The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

So New Zealand rest players before the big test final next week?
England pick a side with a few 2XI players & a 2nd rate keeper & we implode.
Feck you are giving the people test caps when most would not get in our village 2XI on current form!
More disturbingly, aside from Bracey who isn't a proper keeper, most of those in there are first picks. There's only Stokes and possibly Butler who'd come in instead. And/or a spinner.

Fat POM

War Hero
They obviously have some alternative arrangements for Sunday. The moneymen will not be pleased.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I am reminded of my favourite comedy characters.
I started with Tony Hancock, "Oh dear, oh dear oh dear"
Then Cpl Fraser .... "Doomed I tell ya"
Now its Father Jack, "Feck arrse ..........DRINK"

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Now we have not just lost a match, but a series. Which makes my blood boil as if we had gone for it in that achievable but competitive run chase last test match, it may have been equal, but not only have we thrown it away then its a humiliation.

I did buy my wife a very cute kiwi cuddly toy at a test match stall some years ago. I am going to abuse it. Pathetic I admit, futile, indeed. Will the neighbours call mental health services and the police as I threaten a toy with a revolver and roll about on the patio kicking the crap out of it, very probably.

Fat POM

War Hero
A perfectly reasonable response to my mind.

I should be used to it but I still struggle to believe that this is the best on offer.

Only England. Win the Toss, have a bat instead of inserting the opposition and lose inside 3 days, at home.
Once again, arrogance and complacency rule the roost. Stuart Broad was quoted a few weeks back as saying England would beat both New Zealand and India this summer.
“It’s England, it’s what we do”! :rofl:
Root out as I type. Embarrassing doesn’t come close.

Now we have not just lost a match, but a series. Which makes my blood boil as if we had gone for it in that achievable but competitive run chase last test match, it may have been equal, but not only have we thrown it away then its a humiliation.

I did buy my wife a very cute kiwi cuddly toy at a test match stall some years ago. I am going to abuse it. Pathetic I admit, futile, indeed. Will the neighbours call mental health services and the police as I threaten a toy with a revolver and roll about on the patio kicking the crap out of it, very probably.
Its not the cute kiwi cuddly toy you should be abusing. The kiwis turned up and performed as professional cricketers should. They did their jobs as one would expect.

You need three cute soft toy lions and you need to batter the f**k out of them instead. It’s England who failed to show any temperament, spine or competitive spirit, and it was England who mentally disintegrated and cravenly caved in.

Sack the lot of them and start again!

(Well, most of them, perhaps, not quite all)

One of the irritating T-shirts the team wore at the start stated that they were against something called "ableism".

Well done England. Conclusively proved you're not going to discriminate in favour of people who are able to bat.

Only England. Win the Toss, have a bat instead of inserting the opposition and lose inside 3 days, at home.
Once again, arrogance and complacency rule the roost. Stuart Broad was quoted a few weeks back as saying England would beat both New Zealand and India this summer.
“It’s England, it’s what we do”! :rofl:
Root out as I type. Embarrassing doesn’t come close.
The decision to bat first was correct, this is a flat pitch. The batting was just cr@p. The standard of the county championship is the lowest it's been since the late 80s, not helped by playing so many of the matches in April/May/September.

The decision to bat first was correct, this is a flat pitch.
I disagree with that. It was overcast on the first morning - probably the best conditions for our bowling attack, minus a front line spinner!
Agree about the batting though - it’s been abysmal.

I disagree with that. It was overcast on the first morning - probably the best conditions for our bowling attack, minus a front line spinner!
Agree about the batting though - it’s been abysmal.
I was idly wondering: when was the last time we went into two consecutive Tests with no full time spinner? One for the stattos. Even in, say, the Windies in the 80s when spin would play a minimal part, we used to have Emburey, Edmonds, and sometimes both.