Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Morning All,
Probably old(and known news), to cricket fans on here but from the last couple of days in the local 'comics'.
Screenshot_20201025-190253_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201025-190109_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201025-190159_Photos.jpg

Fire4effect

Old-Salt
So anyone been following the IPL recently? I fear we could see the IPL dominate cricket in the same way that NBA dominates basketball....

Like others here I’m a TM loyalist and I do fear fir the future but...the entertainment on offer from this years IPL has been quite astounding. Stokes’ century and innings management yesterday was simply quite brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear god no.

I‘m just sat here watching the news and it now transpires that our beloved game of cricket is now institutionally racist.
Did you know there has been no BAME first class umpires in this country for eleven years?
Well perhaps nobody wants to be an umpire, perhaps they can’t pass the tests/exams, I don’t know the reason but I’m pretty sure it’s not because you is not white that you can’t become a first class umpire.
Stop blaming the sport and look at yourselves, there’s enough BAME players at County level and at International level representing England, oh and leave politics out of sport.

Last edited:

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Oh dear god no.

I‘m just sat here watching the news and it now transpires that our beloved game of cricket is now institutionally racist.
Did you know there has been no BAME first class umpires in this country for eleven years?
Well perhaps nobody wants to be an umpire, perhaps they can’t pass the tests/exams, I don’t know the reason but I’m pretty sure it’s not because you is not white that you can’t become a first class umpire.
Stop blaming the sport and look at yourselves, there’s enough BAME players at County level and at International level representing England and leave politics out of sport.
Well said.

Oh dear god no.

Stop blaming the sport and look at yourselves, there’s enough BAME players at County level and at International level representing England and leave politics out of sport.
Just my ignorant observation but perhaps it is down to cricket no longer being played in state schools. And would well off BAME parents want their privately educated offspring going into a low paying sport like cricket instead of the professions?

Oh dear god no.

When I did my Level 1, there were 8 of us on the course.

3 white males, 1 white woman, and 4 Asian males (Indian / Pakistani).

It was maybe just my course, but 3 out of the 4 Asians failed the exam, and therefore the course. I don't know if it was due to a lack of playing experience, or lack of comprehension in the rules book - I would say English was not the first language of any of them.

It might also be due to the fact that it was an umpiring course and all they were interested in was being at the playing end, rather than the standing end.

I'm sure this has no relevance - but they are getting the opportunity at grass roots level at the very least - There were none on my Level 2 course.

Oh dear god no.

All the black umpires I've played under have been cheating cnuts...
In fairness it was probably making up for the other cnut that forgot his guide dog. ;)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just my ignorant observation but perhaps it is down to cricket no longer being played in state schools. And would well off BAME parents want their privately educated offspring going into a low paying sport like cricket instead of the professions?
Good point but Asians West Indians love their cricket, just look at the atmosphere at OT during the cricket World Cup when India played Pakistan, that was a great days cricket. The history of The West Indies team, I would have thought if you were not good enough to play at the top level thrn the next best thing would be umpiring.
I just don’t get it that the sport is being accused of this, it’s wrong.

I think it's a bit like the lack of People of colour (is that the correct term this week?) in top football management. If that demographic doesn't apply for the necessary coaching/umpiring quals, then there won't be many doing the job. Of all the major sports in the UK, I would say cricket is the least racists.

Oh dear god no.

Stop blaming the sport and look at yourselves, there’s enough BAME players at County level and at International level representing England, oh and leave politics out of sport.
If Azeem Rafiq is telling the truth about his tone at Yorkshire then it’s probably true.......

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I admit to not knowing anything about that.
Here’s a summary.

I’m trying to find another story with similar insights. IIRC Surrey have employed a former bowler to reach in to the black community. I read an interview in which he talks about turning up to The Oval for junior training sessions by tube carrying second had kit and being racially bullied by Surrey’s public school elite.

Michael Holding gets very passionate about passive racism in cricket.

Last edited:

pc flaps

Old-Salt
I think it's also down to a disconnect in some places between the club game and the professional game. In my county there are several big Asian population centres, and lots of lads and lasses who love the game and play for clubs and in leagues.

However the county has had very few British Asian players, and are perceived to be doing poorly on this compared to say, Essex, who have a similar demographic situation but have brought through several Asian lads who've gone onto play for England at senior or U-19 level (Bopara, Chopra). And in Essex the connection between the county and the club game is good. QED?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Here’s a summary.

I’m trying to find another story with similar insights. IIRC Surrey have employed a former bowler to reach in to the black community. I read an interview in which he talks about turning up to The Oval for junior training sessions by tube carrying second had kit and being racially bullied by Surrey’s public school elite.

Michael Holding gets very passionate about passive racism in cricket.
I think you put the wrong link up but I did enjoy reading about the young lad who has built all those replica football stadiums out of Lego, I put that in the beautiful game thread, it’s well worth a look at.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Boycott was of his time. Cricket has moved on at some pace since he played....he hasn't and it shows in his commentary.
I think Fred Truman should bowl him a googly or maybe a fast one in the goolies.

I think you put the wrong link up but I did enjoy reading about the young lad who has built all those replica football stadiums out of Lego, I put that in the beautiful game thread, it’s well worth a look at.
Bizarre. I used the share link on the relevant article on ESPN CricInfo. Just tried it again; the link URL looks right, but its pointing to the soccer article. Here it is from the ESPN website.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Bizarre. I used the share link on the relevant article on ESPN CricInfo. Just tried it again; the link URL looks right, but its pointing to the soccer article. Here it is from the ESPN website.

Got it this time, it does sound bad but unless anybody who is, dare I say white and established comes forward and states he witnessed such behaviour it’s going to be difficult to prove.
With all the laws of the land in place to stop this I’m shocked that it still goes on.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
It's a complex matter. The only incident of racism i've ever experienced in 35 years of watching and playing, was a white lad getting punched by an Asian thug at an Eng vs Pak ODI at Trent Bridge for basically having the misfortune of sitting in the middle of the Pak supporters. It resulted in a more mature - apparently well-respected - member of his own community dragging the perpetrator by his hair to the attendant police.

Reading some of the experiences of Michael Carberry both at home and whilst playing grade cricket in Australia, he's clearly had a rough time of it. However, he's also said (in fairness, whilst in what appears to have been in quite an emotional state) that he had the captaincy of Leicestershire withdrawn from him for reasons of skin colour. I happen to know a few people connected with the club who have told me that he was shockingly bad as a skipper, making serious and basic errors unbecoming of someone of his experience. Bowling rotations, losing count of overs etc. Even junior members of the 1st team were scratching their heads.

One also said that it was a terrible event because he was such a universally liked guy. He was also recruited in the obvious knowledge that he was black, given the captaincy whilst obviously black, and a very popular member of the squad.

I don't know the guy personally but i've always admired him as a player, not least the way he stood up to Mitchell Johnson in '13 and came back from serious illness. But it's a shame if all his past experiences have clouded his perception that any bump in the road career-wise is perceived as being racially-motivated.

I have a suspicion that the chap at Yorks is laying it on equally as thickly, especially about feeling excluded because he didn't want to drink. Sorry, but that's nobodies fault so stop blaming the game for it.

ETA - I also know someone who used to lodge at the same place Boycs used to stay at when visiting Grace Road. Every morning he used to flick a coin at her and say "oi, girl - go fetch me a paper". What a berk.

Latest Threads