Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

If the ball turned for us it will definatley turn for the kings of spin.
Lets wait till close of play tonight before we start celebrating.
Their left arm spinner looks useful - but that shot of Crawley’s was as bad as anything we saw in the SL innings. The England batsmen seem to be doing their best to even things up at the moment!

First time I’ve seen Dan Lawrence - he looks the real deal. Root heading for a deserved century. Come on England!

Scorcher68

Old-Salt
First time I’ve seen Dan Lawrence - he looks the real deal. Root heading for a deserved century. Come on England!
Saw him get runs against us at The Oval a couple of seasons ago looked solid and well organized a product of Chingford CC as my Essex supporter mate was proud to inform me.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Whilst I dont think there is space for all three yet, Crawley, Pope and Lawrence look like England players for the next 5 - 10 years.

We're scoring at a good rate. SL haven't built any pressure at all.

pc flaps

War Hero
Whilst I dont think there is space for all three yet, Crawley, Pope and Lawrence look like England players for the next 5 - 10 years.

We're scoring at a good rate. SL haven't built any pressure at all.
Maybe Crawley will end up opening, as I think one of Sibley & Burns won't make it in the long term. I know "it's not how, it's how many" but Sibley's batting technique has holes you could drive a bus through.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Maybe Crawley will end up opening, as I think one of Sibley & Burns won't make it in the long term. I know "it's not how, it's how many" but Sibley's batting technique has holes you could drive a bus through.

It's an interesting point, but how much is it his technique and how much is it his game plan?

I think his strategy of trying to leave as much as possible is often his downfall.

Especially the short ball down the leg side and, as we've seen again today, vs spin.

I think he's worth persevering with against non-sub continental sides but he's going to the do latter-day 'Cook' thing and be a bit feast and famine. When he gets in he'll go big.

The other issue is that he's head and shoulder above any other current opener in English cricket. I don't know who we'd replace him with (except Burns / Crawley so we have a left / right combo)?

India have just beaten Australia at the Gabba, first time Aus have lost there since the 80s. India's young players have shown real character to draw the Sydney test and now win this one winning the series 2-1. They have faced really difficult issues both on and off the pitch. I don't usually support India or trumpet their wins but this team have really done well and I think a very good team for the foreseeable future.

India have just beaten Australia at the Gabba, first time Aus have lost there since the 80s. India's young players have shown real character to draw the Sydney test and now win this one winning the series 2-1. They have faced really difficult issues both on and off the pitch. I don't usually support India or trumpet their wins but this team have really done well and I think a very good team for the foreseeable future.
As a pom in Aus, I tend to support any team that is playing Australia. I’ve pretty much embraced being an Australian citizen, but I cannot embrace Australian cricket. Not the modern, pampered millionaires that roll out for Australia.

So a great win for India. And Australia’s prima donna stars got what they deserved. Roll on the Ashes; but England are going to have their hands full with India.

As a pom in Aus, I tend to support any team that is playing Australia. I’ve pretty much embraced being an Australian citizen, but I cannot embrace Australian cricket. Not the modern, pampered millionaires that roll out for Australia.

So a great win for India. And Australia’s prima donna stars got what they deserved. Roll on the Ashes; but England are going to have their hands full with India.
Pretty much agree with you, but more so with the rugby, however I think the Indian cricketers have been treated very shabbily especially in Queensland.