The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

I don't think there's any doubt that in his day Boycott was a talented cricketer, who probably deserved some recognition at the time for what he did when playing both for county and country.
At the time cricketers didn't get K's and they generally still don't, What prompted TM to hand a couple out I don't know but it reinforces my impression that the whole system is worthless.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Whilst I would not like to make light of your abuse, I don't think Boycott deserves a k for the reasons you state in your second paragraph. I have long been a listener to TMS since it was long wave on radio 4, but in the last few years Boycot's "contribution" has had me reaching for the dial.
The likes of Botham and now Strauss have done much more than just play cricket to receive their K's. What has Boycott done apart from give the impressionists someone to take the piss out of?
Spot on.

In both cases, the past is another country. However, I have recovered, he's still a selfish, opinionated, hectoring git.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Calm down guys, he was trying to be funny. Well, he was being funny, to be fair!
The humour whooshed over my head, although I see it now I re-read the post.

I think Stokes is a far better batsman than bowler.
I always thought this about Botham but he clearly didn't have the mental aptitude to do the job. The question will be which bit of the innings Stokes thinks was his best as a batsman, the "I'm not going to get out" early sessions, or the final slash and bash bit.

At the time cricketers didn't get K's and they generally still don't, What prompted TM to hand a couple out I don't know but it reinforces my impression that the whole system is worthless.
With you on that. I thought there was a limit on sporting Ks; it’s very unusual to see two from the same sport in a year, let alone two in a list.

As long as there’s one spare for Jimmy when he goes......

Getting ready for the final showdown.

'(A)s the fifth and final Test draws closer the Australian selectors aren’t done tinkering with the line-up.
Vice-captain Travis Head has been dropped from the 12-man squad with all-rounder Mitch Marsh earning a recall to the side. It makes it call up number six for Marsh.

'Paine is adamant Australia will be sharp as Joe Root’s side hunt a consolatory win in their final game under the mentorship of Australian coach Trevor Bayliss. “It’s not at all (a lesser match) and we don’t have to talk about it because we came here to win the Ashes. We didn’t come here to retain them,” Paine said.'

A good choice with Woakes, and Curran can't do any worse than Roy, as well as offering an additional bowling option.
Woakes should never have been dropped for Old Trafford; Overton was never going to be a threat.

Curran isn’t offering an additional bowling action; he’s replacing Stokes who is playing as a batsman only. Had Stokes been fit to bowl, they’d surely have given Roy another game at 4?

Still not really solved anything. Does anyone really think that Curran is the answer to bowling Australia out?

I read a piece from Nasser Hussein the other day which suggested that on of England’s core weaknesses is their inability to bowl good sides out in 120 or so overs on a good pitch. They’ve got bowlers who are good at bowling sides out in favourable conditions, but can’t get 10 wickets when conditions aren’t favourable.

Tim Paine wins the toss (again) and puts England in. General consensus from those in the know is it looks like a good batting wicket - shame our batting isn’t particularly good! :-D
Fingers crossed we dig in today, but I’ll be watching the first hour from behind the sofa.

Burns & Denley a century partnership with Root getting a double century, 400 for 4 at stumps*

* I might be wrong.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not too many cricketers in the New Year Honours or BBC Sportsman of the Year Awards?

Not too many cricketers in the New Year Honours or BBC Sportsman of the Year Awards?
Not too many Scottish footballers either! :smile:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads