and ... every other team in the world.
They've often been guilty of crossing the line between gamesmanship v outright cheating.
There's been some famous sledging - some of it quite funny, but a lot very nasty and personal.
AS far as the sandpaper incident goes, it took some clever reasoning and analysis from Fanie de Villiers to see something was happening, and fortunately he was in a position with the broadcasters to get them to track the ball all day.
And, as you write, see that the rookie was the scapegoat. Rites of passage for the baggy greens?
Not that the saffers can play holier-than-thou - one episode in the Hansie Cronje scandal involved payments to Gibbs and Williams to 'play to instruction'.
Only problem was that Gibbs is as thick as two short ones, and forgot to get himself out at a certain score!!!!
Hansie was banned, Gibbs kept on playing, and Williams was thrown under the proverbial heavy roller.

EC38FF16-B904-454B-AE4F-253C17AF33D8.jpeg

Come on England!

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The time for speeches has passed, now is the time for the England team to produce the goods. They're good enough and have already beaten their opposition in this competition. I just hope that someone has give Bairstow a kick in the nuts to show him that he is a part of a team, not the team itself!