The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

My point was that living in a long term state of hope is not a customary situation for fans of English, let alone British motor sport.

Of your list of great England cricketers, none stand tallest amongst their contemporary international peers. Not even Botham; Kapil Dev and Imran Khan were his match. And you left off the only England cricketer in my time who genuinely changed the test game; but he was South African.
Tell us about the sandpaper again...

Of your list of great England cricketers, none stand tallest amongst their contemporary international peers. Not even Botham; Kapil Dev and Imran Khan were his match. And you left off the only England cricketer in my time who genuinely changed the test game; but he was South African.
With respect, total nonsense imo. John Snow was the best fast bowler in the world in 1970, Botham was a miles better all round player than Kapil (or Hadlee). Not as good a bowler as Imran but a better batsman and fielder.

Anderson has been more consistent than any other fast bowler in world cricket in the last 15 years. Gooch was better than any other bat in 1990-93, in which he averaged nearly 60. And so on.

My point was that living in a long term state of hope is not a customary situation for fans of English, let alone British motor sport.

Whilst not disagreeing with you, I have to say that sometimes the hope is realised. Whilst not an advocate of the shorter forms, I have to say that 2019 vs NZ was a truly memorable victory, and one that I’ll never forget.

As for the 2005 ashes. Truly and outstandingly memorable victory against very formidable opponents.

These victories make it all worthwhile (for me, anyhow).

I am no expert on motorsport but wasn't there quite a long time when all the cars went round and round for an hour and a half and then the red car won? Might have been a German chap.
Happy to be corrected.

With respect, total nonsense imo. John Snow was the best fast bowler in the world in 1970, Botham was a miles better all round player than Kapil (or Hadlee). Not as good a bowler as Imran but a better batsman and fielder.

Anderson has been more consistent than any other fast bowler in world cricket in the last 15 years. Gooch was better than any other bat in 1990-93, in which he averaged nearly 60. And so on.
There isn’t much “and so on” is there though? You can pick isolated examples to justify your argument, but very rarely has any England cricketer been the top (or near top) ranking batsman or bowler for anything other than a short period.

As for your examples, Snow had one great series and only lasted 49 tests. He’s the 75th best bowler ever on the ICC rankings (Jimmy Anderson is 20th). Compared with Snow’s contemporary in Dennis Lillee, his record is mediocre. Imran had significantly better career batting and bowling averages than Botham; Imran’s bowling average puts him amongst the best fast bowlers ever. Kapil took more wickets and scored more runs.

Gooch scored the most runs in a calendar year in 1990, but it was heavily loaded with his 333. It’s only the 45th largest annual aggregate. He doesn’t make the top 50 for centuries in a year.

It’s hard to make a case for any any England cricketer since 1970 to be the best of his generation, let alone the best ever. Which is perhaps why England success is sporadic; for ever Ashes win there’s a couple of white washes. England have never put together a long period at the top of the rankings.

Hope Thorpey's not going to draw stumps. Good luck to him and fingers crossed.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Breaking News. Brendan McCullum is the new England Test Coach.
Excellent appointment imho. First opponents - New Zealand!

Just watched a fantastic Roses T20 match. Full house and brilliant cricket. Why on earth do they still want to inflict that abomination The Hundred on us?

Just watched a fantastic Roses T20 match. Full house and brilliant cricket. Why on earth do they still want to inflict that abomination The Hundred on us?

Kent have lucked out in the last 2 games but still much better cricket.
Better if it wasn't subject to a subscription service though...

1653729226950.png

Kent have lucked out in the last 2 games but still much better cricket.
Better if it wasn't subject to a subscription service though...
I'm staggered that Middlesex are actually doing well in the Blast this year. Most seasons (except 2008 ) we've had a reaction to the competition akin to pouring salt on a slug.

Incidentally, apropos of nothing, after two months we still don't know what Jason Roy did to get two match banned. Good bit of transparency from the ECB there!

Bit of a whinge in The Times today as Lords is not sold out for the Test.
Hundred quid for a restricted view ticket, to watch a team that haven't won a game, and been dire to watch, for ages, on a Bank Holiday Weekend.

Quelle surprise!

Squad for the 50 over internatonals in June announced.

Thought one - Good to see a couple of lefties in for bowling variety

Thought two - David Payne has a chin approaching Bruce Forsyth proportions

RIP Jim Parks, former England wicketkeeper. Leaves Raman Subba Row & Roy Swetman as the last surviving England players who'd toured in the 50s

I see England have discovered a couple of cracking opening bowlers this morning. :roll:
New Zealand (No 1 rated Test Team), currently 8 for 3 at Lords, having opted to bat first.

Latest Threads