The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Agree with all your points. We didn't look like a test match team at the start of the series, and so it proved. Our selection and prep have been shocking in comparison to Aus (who used the Dukes for a year!)

I do think, however, that there is some light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this series will be the catalyst for a bit of a more 'realistic' era of test match planning and selection.

We've got 3 or 4 decent fast bowlers (Archer, Wood, Stone and maybe J Overton) if we can keep just 2 of them fit, we are in business. I am encouraged to see a new form of central contract to address this. Shame none of them is a Lefty.

There are two pretty decent leggies knocking around - Parkinson and Rashid. Leach has shown promise in terms of mental toughness.

Broad and Anderson still have a few years between them.

If we can get three openers at the top of the order (Burns, Sibley and maybe Lyth), then we've enough in the middle order already to build upon and suddenly we start looking like a test match side again.

Burns
Sibley
Lyth
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Archer
Broad/Curran
Leach/Parkinson/Rashid
Anderson/Wood/Stone

I would not be against seeing Stokes in the no/3 role to make a bit of room lower down for Curran so we have a change of angle.
Not much I would change. Not sure about Lyth; I’m more inclined towards Pope.

I think Stokes is a far better batsman than bowler. He could do a Smith, who was selected as a leg spinning all rounder, and become a batting great. I’d take his bowling as a bonus and bat him as high as four. Pope could come in at 5.

My biggest issue is Root. He’s not a leader, he can’t think ahead and his batting is suffering. I think there are alternatives; Burns is a good county captain and is never going to be an opener of Cook’s weight. Maybe Burns is good enough to be a Brearley style captain. But I’d seriously think about giving the captaincy to Butler. He’s in the side as a luxury batting below the all rounders but not keeping. And without the Captaincy Root comes in at first drop.

Also, I don’t think Moeen’s days are done. I’d add him to my spinners list. Other than that, nothing wrong.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Boycott failed to overturn the verdict on appeal - but about five years ago, some serious questions about the evidence against him were raised; the Telegraph and the Independent, I think it was who covered this in some detail. I believe that some MPs also called for the case to be reopened because of the new evidence.

ISTR that one lawyer opined that acquittal of Boycott and a perjury/perverting the course of justice investigation would have resulted had Boycott been tried in England or Wales (and quite probably Scotland, but the lawyer didn’t want to comment on Scottish law, IIRC)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Not much I would change. Not sure about Lyth; I’m more inclined towards Pope.

I think Stokes is a far better batsman than bowler. He could do a Smith, who was selected as a leg spinning all rounder, and become a batting great. I’d take his bowling as a bonus and bat him as high as four. Pope could come in at 5.

My biggest issue is Root. He’s not a leader, he can’t think ahead and his batting is suffering. I think there are alternatives; Burns is a good county captain and is never going to be an opener of Cook’s weight. Maybe Burns is good enough to be a Brearley style captain. But I’d seriously think about giving the captaincy to Butler. He’s in the side as a luxury batting below the all rounders but not keeping. And without the Captaincy Root comes in at first drop.

Also, I don’t think Moeen’s days are done. I’d add him to my spinners list. Other than that, nothing wrong.
I think there's a fair chance Moeen is going to be a limited overs player from now on. I suspect they've had enough of him chucking his wicket away at crucial times and undoing other people's hard work. Leach has done enough to be first choice spinner for now, and showed himself made of the 'right stuff'.

Good shout on Pope. I am not wholly convinced by the little that i've seen - and think playing at The Oval does middle order dashers no harm at all - but he looks a very talented guy and deserves a good run @ 5 or 6.

My worry re:Buttler isn't his tactical elan (which Root lacks entirely), but the possibility that the captaincy would place an even heavier burden on his shoulders than it does with Root. He's a feast and famine sort of player at the best of times.

I think there's a fair chance Moeen is going to be a limited overs player from now on. I suspect they've had enough of him chucking his wicket away at crucial times and undoing other people's hard work. Leach has done enough to be first choice spinner for now, and showed himself made of the 'right stuff'.

Good shout on Pope. I am not wholly convinced by the little that i've seen - and think playing at The Oval does middle order dashers no harm at all - but he looks a very talented guy and deserves a good run @ 5 or 6.

