The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

More woke bollocks from the MCC. Except it's not actually the MCC - just a small appointed committee who the membership didn't vote into office and have no control over (think EU in miniature). Apparently, the members weren't even consulted and the committee didn't bother to take even a sample of opinions. But now it's the Law. Utter shYte.

Scorcher68

War Hero

More woke bollocks from the MCC. Except it's not actually the MCC - just a small appointed committee who the membership didn't vote into office and have no control over (think EU in miniature). Apparently, the members weren't even consulted and the committee didn't bother to take even a sample of opinions. But now it's the Law. Utter shYte.

You feel that this is just the beginning also.

Would the term 'fanny batter' for a female batsperson be deemed offensive?

Seems entirely sensible.

TBH players and commentators have been using the term batter for 15 years or more. Certainly back to Michale Vaughan’s days as England Captain (it used to grate with me when he was interviewed).

Not sure I see anything woke in here; just the MCC catching up with evolving use of English.

Scorcher68

War Hero
TBH players and commentators have been using the term batter for 15 years or more. Certainly back to Michale Vaughan’s days as England Captain (it used to grate with me when he was interviewed).

Not sure I see anything woke in here; just the MCC catching up with evolving use of English.

I am happy to suffer this as long as Isa Guha continues to wear boots . Probably belongs on another thread.

The television cameras will not show you her rear, when wearing tight trousers.

I was fortunate enough to catch a glimpse when she walked past during the fourth test at the Oval – bloody impressive!

Despite the ECB trying their best to completely fcuk up the Domestic season, the destiny of the County Championship is going to the wire. Potentially 4 teams still in with a shout of lifting the trophy with a day and a half to go.
The revamped Championship (one off due to Covid) isn’t to everyone’s taste, but there’s no denying it’s providing some great drama at the end of the season.

Despite the ECB trying their best to completely fcuk up the Domestic season, the destiny of the County Championship is going to the wire. Potentially 4 teams still in with a shout of lifting the trophy with a day and a half to go.
The revamped Championship (one off due to Covid) isn’t to everyone’s taste, but there’s no denying it’s providing some great drama at the end of the season.

My Preston mate went to Aigburth – I am an utter fool for not joining him – and reported that the Liverpool CC pavilion tonight resembled Piccadilly Circus on VE night!

My Preston mate went to Aigburth – I am an utter fool for not joining him – and reported that the Liverpool CC pavilion tonight resembled Piccadilly Circus on VE night!
I saw Lancashire win at Taunton last week, but sadly, couldn’t make it to Liverpool. I had to resort to following the game on the BBC website. Absolutely nerve shredding - what a game! Commiserations to Hampshire, they must be gutted.
If Warwickshire beat Somerset tomorrow, they will take the Championship and it will be Warwickshire against Lancashire in the Bob Willis Trophy next week at Lords. I’ll definitely get up to London to catch at least one of the days, but will need to keep an eye on the weather!

Congratulations to Warwickshire, County Champions 2021.

Bet Tim Bresnan didn't think he'd win another CC medal after leaving Yorks!

Well, Moeen Ali has wrapped his test tits in. Gonna concentrate on the white ball.
Good for him, as seeing as England have no common approach to spin, he’s been getting the runaround.

Last edited:
1633010245010.png

Just one normal day of European Championship Cricket

Finland start the game against England with EIGHT in the slips, and a leg slip for good measure.

Last edited:

Wee Hawken

War Hero

Need to be realistic - there are 17,000 members and we get consulted on the major (big money) stuff like ground redevelopment etc. But not about the Laws of Cricket!

Personal view - it might take a bit of getting used to but the sky won't cave in because of a different word. And women's cricket is "on the map" now in a way in which it wasn't even a couple of years ago.

Apart from the Bufton Tuftons, I doubt many of the members will think it a big deal. But we will probably carry on using the old word for a bit!!

View attachment 607402

Just one normal day of European Championship Cricket

Finland start the game against England with EIGHT in the slips, and a leg slip for good measure.

A rarely seen 8-1 field!

Stephen Fleming did this 20 years back for NZ's series in Oz. To play on Damien Martyn's habit of dominating the offside, he set an 8-1 field & put 4 deep points, all in a row. It messed with Martyn's head, which was the real intention.