The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

I found myself thinking that I actually want the last 6 wickets to fall quickly so we can get the inevitable over and done with and I can get on with stuff without thinking about the cricket. They have been truly shocking these last three tests.

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Look on the bright side, peeps. Don't have to get out of bed early tomorrow and the One Days start at sensible o'clock.

I do agree that since the joy of the first Test it's been embarrassing

Agree pretty much. But someone should be standing up and scoring good runs on that pitch.

Not going to engage on the issue of Aussie cricketers going to SA other than to say they followed quite clear government advice that Australians should not travel to South Africa.
Our views on “elite sport” differ as they can and have travelled across the world, with single figure cases. This test series has been sacrificed for the white ball game, as Morgan will have the 10 men he wants were as root had maybe 6.

The treatment of Ali, Bess has been disgraceful, well played India.

Look on the bright side, peeps. Don't have to get out of bed early tomorrow and the One Days start at sensible o'clock.

I do agree that since the joy of the first Test it's been embarrassing
Considering India have lost four tests on home soil since 2012, it’s not all that embarrassing.

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Considering India have lost four tests on home soil since 2012, it’s not all that embarrassing.
I think that the batting has been embarrassing. Repeatedly failing to score two hundred , in the first innings, for a team aspiring to be the best in the world is embarrassing.

Fortunately, as an England supporter, I have become familiar with such performances. I am, however, looking forward to seeing Kohli hopping around on green seamers later in the year.

I think that the batting has been embarrassing. Repeatedly failing to score two hundred , in the first innings, for a team aspiring to be the best in the world is embarrassing.

Fortunately, as an England supporter, I have become familiar with such performances. I am, however, looking forward to seeing Kohli hopping around on green seamers later in the year.
Indeed, I think a major part of the strategy for this tour was making sure we didn’t break Stones, Archer, Wood etc for the forthcoming tour of OZ.

I am, however, looking forward to seeing Kohli hopping around on green seamers later in the year.
The Test Championship final at Lords between India and New Zealand will be a real test for the Indian batting line up, particularly if it is prepared as seamer friendly.
NZ have arguably the best seam attack in Cricket.
Looking forward to that game.
ETA. What hasn’t really been talked about due to England’s capitulation with the bat, is this much vaunted Indian batting line up failed to pass 400 on home soil!

Last edited:
The Test Championship final at Lords between India and New Zealand will be a real test for the Indian batting line up, particularly if it is prepared as seamer friendly.
Do you know dates for this? I presume it'll be fitted in in the last two weeks of May, before the England NZ series starts.

Do you know dates for this? I presume it'll be fitted in in the last two weeks of May, before the England NZ series starts.
It takes place in June I believe.

ETA. What hasn’t really been talked about due to England’s capitulation with the bat, is this much vaunted Indian batting line up failed to pass 400 on home soil!
They had a team to select from, we had a restricted team to select from, oh and they now have three world class spinners.
Jimmy Anderson needs a knighthood!

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
If Pant can get a ton on that wicket, Stokes and Root can do fifty each, but alas, not so. England need desperately to be coached on spin.

I'm not sure that the England batting line up has anyone that can simply dig in and be both patient and stubborn when playing a Test. I wouldn't necessarily want 6 batsmen going at it like Sir Geoffrey in the old days, but if some of his determined grit could find its way into some of our modern players, they might be able to play the Indians a little better and not feel the need to try and hit sixes all the time.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
There are no pitches in the UK which remotely resemble an Indian dust bowl, in fact there are few pitches outside of Bangladesh that are anything like an Indian pitch, even Pakistan prepare firmer pitches more geared to fast bowling.

One of the Indian pitches was a disgrace to the groundsman. Dusty and breaking up on day 2 of 5. That's not a test pitch, I've played on better than that on Southport beach.

Additionally, some absolutely shocking umpiring. I called more LBWs correctly than the umpires did. (I have done umpire training BTW). Even worse, they didn't have to look for the no-ball as this was done by the third umpire.

that said, England batsmen showed little determination and even less nous against spin bowling. The chop and change team selection policy was shambolic. If I was Bess I'd tell them to stick it and go back to county cricket, same with Bairstow.

Depressing.

I'm not sure that the England batting line up has anyone that can simply dig in and be both patient and stubborn when playing a Test. I wouldn't necessarily want 6 batsmen going at it like Sir Geoffrey in the old days, but if some of his determined grit could find its way into some of our modern players, they might be able to play the Indians a little better and not feel the need to try and hit sixes all the time.
Dom sibley and Zak Crawley along with root can when the pitch offers, Lawrence showed this test he can also.
Indias pitches get away with poor standards because the ICC won’t censure them.

let’s see how they play over here, first?

Fat POM

Old-Salt
As an aside, you have to feel for C4 who took the risk of putting Test cricket on council telly and were rewarded with two and three day Tests. I wonder if they will be queuing up next time?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
i suspect that they will for the home tests or the Ashes, but their commentary and commenting is still crap in comparison with the BBC.

Fat POM

Old-Salt
i suspect that they will for the home tests or the Ashes, but their commentary and commenting is still crap in comparison with the BBC.
I think the commentary was the host broadcaster but they were crap.

Latest Threads