The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Test Cricket. Despite the views of non-believers, there is rarely a dull day!
The fight back is on. Great innings by Rohit though.

The great majority of our batsmen are going to learn an awfully large amount about themselves and their skills,or lack thereof, in the next 24 hrs or so....

Root, Stokes(and Moeen) aside.

Anyone want to offer up the 'surprise' name that'll enhance his reputation?
I reckon Pope is our best bet at finding a score to get us close to parity.

By days 3-4 it's going to be a total lottery.

Enthralling throughout, well done Ch4. Imagine how many bored young kids are soaking this up?
Priceless.

I feel those overs by Root have been invaluable. The bowling attack was at a loss, India scoring freely, Moeen Ali going fir nearly five an over, nothing in the wicket for pace. Heads had dropped, in pops Root, bowls good line and length, pushing the batsmen back and showing his bowlers what he wants; bang three wickets for 36 runs.

Outstanding captaincy.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
The look on Kohli’s face when bowled for a duck by Ali will stay with me for a looooooooong time :p

The great majority of our batsmen are going to learn an awfully large amount about themselves and their skills,or lack thereof, in the next 24 hrs or so....

Root, Stokes(and Moeen) aside.

Anyone want to offer up the 'surprise' name that'll enhance his reputation?
I reckon Pope is our best bet at finding a score to get us close to parity.
Lawrence? I agree it's a great way to find out who's really got it and who's a flat track bully.

IMG-20210213-WA0022.jpg

They have got 300 on the board, 6 down, and Pant is still at the crease. I will wake up at 5.30-6 ish tomorrow and put it on the radio, but I am expecting to hear that India are building what will be - on this wicket - a substantial first innings total.

Rubbish. They’re not going because the advice from the Federal Government is that Australians should not travel to South Africa. There is near zero public support for at tour to SA at this time and a number of senior politicians have questioned it occurring.

The idea that they aren’t touring because the players are mentally shot or don’t want to quarantine is a fantasy. It’s political. The stupid thing it that Cricket Australia went ahead and planned the tour; it was never going to happen.

Yet 9 of them are off to play IPL ?
Read the article by Neil Manthorp.

You have to look at it through the lens of a country that has largely avoided Covid. Where a single case puts a state into lockdown and where states close their borders to and impose 14 days quarantine on residents of other states that have a single community transmission case. A country that has a queue of around 50,000 citizens who have been waiting for a flight home and a quarantine space.

There is near zero political or public support for the Australian cricket team to tour South Africa. If the tour went ahead and it imported but a single case of the SA Covid strain, there would be hell to pay.

And yet, England are in India, and the West Indians are in Bangladesh.

There’s always something with the Australians.

I
And yet, England are in India, and the West Indians are in Bangladesh.

There’s always something with the Australians.
Completely missing the fact that Cricket Australia cancelled the South Africa tour on the advice of the Australian government. To be clear, current Federal government advice to Australians is not to travel to South Africa.

Any Australian leaving Australia has to get permission to depart; it’s issued on a case-by-case basis. They are not being issued for travel to any country with aa government travel warning except for permanent departure. The government was under significant pressure issue departure permits the South Africa cricket tour.

Any Australian returning to Australia from overseas has to wait for a place in quarantine. If special arrangement had been made for the cricket team and subsequently the SA strain leaked out of quarantine, there would be political hell to pay.

Rightly so. Australia is near Covid free.

I

Completely missing the fact that Cricket Australia cancelled the South Africa tour on the advice of the Australian government. To be clear, current Federal government advice to Australians is not to travel to South Africa.

Any Australian leaving Australia has to get permission to depart; it’s issued on a case-by-case basis. They are not being issued for travel to any country with aa government travel warning except for permanent departure. The government was under significant pressure issue departure permits the South Africa cricket tour.

Any Australian returning to Australia from overseas has to wait for a place in quarantine. If special arrangement had been made for the cricket team and subsequently the SA strain leaked out of quarantine, there would be political hell to pay.

Rightly so. Australia is near Covid free.
Just need to amend that last paragraph slightly.
"Any Australian returning to Australia from overseas has to wait for a place in quarantine unless they are rich and famous.

Just need to amend that last paragraph slightly.
"Any Australian returning to Australia from overseas has to wait for a place in quarantine unless they are rich and famous.
Don’t know about the other states, but the NSW Public Health Order allows for anyone to apply to quarantine in alternative facilities. Problem is for most, the cost is prohibitive and the don’t have access to a suitable property.

And you get bumped off your flight ;)
Not sure about NSW but Qld Health allowed Danni Minogue to quarantine at a location so secret the police didn't even know where it was to check up on her. Here in South Australia it has emerged that a cheese eating surrender monkey involved in the submarine project has been allowed to quarantine in a private house somewhere, some problem with the big white flag getting wet under water apparently. Oh and don't forget Kerry Stokes and family being allowed to basically dictate their own terms on quarantine..

Yet 9 of them are off to play IPL ?
Read the article by Neil Manthorp.
Isn't the IPL being held in biosecure Abu Dhabi this year? I can't see how our series that finishes late March is biosecure / no crowds, and the IPL which starts mid-April is 30,000 crowd / no problem.

India has a bigger Covid problem than here or Oz, they surely can't justify playing the IPL with crowds.

Isn't the IPL being held in biosecure Abu Dhabi this year? I can't see how our series that finishes late March is biosecure / no crowds, and the IPL which starts mid-April is 30,000 crowd / no problem.

India has a bigger Covid problem than here or Oz, they surely can't justify playing the IPL with crowds.

The next test in Ahdemabad is at a 110,000 seater stadium. They are letting 55,000 spectators in.

It‘ll be fine.

No, honestly it will.

Six wickets and all three reviews gone.l.......

When I was a kid, playing in the man's League, I was always taught.
"Play the ball, not the bowler"
Ffs!
I know they've been umpires call, but how have they forgotten where their stumps are, and how to defend em?

Bob Upndown

War Hero
The next test in Ahdemabad is at a 110,000 seater stadium. They are letting 55,000 spectators in.

It‘ll be fine.

No, honestly it will.

Have you been to India? Covid is the weedy kid who gets smacked around the playground compared to the fuck off, 6ft5, 120kg tight head prop stuff they live with on a daily basis :p