The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Good comeback by the bowlers in Pakistan’s second innings, though.

We’ve probably left ourselves too much to do but at least we haven’t capitulated completely

England really struggling against what looks like an excellent Pakistan test side - men against boys so far. As usual, England don’t look ‘pumped’ for the 1st Test in the series, whereas Pakistan are really up for it. Not looking good at the moment. Over 100 runs behind after the 1st innings.
It would have been much closer if England had fielded better. Had they held their catches and had they picked a proper wicket keeper, they would have dismissed Pakistan for under 250 in their first innings.

England are also a batsman light. Can’t see why they need four quicks, plus Stokes; it makes for a very long tail and a very short top order.

Butler needs to go. He’s offering little with the bat and can’t keep against spinners. Archer is turning into another fast-medium seamer. And Anderson’s days are drawing to a close.

I thought Archer was supposed to be a 90mph+ bowler?
He either isn't putting in the effort or last summer was just a flash in the pan.
Agree on the comments about Butler.

It would have been much closer if England had fielded better. Had they held their catches and had they picked a proper wicket keeper, they would have dismissed Pakistan for under 250 in their first innings.

England are also a batsman light. Can’t see why they need four quicks, plus Stokes; it makes for a very long tail and a very short top order.

Butler needs to go. He’s offering little with the bat and can’t keep against spinners. Archer is turning into another fast-medium seamer. And Anderson’s days are drawing to a close.
England fought back well with the ball and have given themselves a chance of winning the game, which seemed unlikely at start of play yesterday.
I agree about Buttler - Foulkes must be given a chance in the next Test. Sad to say it, but I also agree about Jimmy - it looks like an amazing Test career is drawing to a close. I suspect he is aiming for his 600th wicket, so that he can go out on his terms, but he is not the main threat this summer and in English conditions, that says it all. The selectors have a decision to make soon, 600 wickets or not.

I thought Archer was supposed to be a 90mph+ bowler?
He either isn't putting in the effort or last summer was just a flash in the pan.
Agree on the comments about Butler.
Archer has a magnificent action, you can’t tell if it’s going to be 80+, 90+ or he slow ball at the point of release which those that have faced say is a game changer.

He was asked about his speed on Thursday and said its down to a few things, one of which is that he is not a robot.

Micheal Holding seems to rate him highly which is good enough for me.

Butler is a important senior player in the dressing room, Root and Stokes value him, his glove work in this test is below par, which is the first time in two years he has had a bad test, batting average is over 30, which considering he usually comes in at 7 and bats with the tail is better than most.

Batting wise I would look to drop burns and open with Crawley and Sibley, bring Gary Ballance back at 3, Root at 4 then pope, Stokes, Butler, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Archer.

Archer has a magnificent action, you can’t tell if it’s going to be 80+, 90+ or he slow ball at the point of release which those that have faced say is a game changer.

He was asked about his speed on Thursday and said its down to a few things, one of which is that he is not a robot.

Butler is a important senior player in the dressing room, Root and Stokes value him, his glove work in this test is below par, which is the first time in two years he has had a bad test, batting average is over 30, which considering he usually comes in at 7 and bats with the tail is better than most.

Batting wise I would look to drop burns and open with Crawley and Sibley, bring Gary Ballance back at 3, Root at 4 then pope, Stokes, Butler, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Archer.
Ballance is yesterday’s man and has had a couple of chances to nail down a slot. I’d rather see them give Dan Lawrence a chance - agree about dispensing with one of the current openers, but it’s close call between them.

Oops

War Hero

Wot 'e said....

'Cept for Ballance, ( I don't have an credible alternative, how do you assess anyone's credentials this year, apart from past form?)

Bairstow if you want another Yorkie?

Eta.
33 in 16 balls!!
Bang goes the initiative for the day.

I thought Archer said it wasn’t a wicket to bend your back on? Fact is though, he’s been an expensive luxury since the Ashes. I’d persist, his action is superb. But if he doesn’t bend his back, he’s just another fast / medium seamer. Whilst we’re on bowling, I’m a Rashid fan. But he’s not going to hold an end up; I think Bess is worth investing in.

Butler is OK keeping when he’s back to the quicks. He just doesn’t have the soft hands and lithe movements of a natural keeper. It’s not the first time in two years he’s had a bad test; he had a shocker keeping to Bess and Root at Port Elizabeth. Has he ever made a test stumping? My own view; play the best keeper. If he makes runs, all the better. Foakes has the same number of test centuries as Butler and is a league apart as a keeper.

