The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

183 for 2 at stumps. Root and Pope playing some outrageous shots. This new England is entertaining and not without skill. Long may it continue.

Enjoying the day?
Had a blast thanks for asking. Especially as we were in the west stand in amongst the Barmy Army (elements of).

The streaker didn’t make it past the boundary and was proper manhandled out sharpish. Mrs SB commented that ‘if your todger is that small you should never streak’.

We were about 10 rows down from the 2 or 4 utter ********* who had the fist fight.

Other than the tossers above fighting it was a pretty good day apart from the rather dull morning session.

Back to Headingley on 24th Jul to see Eng v SA.

Happy Days.

ETA - The footage on the link is sickening for a cricket match.

Had a blast thanks for asking. Especially as we were in the west stand in amongst the Barmy Army (elements of).

The streaker didn’t make it past the boundary and was proper manhandled out sharpish. Mrs SB commented that ‘if your todger is that small you should never streak’.

We were about 10 rows down from the 2 or 4 utter ********* who had the fist fight.

Other than the tossers above fighting it was a pretty good day apart from the rather dull morning session.

Back to Headingley on 24th Jul to see Eng v SA.

Happy Days.

ETA - The footage on the link is sickening for a cricket match.
Glad you had a good day at the match SB. As for the fight, this kind of nonsense is increasingly happening at cricket. There was a thing about Worcs having to call the police to evict a bunch of fighting p1ssed up knobheads from New Road last week.

Coincidentally I went to a t20 Blast game at the same ground about five years back and it was honestly like a giant stag party with a cricket match going on in the background. No trouble but I could see how it could have easily developed if someone droped beer on the wrong person at the wrong time.

The authorities tut but they've turned a blind eye to these types who can't hold their drink for years. Mainly because they buy lots of it. I hope we dont end up with cricket in the same situation as football was in in the 80s, with fences, banning orders etc.

Glad you had a good day at the match SB. As for the fight, this kind of nonsense is increasingly happening at cricket. There was a thing about Worcs having to call the police to evict a bunch of fighting p1ssed up knobheads from New Road last week.

Coincidentally I went to a t20 Blast game at the same ground about five years back and it was honestly like a giant stag party with a cricket match going on in the background. No trouble but I could see how it could have easily developed if someone droped beer on the wrong person at the wrong time.

The authorities tut but they've turned a blind eye to these types who can't hold their drink for years. Mainly because they buy lots of it. I hope we dont end up with cricket in the same situation as football was in in the 80s, with fences, banning orders etc.

No class northerners wouldn't happen down at Lords XD

I share your concerns.

We went to see Yorkshire v Lancashire at the T20 blast a few weeks back and again (by default not design) we were in the west stand.

I was pretty shocked to say the least at some of the behaviour (alcohol fuelled) and foul abuse given to the Lancs players as well as the odd Lancs fan nearby.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect to see blazered gentleman applauding every ball and brylcreemed children all scoring the match on their knees but I have seen better behaviour and far less language at Chelsea FC.

I put some of it down to the Roses rivalry. I am a Sussex lad and it was my first T20 up here as only moved up last year.

My only thoughts were that by keeping the more rowdy types in 1 or 2 stands it possibly makes it easier for the stewards to manage as the rest of the ground was as you would expect at a cricket match.

Must admit though that when the beer cup snake was finally split up and then ‘distributed’ to us in the lower seating I now know what the Spartans experienced at Thermopylae for indeed the sun was temporarily obscured by the rain of arrows cups!

Apologies for the long, slightly hurumph, post. So come on England, let’s make it 3 - 0 with this new more positive play.

Last edited:
Bad behavior is not just confined to the stands either. Yesterday and Saturday there were constant delays whilst the doors were shut and people stopped moving, in the hospitality suites.
I know they have to constantly visit the free bar/toilet/snack trolley, but surely the doors should just be closed when the batsmen is facing them.
A warning should be given to offenders and then removal if it continues.
The over rate is slow enough without these constant delays due to either ignorance or a sense of entitlement.

