The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Faded

Old-Salt
I know his record away from home isn't great but I think this shows why Woakes needs to be in the team. He just adds so much value.

But overall a great game.

Oops

War Hero
Is that the 'Buttler' who wasn't worth his place four hours ago?

I didn't want to stir the job up, but Buttler's had more than enough batting with either a crumbling tail, or even a rush job opening bish bash bosh......

Root, Pope,Stokes, Buttler and Woakes looks good enough for 200+ runs most first innings, with a contribution from the openers and tail Anderson's the only 'Bunny'.
Anyone who's got the cajones to play a major part in the final overs of a World Cup Final Sudden Death has got what it takes mentally.
A rest from the intensity of keeping might not hurt occasionally.

Butler and Woaks were outstanding, but listening to Butler after the match he was honest enough to say his keeping is not up to test match standard. Is he good enough to keep his test place purely as a batsman?
His limited over game is brilliant and today was almost a one day scenario.
If he had kept wicket properly, England would have been chasing 170, not 270 so his heroics with the bat would not have been needed.

Yes, refreshingly honest interview from Buttler - in essence 'My wicket-keeping was rubbish and I have to do better or I should be dropped'. He's going to have to put some hard work with the gloves in during the next week, though. I suspect Root will want him in the side, though.

I suppose the question is that if Jimmy is reseted for the next one, taking us back to a Broad + Archer + Woakes + Stokes + Bess attack, do they bring back Crawley, or put Buttler in at number 6 and bring Foakes in to take the gloves?

Yes, refreshingly honest interview from Buttler - in essence 'My wicket-keeping was rubbish and I have to do better or I should be dropped'. He's going to have to put some hard work with the gloves in during the next week, though. I suspect Root will want him in the side, though.

I suppose the question is that if Jimmy is reseted for the next one, taking us back to a Broad + Archer + Woakes + Stokes + Bess attack, do they bring back Crawley, or put Buttler in at number 6 and bring Foakes in to take the gloves?
I honestly don’t think they’ll manufacture a test keeper out of Butler. He’s just to rigid. He didn’t pick up the gloves until his late teens; he first played club cricket as an opening bowler and late teens was bowling spin.

He’s fine keeping in the one-dayers, where keepers mostly just catch the long ball coming in from the fielders and few balls actually come through to the keeper. But standing up to spinners?

Hard decision. England obviously prefer him as a team player to Bairstow but Bairstow is arguably the better batsman. Neither are great keepers; Foakes is in a different league. Hard decision. For me, if Foakes couldn’t bat, I’d go with Butler. But Foakes can bat.

No Stokes for the rest of the series - he's off to NZ for family reasons (the reason's not been stated, but seems likely to be related to his Dad's poor health, I fear).

So Woakes clearly retains his spot (which he was probably going to), you'd presume that dropping Broad would be complete idiocy (so not impossible), leaving the choice for the three remaining bowling slots to Archer, Wood (who has a niggle, apparently), Robinson and Anderson. I imagine that Jimmy is probably most likely to be asked to have a rest...

The question's then whether to bring Crawley back and keep Buttler, or to keep Buttler as a batsman and bring in Foakes. Buttler would have to bat at 5 and Foakes at 6.

I imagine that given Buttler's reputation in the team, he's likely to be there as the Vice-Captain (although Broad could handle the job, Root could go off the field for five minutes and discover that the acting captain had burned through all the reviews in the space of four balls...), and would guess that Crawley will be back?

No Stokes for the rest of the series - he's off to NZ for family reasons (the reason's not been stated, but seems likely to be related to his Dad's poor health, I fear).

So Woakes clearly retains his spot (which he was probably going to), you'd presume that dropping Broad would be complete idiocy (so not impossible), leaving the choice for the three remaining bowling slots to Archer, Wood (who has a niggle, apparently), Robinson and Anderson. I imagine that Jimmy is probably most likely to be asked to have a rest...

The question's then whether to bring Crawley back and keep Buttler, or to keep Buttler as a batsman and bring in Foakes. Buttler would have to bat at 5 and Foakes at 6.

I imagine that given Buttler's reputation in the team, he's likely to be there as the Vice-Captain (although Broad could handle the job, Root could go off the field for five minutes and discover that the acting captain had burned through all the reviews in the space of four balls...), and would guess that Crawley will be back?
Agreed, especially if broad is bowling.

Keeping Butler and bringing in Foakes would mean moving Pope up to four. Not sure he’s ready.

Since Stokes was batting at four since they dropped Crawley, England really have to add a batsman. IMHO it has to be Crawley.

I think Butler did enough (again) to save himself at least for the rest of this series. And that means no Foakes assuming they play Crawley.

It might be worth moving Woakes up to six ahead of Butler at 7. Woakes is technically a far better batsman; he has ten first class 100s and can actually defend.

Woakes is the man on form (with Broad). Both have added runs and wickets. Crawley has to come back in IMHO.
Butler is on the last chance saloon but he seems to be the selectors favourite. Root needs to find some consistant form. Anderson has to be rested and Archer needs to put in a shift. Give the two openers a couple of more tests especially as Pakistan offer a real test.
All in all England are not in a bad place.

A decent post by the Paks, and I’m sure that’ll be confirmed by about 4 o’clock, when we’re all out for 150.

Oops

War Hero
A decent post by the Paks, and I’m sure that’ll be confirmed by about 4 o’clock, when we’re all out for 150.
Nah, bad light and rain will save em at seven down ....

Just before lunch!

If only they could've held the Test Match somewhere sunny like , er.....

Old Trafford.

Horrendous batting conditions. Every ball so far has been more likely to produce a wicket than a run.

Burns is a walking wicket,

Really enjoyed watching Zak Crawley and Jos Buttler in their record breaking partnership today. Really pleased for Buttler and Crawley looks a class act. Great stuff.

So we’ve enforced the follow on. Some might say it’s a touch ungentlemanly. Can anyone suggest a test captain who wouldn’t have, given the circumstances?

Also, the light has denied Azhir Ali the opportunity to defend against three new balls in a day. Would have been interesting.

Brilliant TV watching Jimmy Anderson about to explode with rage at the England fielders. Not one drop, not two, but three dropped catches, including two in an over. Still, he eventually got his 5 for and is only two wickets away from the magic 600. What a bowler and he’ll be missed when he eventually hangs up his boots.
Credit to Azhir Ali, the Pakistan skipper who was unbeaten at the end with a brilliant 141. Great Cricket.

After a gap of 21 years, Cricket returned (temporarily) to BBC1 yesterday, when the 2nd T20 between England and Pakistan was televised live. The current commentary team of Michael Vaughan, Phil Tufnell and Isa Gua compares poorly with the one back in 1999, which included Tony Lewis, Richie Benaud, David Gower, Geoffrey Boycott and Chris Broad.
I tuned in out of interest, but lasted about 10 minutes before heading back to Sky with Nasser Hussain, David Lloyd and Mike Atherton.
Vaughan is an opinionated gobshite IMHO and Phil Tufnell tries too hard to be a ‘geezer’. Perhaps they should try and let the Cricket do the talking instead of filling every available minute with banter?
Great win for England by the way!

Morgan is in some form isn’t he?

Looking forward to watching England dismantle Australia. I may be a plastic Aussie now, but you can’t take the Pom away!

Latest Threads