The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Almost at the end of my first early morning, of what I hope will be 25 early mornings, to get set in front of the box to watch the Ashes live.

Fire on, dogs settled and Mrs SB a-slumber: one of the benefits of retirement.

However, I will not be able to manage 24 more mornings of sheer disappointment such as this.

Is the 4 day weather forecast down there going to allow the possibility of eeking out a draw?

Almost at the end of my first early morning, of what I hope will be 25 early mornings, to get set in front of the box to watch the Ashes live.

Fire on, dogs settled and Mrs SB a-slumber: one of the benefits of retirement.

However, I will not be able to manage 24 more mornings of sheer disappointment such as this.

Is the 4 day weather forecast down there going to allow the possibility of eeking out a draw?
The weather is very unstable at the moment. The Bureau of Meteorology forecast for Brisbane is pretty poor; 80% of rain tomorrow, 60, Friday and 50 Saturday and Sunday.

The storm showers have been very violent; we had a heavy hail storm yesterday. We’re seeing 30-50 mm of rain in an hour and we’re 500km south of Brisbane.

There’ll certainly be a lot of interruptions. Quite likely no play tomorrow.

From the BBC:

"In many respects we've got nothing to lose coming here for this series."

Root, who is captaining England in a third Ashes series, added: "I don't think avoiding defeat will define the series but it'll certainly put us in a really strong position and give us a great opportunity moving forward into the rest of it.

I can't help getting the sense that England are setting their sights low and showing a disturbing lack of self-belief. We all know the Gabba's difficult....but really? Don't we even aspire to winning any more?
I'm sorry. I was wrong. Root was in fact being unrealistically optimistic and bullish about England's chances of avoiding the usual ritual stuffing.

I apologise for any misunderstanding.

147. That's pretty good right?

We are playing the Aussies in the Hundred aren't we?

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Not the most encouraging of performances! But more importantly, we went in with the wrong plan and the wrong team, even if it was for what appeared to be the right reasons before the series started.

Still, with the forecast as it is, there's a chance we might have parity on the runs scored at the end of day 2 (if not in wickets down) and from then in, we can play the clock as much as the Aussies and try and get out of this with a 0-0 and a few blows landed on their batsmen.

Woakes and Robinson are both test class if there's cloud cover to help get a bit out of the new version of the kookaburra.

Not the most encouraging of performances! But more importantly, we went in with the wrong plan and the wrong team, even if it was for what appeared to be the right reasons before the series started.

Still, with the forecast as it is, there's a chance we might have parity on the runs scored at the end of day 2 (if not in wickets down) and from then in, we can play the clock as much as the Aussies and try and get out of this with a 0-0 and a few blows landed on their batsmen.

Woakes and Robinson are both test class if there's cloud cover to help get a bit out of the new version of the kookaburra.
Wrong team indeed. It’s a green pitch with cloud and high humidity with reports the new style Kook ball swings longer and later yet no Broad (especially with the amount of left handlers in the Aussie top order). Feel Robinson is going to be the linchpin of the attack providing the skipper makes the right choice and uses him early when the ball is still hard. Woakes will give it his all as always and Wood can lob down a few snorters but the tennis ball bounce may work against him so always looking for the edge. Reports that the pitch will get easier aren’t inspiring either.
A long road ahead with only the weather as a positive.
Day one to.

I suspect the weather forecast played a part, with the management thinking it was likely to be a draw so why not save Broad for later in the series?

Not the first time the isobars has had this effect on an Ashes Test. In Headingley '89 they all assumed from the poor forecast it'd be a two and a half day Test, so we played with no spinner and no variety in the bowling, bowled first, and got a bumming.

I suspect the weather forecast played a part, with the management thinking it was likely to be a draw so why not save Broad for later in the series?

Not the first time the isobars has had this effect on an Ashes Test. In Headingley '89 they all assumed from the poor forecast it'd be a two and a half day Test, so we played with no spinner and no variety in the bowling, bowled first, and got a bumming.
Needs a rest? Sorry but rubbish. The fact that one of the main worries prior to the series starting was the lack of actual match play some of the key players have had. To rest the best swing bowler against left handed batsmen (plus the fact Warner can’t play him) is a massive error, in my opinion. Now there may be an unannounced reason that SB wasn’t selected but to rest him? BS!
Playing a spinner might be a reasonable punt IF the weather was around 100f and the pitch resemble a dried out billabong, but as has been mentioned the middle is greener than the MP for Brighton. Unless of course you have real Lyon in your side.

I was there, and the humidity was off the charts. Nobody could believe that Root opted to bat first. Worst captain’s decision ever (that doesn’t involve cock pics)…

The fact that it was such a poor decision to bat first I wonder if the ICC will be looking into any allegations of spot fixing...

Joooooke!!!

Ollie Robinson strikes immediately!

Marcus Harris gone for 3

Edit, Wood bowling at 94mph!

I was there, and the humidity was off the charts. Nobody could believe that Root opted to bat first. Worst captain’s decision ever (that doesn’t involve cock pics)…
My oldest lad works in Brisbane and has tickets for Friday.
He was telling me today they are having really weird weather for this time of the year and, one way or the other, he hopes there will be play.