The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

I realise Broad will have summat to prove.
Archer is the slipperiest (?) fast bowler on the Planet at present.
Jimmy is simply the Goat ,and Leach is a very decent spin bowler......

We're in the 'needing a f#ckin miracle' phase of the match/series.
It may last some while.
( Or not!)

Bob Upndown

War Hero
So, good effort in the field this morning...W.T.ACTUAL.F is going on with the bat - 26-3 after 11 overs????

TBF, both sides are getting out cheaply, condition of the track perhaps?

The England batting line up needs Geoffrey’s Mums stick of rhubarb!
What a shower of shit!

England now all out. India require 49 runs and have the rest of today (thirty-something overs) plus all of days three, four and five to get them.

England require ten wickets. It’s in the balance!

I don’t suppose there’s any chance of rain?

Anyone notice Sir AC's little comment re. the Ginger Tyke?
" He didn't play that ball terribly well....
actually he didn't play either of the balls he faced terribly well"

Don't expect a Christmas card next time Al.

Last edited:
We need to make sure we lose the next test as well so Australia don’t qualify for the international test final.

Shouldn’t be hard.

Scorcher68

Old-Salt
When Stokes gets his head down and bats like this you wonder how he only averages 37 odd he has a much higher ceiling than that .I do fully accept he will do something silly next , Interesting to hear Sunny Gavaskar's comments . Not a bad player in his day !

Turning out to be a great, absorbing Test match - England fighting back with the ball.

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Third Innings crucial for England. Can they bat as poorly again?

Sadly, every England fan knows the answer to that one.

Large sigh, we live in hope.

Third Innings crucial for England. Can they bat as poorly again?

Sadly, every England fan knows the answer to that one.

Large sigh, we live in hope.
If this was the Steve Waugh Australia team, India would know they weren't out of the woods as the second innings might be a 450+ monster, setting them a tough 4th innings target.

But it's us, so we'll probably limp to 260, they'll win and we'll say "we've learned a lesson here" which they haven't because the bloody batsmen keep making the same mistakes.

If this was the Steve Waugh Australia team, India would know they weren't out of the woods as the second innings might be a 450+ monster, setting them a tough 4th innings target.

But it's us, so we'll probably limp to 260, they'll win and we'll say "we've learned a lesson here" which they haven't because the bloody batsmen keep making the same mistakes.
‘Limp to 260’? If only! We haven’t got anywhere near that in the past 6 Innings.
I thought we did pretty well today until Pant (and Sundar to be fair) took it away from us.
Great effort by the bowlers, but I’m struggling to understand the inclusion of a clearly low on confidence Bess, at the exclusion of Broad, Wood or Stone?
Anderson and Stokes (and Leach) were immense today, but they couldn’t do it all in those conditions.

TBH this whole rotation policy is nuts. I get the need to protect players, but England aren’t anywhere putting out their best team. So they’ve ended up badly unbalanced with a long tail. Meanwhile there are players who’ve been in India the whole tour and haven’t got a game.

How different this side would look with Butler, Woakes and Moeen in the lower order instead of Lawrence, Foakes and Bess. Stronger batting, stronger fast bowling and a couple of counter attacking batsman.

TBH this whole rotation policy is nuts. I get the need to protect players, but England aren’t anywhere putting out their best team. So they’ve ended up badly unbalanced with a long tail. Meanwhile there are players who’ve been in India the whole tour and haven’t got a game.

How different this side would look with Butler, Woakes and Moeen in the lower order instead of Lawrence, Foakes and Bess. Stronger batting, stronger fast bowling and a couple of counter attacking batsman.
Lawrence scored higher than all apart from stokes, credit where credit is due, to tour while the pandemic is ongoing is credible and applaudable. Whilst Aussie cricketers refused to go to SA.

We have a young team, to win one match on those pitches is credible, let’s see how the Indians fair over here.

Lawrence scored higher than all apart from stokes, credit where credit is due, to tour while the pandemic is ongoing is credible and applaudable. Whilst Aussie cricketers refused to go to SA.

We have a young team, to win one match on those pitches is credible, let’s see how the Indians fair over here.
Agree pretty much. But someone should be standing up and scoring good runs on that pitch.

Not going to engage on the issue of Aussie cricketers going to SA other than to say they followed quite clear government advice that Australians should not travel to South Africa.

Thank goodness we picked an extra batsman! :roll:
This is beyond embarrassing and the annoying thing is, the One Day team will be at full strength next week. They can spin it how they want (I know!) but the rotation policy has been a complete disaster for team cohesion and massively disrespectful to India.
England have reaped what they sowed.

Latest Threads