The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Saffer cricket implodes.

England take them on next!

Sad to say it, but I can honestly see the South African Cricket team going the way of Zimbabwe. A once good, competitive side, now struggling in the 2nd tier.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sad to say it, but I can honestly see the South African Cricket team going the way of Zimbabwe. A once good, competitive side, now struggling in the 2nd tier.
That'll be a sad day. As much as we cricket fans delight in the successes of our home teams, we also feel heartbreak at the decline or failures of our international opponents.

What I wouldn't give to see the Windies back at the top tier of Test Cricket, terrifying the shit out of everybody with ferocious bowling and wielding the bat like Roland reborn.

Such a shame to hear of the passing of Bob Willis, following a short illness.
A tremendous fast bowler in his prime and latterly, a knowledgeable Grumpy Old Man pundit on Sky TV.
RIP Bob and thanks for the memories.

"Bustling" Bob was a tremendous fast bowler. Whilst many remember "Botham's" Ashes, they fail to recognise the Headingly test was won on the final day by a demon spell of fast bowling.
I enjoyed his grumpy musings on Sky's the verdict.
Thanks Bob.

Such a shame to hear of the passing of Bob Willis, following a short illness.
A tremendous fast bowler in his prime and latterly, a knowledgeable Grumpy Old Man pundit on Sky TV.
RIP Bob and thanks for the memories.
Don’t think it was a short illness. The family are asking for donations to Prostate Cancer UK.

A boyhood hero of mine. First saw him bowl at Edgbaston in the John Player League against Worcestershire. It was his return game from knee surgery, before his England career took off. I’ve still got the team sheet somewhere; Amiss, Kanhai, Kallicharan, Murray and Willis playing for Warwickshire.

Sad day.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Met him once, as his sister worked for my folks, my dad was quite in awe of him. Good bloke but could GE a miserable bugger.

He played football too, as keeper for Corinthian Casuals, who were managed by Mickey Stewart. They were overjoyed when he got called up for England as he was a ******* useless player :biggrin::biggrin:

Reading all the obituaries and tributes to Bob Willis, it does strike me that there’s a striking resemblance to the 1981 Headingley test match and the balcony at a certain embassy in London the year before. Either that or Headingley is the size of the MCG.

Reading all the obituaries and tributes to Bob Willis, it does strike me that there’s a striking resemblance to the 1981 Headingley test match and the balcony at a certain embassy in London the year before. Either that or Headingley is the size of the MCG.
I played in that game. Wasn't a bad knock, ended up on 149 not out.

MB

I played in that game. Wasn't a bad knock, ended up on 149 not out.

MB
Strange that. With your initials, I’m guessing you scored 10 in the first innings and 14 in the second!

Incidentally, there’s a bloke I’ve connected with in a Facebook for those who share a passion for the greatest rock and roll band in the world. He reckons he scored 149 there too.

Moeen Ali has refused to come out of Test retirement, raising questions about whether he will play test cricket for England again.

Personally, I thought it a bit strange that they went back for him. His form has gone off a cliff for a good while now, and there are no signs that he'll ever get back what he had at the top level. I'd rather see some youngsters blooded in the search for the next Swann, as opposed to going back to busted flushes like Ali and Rashid.

Bit of a shame considering that he was once rated in the stats as the top all-rounder in the world. I think it's over for him and once he's coined it in with limited overs club cricket, I think he'll chuck the towel in.

Time to step up the search for new talent...

Moeen Ali has refused to come out of Test retirement, raising questions about whether he will play test cricket for England again.

Personally, I thought it a bit strange that they went back for him. His form has gone off a cliff for a good while now, and there are no signs that he'll ever get back what he had at the top level. I'd rather see some youngsters blooded in the search for the next Swann, as opposed to going back to busted flushes like Ali and Rashid.

Bit of a shame considering that he was once rated in the stats as the top all-rounder in the world. I think it's over for him and once he's coined it in with limited overs club cricket, I think he'll chuck the towel in.

Time to step up the search for new talent...
I’ve always thought Moeen lacked the determination to make the most of his talents. Or, indeed, to insist that he is given a role that can stick to. He’s batted in every position from 1-8 for England FFS. He’s just too nice a bloke.

I remember reading an article about Mo which suggested that there is a bit too much inshallah about his approach. In other words, if he gets out with a stupid shot, he doesn’t take it to heart as it’s the will of god. No idea if that true.

What an absolute screamer of a catch at slip, particularly under lights.

Australia were bowled out for 416 at tea but the night has ignited with a crazy turn of events.

The home side took two early wickets before Steve Smith brilliance and Mitchell Starc ferocity that has left New Zealand in disarray at 5/109.

Steve Smith pulls off one of the most insane catches you'll ever see.

Steve Smith pulls off one of the most insane catches you'll ever see.Source:FOX SPORTS

A great view from of the WACA.

Pedant hat on, but Is that the WACA? Most of the stands at the WACA are uncovered and single tier. The two covered ones are straight.

Adelaide pre rebuild?
Not seen either in over 20 years. I may have misinterpreted the linkage.

'Optus Stadium in Perth is arguably the best – or at least shiniest – stadium in Australia but where's the crowd. The 60,000 palace cost around $1.6 billion to build and the stadium landed one of the best fixtures of the calendar. Granted it is 40 degrees but the noticeably empty seats on day two of the first Test against the world's second best Test team is a worrying sign – especially when the ground was floated as an alternative to the MCG for the Boxing Day Test.'

Not seen either in over 20 years. I may have misinterpreted the linkage.

'Optus Stadium in Perth is arguably the best – or at least shiniest – stadium in Australia but where's the crowd. The 60,000 palace cost around $1.6 billion to build and the stadium landed one of the best fixtures of the calendar. Granted it is 40 degrees but the noticeably empty seats on day two of the first Test against the world's second best Test team is a worrying sign – especially when the ground was floated as an alternative to the MCG for the Boxing Day Test.'

The new Perth Stadium which opened in 2018. The last test at the WACA was the Ashes game on 2017 tour. I’d imagine the new stadium is pretty unpleasant in temperatures of 40+ as it’s so enclosed: the Freemantle Doctor won’t have the same effect as it does over the river at the WACA.

Latest Threads