My worry re:Buttler isn't his tactical elan (which Root lacks entirely), but the possibility that the captaincy would place an even heavier burden on his shoulders than it does with Root. He's a feast and famine sort of player at the best of times.
Moeen scored a cracking 100 the other day in the 20/20 quarter final.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Jesus H. Christ Jun, the Sisterhood is really tearing into Sir Geoff on their Radio 4 propaganda hour.
‘Convicted wife beater; sending the wrong message,’ etc ad nauseam.
(No, I’m not listening to it, I just happened to hear a bit on herself’s radio as I was switching over to ‘The Brothers Karamazov’ on 4 Extra.)
Odds on they were prompted to it by the interview he gave on ‘Today’ at about 0830. It was excellent. He was brooking no nonsense from the female interviewer. “Look love, etc” .
That, alone, would have roused the Sisters to their heights of indignation.
Yeah, it's the fcuking snoflake brigade jumping on their fcuking high horses get all high and fcuking mighty about some shit that happened 20 odd years ago, it's got fuckall to do with why he got the knighthood. I heard the interview on the Victoria Derbyshire programme (another bitch with her own fcuking agenda), if she doesn't get the answer she wants or was expecting she gets all shirty. Sir Geoffrey Boycott told them straight, its ancient history, get over it.

FFS We have got Ministers confessing to doing Cocaine, does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to work as an MP.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Agree with all your points. We didn't look like a test match team at the start of the series, and so it proved. Our selection and prep have been shocking in comparison to Aus (who used the Dukes for a year!)

I do think, however, that there is some light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this series will be the catalyst for a bit of a more 'realistic' era of test match planning and selection.

We've got 3 or 4 decent fast bowlers (Archer, Wood, Stone and maybe J Overton) if we can keep just 2 of them fit, we are in business. I am encouraged to see a new form of central contract to address this. Shame none of them is a Lefty.

There are two pretty decent leggies knocking around - Parkinson and Rashid. Leach has shown promise in terms of mental toughness.

Broad and Anderson still have a few years between them.

If we can get three openers at the top of the order (Burns, Sibley and maybe Lyth), then we've enough in the middle order already to build upon and suddenly we start looking like a test match side again.

Burns
Sibley
Lyth
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Archer
Broad/Curran
Leach/Parkinson/Rashid
Anderson/Wood/Stone

I would not be against seeing Stokes in the no/3 role to make a bit of room lower down for Curran so we have a change of angle.
Who the fcuks Foakes?

Arise Sir Geoffrey Boycott not deserved & Sir Andrew Strauss very deserved.
Boycott will expect ALL to call him Sir now, Mrs May must have forgotten his domestic abuse record!
They do have a point.

Try and listen to the interview mentioned by @Trackpen . . . .

. . . . the interview he gave on ‘Today’ at about 0830. It was excellent. He was brooking no nonsense from the female interviewer. “Look love, etc” . . . .

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it's a slap in the face for survivors of domestic abuse.
Speaking as one of those, I was a tad disappointed. It didn't feel like the slaps, kicks or punches I used to endure though.

He's a sad old self-opinionated has-been who never put team above self, so doesn't deserve the K.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
I think it's a slap in the face for survivors of domestic abuse.
I'd like to give you a 'disagree' but probably a tad harsh. If anyone is to blame here, it is ex PMTM. The snoflake brigade should be aiming their vicious attacks towards her, she gave it to him. It's not Mr Boycott's fault he was knighted. People need to learn to move on and get a life.

Speaking as one of those, I was a tad disappointed. It didn't feel like the slaps, kicks or punches I used to endure though.

He's a sad old self-opinionated has-been who never put team above self, so doesn't deserve the K.
Whilst I would not like to make light of your abuse, I don't think Boycott deserves a k for the reasons you state in your second paragraph. I have long been a listener to TMS since it was long wave on radio 4, but in the last few years Boycot's "contribution" has had me reaching for the dial.
The likes of Botham and now Strauss have done much more than just play cricket to receive their K's. What has Boycott done apart from give the impressionists someone to take the piss out of?

That’s kind of my point with Butler. He’s batting so far down the order that he’s a counter attacking luxury if the top order works properly. If the captaincy affected his batting, so what? Especially if Root recovered his mojo.

Whilst I would not like to make light of your abuse, I don't think Boycott deserves a k for the reasons you state in your second paragraph. I have long been a listener to TMS since it was long wave on radio 4, but in the last few years Boycot's "contribution" has had me reaching for the dial.
The likes of Botham and now Strauss have done much more than just play cricket to receive their K's. What has Boycott done in the last 25 years apart from give the impressionists someone to take the piss out of?
I don't think there's any doubt that in his day Boycott was a talented cricketer, who probably deserved some recognition at the time for what he did when playing both for county and country.

Latest Threads