Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

I'm hiding......
In a wheelbarrow ( I kid you not)
The dogs' been kicked round the yard three laps already!

( No animals are actually harmed in this post)

R.I.P. Dean Jones, off to the big pavilion.

“It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Mr. Dean Mervyn Jones AM,” Star India, who Jones was a commentator for, said via a statement. “He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time. We are in touch with the Australian High Commission to make the necessary arrangements."

'Jones was only 59 when he passed away in Mumbai with the news of his death sending shockwaves across the globe. The Australian cricket legend was in India working in the commentary booth for the IPL when it is believed he suffered a sudden heart attack, according to ESPNCricInfo. Jones collapsed in a Mumbai hotel where fellow former cricketer Brett Lee was on the scene and performed CPR. He is understood to have collapsed around 7pm (AEST), according to The Australian.

'Jones played in 52 Tests for Australia, averaging 46.55 runs throughout a stellar career that resulted in 3631 runs and 11 centuries. It was on the one-day scene where Jones’ brilliance stood tall, scoring 6063 runs in 164 matches.'

R.I.P. Dean Jones, off to the big pavilion.

“It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Mr. Dean Mervyn Jones AM,” Star India, who Jones was a commentator for, said via a statement. “He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time. We are in touch with the Australian High Commission to make the necessary arrangements."

'Jones was only 59 when he passed away in Mumbai with the news of his death sending shockwaves across the globe. The Australian cricket legend was in India working in the commentary booth for the IPL when it is believed he suffered a sudden heart attack, according to ESPNCricInfo. Jones collapsed in a Mumbai hotel where fellow former cricketer Brett Lee was on the scene and performed CPR. He is understood to have collapsed around 7pm (AEST), according to The Australian.

'Jones played in 52 Tests for Australia, averaging 46.55 runs throughout a stellar career that resulted in 3631 runs and 11 centuries. It was on the one-day scene where Jones’ brilliance stood tall, scoring 6063 runs in 164 matches.'

In a former life, I hosted our Clubs' Melbournian Pro for a couple of summers,
He was , shall we say, 'a tad hedonistic'....

He looked up to his batting teammate back home,his hero in more ways than one!

Rip.
Deano

Morning All,
From today's local 'comic'.
Trouble at mill?
Screenshot_20201015-140854_Photos.jpg

RIP that man.
Screenshot_20201015-143655_Photos.jpg

So anyone been following the IPL recently? I fear we could see the IPL dominate cricket in the same way that NBA dominates basketball....
I don't watch it.

I'm a bit of a cricket snob, and much prefer test matches, or 50 over matches.

The T20 hack and slash is not my idea of cricket tbh - although I understand it does have a certain appeal - certainly to younger fans.

I don't watch it.

The T20 hack and slash is not my idea of cricket tbh - although I understand it does have a certain appeal - certainly to younger fans.

Get with it granddad! ;)

I haven't watched any since it left ITV to be honest. I get some highlights online but much prefer the longer formats too.

I don't watch it.

Yeah definitely prefer ODIs and tests which is why I'm worried that test cricket in particular could suffer from the popularity of IPL and other franchaise cricket. Take Jofra Archer for example, currently he's clearly a much better white ball bowler than red ball player but I still believe has the potential to be a top test bowler. He currently get 800k for 6 weeks of T20 cricket from just one franchaise compared to 1 million or so for test matches played throughout the year. If IPL salaries continue to rise in relative terms they'll be a point where he's financially (as well as phyiscally) better off playing just white ball cricket. This already the case for alot of countries where test cricket isn't as popular compared to here.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
Winter South Africa tour on it seems?
Just can not see it happening but all to do with TV revenue.
But playing a Newlands with no crowd in will be strange as was this years Tests in the UK.

Yeah definitely prefer ODIs and tests which is why I'm worried that test cricket in particular could suffer from the popularity of IPL and other franchaise cricket. Take Jofra Archer for example, currently he's clearly a much better white ball bowler than red ball player but I still believe has the potential to be a top test bowler. He currently get 800k for 6 weeks of T20 cricket from just one franchaise compared to 1 million or so for test matches played throughout the year. If IPL salaries continue to rise in relative terms they'll be a point where he's financially (as well as phyiscally) better off playing just white ball cricket. This already the case for alot of countries where test cricket isn't as popular compared to here.
Of course, you are right - but lets just hope that some people will still see playing test match cricket as the pinnacle of the sport, and don't sacrifice that for financial gain.

Perhaps if the ECB and other federations upped the salaries for centrally contracted players, it might make people think twice - I doubt it though...unfortunately.

Of course, you are right - but lets just hope that some people will still see playing test match cricket as the pinnacle of the sport, and don't sacrifice that for financial gain.

Perhaps if the ECB and other federations upped the salaries for centrally contracted players, it might make people think twice - I doubt it though...unfortunately.
The problem is, it takes two to tango. If test cricket loses popularity/beccomes far less lucrative dramatically in other countries insofar as many of the Ben Stokes, Virat Kohlis, Steve Smiths (i.e. those are talented in all formats) choose to focus on white ball cricket then test cricket globally will decline. Then you also have the physical side too. Not playing test cricket--> longer careers,less injuries.

Problem is it hits the punter, gate prices are ridiculous, assuming you can get an international ticket.
Losingthe national team from terrestrial TV was the nail in my coffin, I only subscribed for 1 season on sky as I had a pretty decent deal.

The problem is, it takes two to tango. If test cricket loses popularity/beccomes far less lucrative dramatically in other countries insofar as many of the Ben Stokes, Virat Kohlis, Steve Smiths (i.e. those are talented in all formats) choose to focus on white ball cricket then test cricket globally will decline. Then you also have the physical side too. Not playing test cricket--> longer careers,less injuries.
We’re pretty much at the point where the top players from the big three (England, Aus & India) have to choose. Both England and Australia have concurrent one day and test commitments next year.

Test matches only make money of one of the big three is playing, so the demand for each to play more tests is large. There isn’t space for more unless there is a split. It’s almost like the rugby union / league split in the 19th Century; the forms will IMHO diverge and produce their own stars. There may be some code jumping, but players will only play one format.

On the plus side for fans of long form cricket , I think the Bob Willis Trophy showed the way ahead. Less is more. Alistair Cook reckoned the cricket was great and that the grounds would have been full had they been open.

We’re pretty much at the point where the top players from the big three (England, Aus & India) have to choose. Both England and Australia have concurrent one day and test commitments next year.

Test matches only make money of one of the big three is playing, so the demand for each to play more tests is large. There isn’t space for more unless there is a split. It’s almost like the rugby union / league split in the 19th Century; the forms will IMHO diverge and produce their own stars. There may be some code jumping, but players will only play one format.

On the plus side for fans of long form cricket , I think the Bob Willis Trophy showed the way ahead. Less is more. Alistair Cook reckoned the cricket was great and that the grounds would have been full had they been open.

Would only have been full because people were off work! XD

They’d have got a good crowd at weekends which is more than the County Championship has managed for decades.
I went to watch a Yorkshire match last year with my brother. Admittedly it was a fairly overcast day, and showers had been forecast, but I bet there wasn't 200 people in the ground - which is a crying shame as there were no interruptions at all.

On the plus side we bumped into a certain Mr Harold Bird OBE whilst getting a brew, who stopped and said hello, asked how we were - a proper gentleman.

Latest Threads