"I've paid hundreds of pounds for this suite and I shall come and go as I please"

"Not whilst Bairstow is on 99 and facing your ******* door you won't mate!"

Rain delays play in the Test, so Sky decide to show the womens cricket instead. Normally I'd abhor this false equivalence.

However, Lauren Bell bowls a mean in-swinger and for the avoidance of doubt, I would.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
I share your concerns.

We went to see Yorkshire v Lancashire at the T20 blast a few weeks back and again (by default not design) we were in the west stand.

I was pretty shocked to say the least at some of the behaviour (alcohol fuelled) and foul abuse given to the Lancs players as well as the odd Lancs fan nearby.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect to see blazered gentleman applauding every ball and brylcreemed children all scoring the match on their knees but I have seen better behaviour and far less language at Chelsea FC.

I put some of it down to the Roses rivalry. I am a Sussex lad and it was my first T20 up here as only moved up last year.

My only thoughts were that by keeping the more rowdy types in 1 or 2 stands it possibly makes it easier for the stewards to manage as the rest of the ground was as you would expect at a cricket match.

Must admit though that when the beer cup snake was finally split up and then ‘distributed’ to us in the lower seating I now know what the Spartans experienced at Thermopylae for indeed the sun was temporarily obscured by the rain of arrows cups!

Apologies for the long, slightly hurumph, post. So come on England, let’s make it 3 - 0 with this new more positive play.
Ned Junior took his wife to the same match on the Friday evening. He is a robust character but said that he was horrified by the atmosphere. Apparently it got worse on the train into town afterwords in a carriage packed with pissed Manx City fans who were openly intimidating anyone who was not part of their immediate tribe. He is a passionate cricket fan but will definitely think twice about taking his other half.

We’ll this is shaping up well. England went bonkers in the second half of NZ innings with some of their bowling and field settings and are now 21-4 in their first innings

A 3-0 series win is looking increasingly unlikely

Well that aged well

Congratulations to England a remarkable turn-around. It’s like watching a completely new team although it’s made up of largely the same players - kudos to the new management who’ve obviously instilled a new positive way of playing

I believe that's what's known as brutal.

Knocked off 113 in just over an hour and finish with a 6.

Kiwis losing half their bowlers during the series hasn't helped them, but that's been some series.

England's premier spinner took 10fer.
NZ's carried the drinks!
Great series and a joy to watch the new England. Let's hope when this new style doesn't work ( and it won't work every time) the critics remember the last few weeks.

I've just logged in to catch the end and it is already all over.
Ridiculous and brilliant .
So just what was wrong with the old management.
This hasn't come about just because we have a different skipper.

I've just logged in to catch the end and it is already all over.
Ridiculous and brilliant .
So just what was wrong with the old management.
This hasn't come about just because we have a different skipper.
Different skipper and different coach means the players can express themselves without fear of failure.
Root was under so much pressure not to lose that he......errrr lost. How he managed to keep up his batting during the last couple of years, just shows how good a player he is.
There is a long way to go and there will be failures on the way, but the players look like they are enjoying themselves again.

Different skipper and different coach means the players can express themselves without fear of failure.
Root was under so much pressure not to lose that he......errrr lost. How he managed to keep up his batting during the last couple of years, just shows how good a player he is.
There is a long way to go and there will be failures on the way, but the players look like they are enjoying themselves again.
Thanks, my new radio doesn't do long wave so I cannot get TMS.
Must buy another radio.

I just watched the post match interviews with Stokes and then McCullum on Sky.
I take back what I said about Stokes some time ago on this thread. I (along with many others) thought he wasn’t mentally strong enough to carry the Captaincy. His post match interview was a revelation. Calm, articulate and on top of his brief - he seems to be the real deal. As for McCullum, he is a real breath of fresh air.
Very optimistic for the future of this team, even when the inevitable finally happens and Jimmy and Stuart call it a day.
So many positives - bring on India!

Last edited:

Pagan-Image

War Hero
Thanks, my new radio doesn't do long wave so I cannot get TMS.
Must buy another radio.
Get an Alexa and just ask it to play five live sports extra!

Latest Threads