The openers are a mess; Burns’ technique is dire; he goes forward before the ball is bowled. Sibley has no offside game. I’d persevere with Sibley; he’s young enough to respond to quality coaching still. Pope is a jewel; probably good enough to bat at 3. So it’s worth keeping Burns to allow Pope to develop at 5/6.

Only a Yorkshireman could advance Balance’s case.

"If he's coming back from a stress fracture of his elbow, he may be saying in the back of his mind 'let me just reserve myself a little bit and make sure I get back the confidence mentally before I go at full steam'.

"Perhaps that's what he's doing and he doesn't want to say that, but I'd prefer that angle. I had injuries and when I came back from a knee operation it took me a long time to get the confidence, to stamp down that left foot again.

"I hope that's the situation with him. If a man can bowl 95mph, I'd like to see him bowl 95mph - I like to see batsmen getting sleepless nights!"

Mikey would like to see him bowling at 90+ mph. So would I.
I also agree about Jimmy - it looks like an amazing Test career is drawing to a close. I suspect he is aiming for his 600th wicket, so that he can go out on his terms, but he is not the main threat this summer and in English conditions, that says it all. The selectors have a decision to make soon, 600 wickets or not.
Spot on. He has been a magnificent servant of English cricket. I'd still like to see him in one last Ashes series, but as you say he has to be picked on merit.

Faded

Old-Salt
Sorry but I completely disagree about dropping Burns (and Sibley for that matter) for the first time in a long time we have two openers, who whilst not perfect, have looked far better than what we’ve had in the past 8 years since Strauss.

Sorry but I completely disagree about dropping Burns (and Sibley for that matter) for the first time in a long time we have two openers, who whilst not perfect, have looked far better than what we’ve had in the past 8 years since Strauss.
Burns is a walking wicket.

Oops

War Hero
I'm unaware of @Himmler74's ethnicity,
I did wonder once he mentioned Ballance!

Anderson appears to be a tad 'off with the radar' did you see him actually bowl a ball wide down the legs side.
However there was once a fella called Statham who the Great Fred attributed many of his record tally of 300 test wickets to...
Once a batsman decides there aren't runs to be had against the greatest fast bowler in Test Cricket, they take more chances at
t'other end, as Broad, et al. will I'm sure attest.

Should of known he'd get out as soon as I posted. Fcuk sake.
Lots of chat going on out in the middle. It’s a bit spicy out there! (Am I allowed to say that nowadays?).

Today would be a good day for Root to have a captains innings.

There, now I've put the hex on him!

Oops

War Hero
Lots of chat going on out in the middle. It’s a bit spicy out there! (Am I allowed to say that nowadays?).
It's fair to say you know who's now 'in town'...
Dire outfielding and catching.
Mercurial cricket over 22 yds.
Notable increase in voiciferous apealling too, notably from the Keeper and close fielders, one instance yesterday it wouldn't have taken the edge of another bat adjacent..... you've thought they'd just won the World Cup again.
With the lack of crowd noise to mask it , I wonder if the Broadcasters are toning owt down?

Before I'm accused of anything remotely wacist I wasnt exactly a shrinking violet at silly point, but NEVER crossed the Spirit of the Game line, ( unless against an obvious chea- non walker)
I occasionally played for a team of Asian Doctors/ Lawyers etc....their heads turned to bloody mush once they crossed the boundary rope...
However the most Vocal, Obtuse, Aggressive, Loopy ( and I played in Ashworth loony bin, genuine Fight Club stuff) Hardline, and thoroughly 'Committed' all rounder ( and blooody brilliant player) was six foot five C of E Vicar.

He was from Yorkshire though and never ever failed to remind us!

Faded

Old-Salt
It's fair to say you know who's now 'in town'...
Dire outfielding and catching.
Mercurial cricket over 22 yds.
Notable increase in voiciferous apealling too, notably from the Keeper and close fielders, one instance yesterday it wouldn't have taken the edge of another bat adjacent..... you've thought they'd just won the World Cup again.
With the lack of crowd noise to mask it , I wonder if the Broadcasters are toning owt down?
As seen by the latest 'not out'...

Wee Hawken

Swinger
I thought Archer said it wasn’t a wicket to bend your back on? Fact is though, he’s been an expensive luxury since the Ashes. I’d persist, his action is superb. But if he doesn’t bend his back, he’s just another fast / medium seamer.
4 for 86 @ 21.5 in this Test, as compared to Anderson's 1 for 97. Go figure.

Squeeky bum time, but what a game! Get in! Well played Woakes and Buttler.