The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
So much for using the dead rubber for some experimentation and thinking about the future.

'England Cricket Board has named the same squad from the Fourth Ashes Test to Fifth and final Ashes test.'

Read the full news here https://www.bdcrictime.com/england-name-same-squad-for-fifth-ashes-test/
Just goes to show, we know better than the ECB Selectors...or do we?

Maybe now that the Ashes result has been decided, they have been given the brief to forget about playing safe, or batting yourself in, just go out and smash it like it was a T20 match.

Can't do any worse than 78 all out...can they?

Just goes to show, we know better than the ECB Selectors...or do we?

Maybe now that the Ashes result has been decided, they have been given the brief to forget about playing safe, or batting yourself in, just go out and smash it like it was a T20 match.

Can't do any worse than 78 all out...can they?
A great way to throw away any value in a match, and reinforce the T20 'slog or bust' mentality.

So much for using the dead rubber for some experimentation and thinking about the future.

'England Cricket Board has named the same squad from the Fourth Ashes Test to Fifth and final Ashes test.'

Read the full news here https://www.bdcrictime.com/england-name-same-squad-for-fifth-ashes-test/
It’s not a dead rubber though is it? Australia have retained the Ashes, they haven’t won them. The series can still be drawn. Which is worth 24 World Test Championship points.

It’s not a dead rubber though is it? Australia have retained the Ashes, they haven’t won them. The series can still be drawn. Which is worth 24 World Test Championship points.
Yay, finally World Test Championship with a scoring system that is even more complicated than Duckworth Lewis Stern. It's exactly what cricket needs at the moment.
As I understand it you are better off playing shorter 2 or 3 test series as each test scores a higher percentage of the 120 points on offer for each series rather than the 4 or 5 England like to play. Andrew Samson was trying to explain it and even he was getting confused.

The upcoming series against New Zealand doesn't count for some reason so is there any point in sending a full strength team?

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Yay, finally World Test Championship with a scoring system that is even more complicated than Duckworth Lewis Stern. It's exactly what cricket needs at the moment.
As I understand it you are better off playing shorter 2 or 3 test series as each test scores a higher percentage of the 120 points on offer for each series rather than the 4 or 5 England like to play. Andrew Samson was trying to explain it and even he was getting confused.

The upcoming series against New Zealand doesn't count for some reason so is there any point in sending a full strength team?
That's it, I'm off to troll the Brexit Thread...

I suspect brexit is far less complicated, easier to figure out in the long run and created by more likeable characters than the ECB and ICC.
Brexit is part of the solution. Assuming Boris get the job done, there will be no kolpak players in county cricket next year. Counties will be allowed two overseas professionals.

Brexit is part of the solution. Assuming Boris get the job done, there will be no kolpak players in county cricket next year. Counties will be allowed two overseas professionals.
No new Kolpak players next season but existing contracts honoured until 2021 was the info floating around a few weeks ago. That info have changed many times since then so who knows.

The last block of County Championship matches start in the morning. 3 matches in 3 weeks after playing that amount in the best part of 3 months.

So doesn't all of the above apply to the Australians as well? They must be in the same situation as England, so how come it doesn't affect them?
Probably more so. There are only six first class cricket teams in Australia- the State teams playing in the Sheffield Shield. The squads are representative, not full time. Below the Shield you have Grade cricket in the state capitals, which features two day games played over successive Saturdays.

Grade professionals get selected to represent their state. There are plenty of young overseas cricketers at Grade level, but they usually only get one season. So very few non-Australians get to play in the Shield.

The Sheffield Shield has been pushed sideways by The Big Bash which dominates domestic cricket. Very similar to what goes on in England with one day cricket.

The other big issue confronting Australian cricket is the loss of the back yard particularly in the cities.

TBH Australian cricket is in a similar place to England cricket. Smith is a once-in-a-lifetime player who started in first class cricket as a spinner (shades of KP). Labushange developed as a first class batsman with Glamorgan. They’ve got a good set of bowlers, but there’s no depth beyond the touring team.

The Sheffield Shield has been pushed sideways by The Big Bash which dominates domestic cricket. Very similar to what goes on in England with one day cricket.

The other big issue confronting Australian cricket is the loss of the back yard particularly in the cities.

TBH Australian cricket is in a similar place to England cricket. Smith is a once-in-a-lifetime player who started in first class cricket as a spinner (shades of KP). Labushange developed as a first class batsman with Glamorgan. They’ve got a good set of bowlers, but there’s no depth beyond the touring team.
And yet, with far more players in England (& Wales) the ECB can't cobble together a Test side.

And yet, with far more players in England (& Wales) the ECB can't cobble together a Test side.
Exactly. IMHO the intensity of competition between states playing in the Shield is far more intensive than the County Championship. Crowds are crap though; you’d be lucky to get 500 in most games.

Still the same one day dominated issues as England has though; Australia hasn’t produced a test opener since Hayden and Langer retired. Plenty of flat track bullies, one day stroke makers and all rounders, but none who have nailed it as a proper test opener.

They’ll always produce quick bowlers; the pitches encourage it. There’s no space for military medium county trundlers on fast Aussie pitches.

I don’t think there’s much between England and Australia. Had Anderson would have made a huge difference to this series.

Arise Sir Geoffrey Boycott not deserved & Sir Andrew Strauss very deserved.
Boycott will expect ALL to call him Sir now, Mrs May must have forgotten his domestic abuse record!

Arise Sir Geoffrey Boycott not deserved & Sir Andrew Strauss very deserved.
Boycott will expect ALL to call him Sir now, Mrs May must have forgotten his domestic abuse record!
I can’t wait for Aggers on TMS on Thursday - there will be some merciless piss takes of Sir Geoffrey now it’s official! :grin:

I can’t wait for Aggers on TMS on Thursday - there will be some merciless piss takes of Sir Geoffrey now it’s official! :grin:
Jesus H. Christ Jun, the Sisterhood is really tearing into Sir Geoff on their Radio 4 propaganda hour.
‘Convicted wife beater; sending the wrong message,’ etc ad nauseam.
(No, I’m not listening to it, I just happened to hear a bit on herself’s radio as I was switching over to ‘The Brothers Karamazov’ on 4 Extra.)
Odds on they were prompted to it by the interview he gave on ‘Today’ at about 0830. It was excellent. He was brooking no nonsense from the female interviewer. “Look love, etc” .
That, alone, would have roused the Sisters to their heights of indignation.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I don’t think there’s much between England and Australia. Had Anderson would have made a huge difference to this series.
Agree with all your points. We didn't look like a test match team at the start of the series, and so it proved. Our selection and prep have been shocking in comparison to Aus (who used the Dukes for a year!)

I do think, however, that there is some light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this series will be the catalyst for a bit of a more 'realistic' era of test match planning and selection.

We've got 3 or 4 decent fast bowlers (Archer, Wood, Stone and maybe J Overton) if we can keep just 2 of them fit, we are in business. I am encouraged to see a new form of central contract to address this. Shame none of them is a Lefty.

There are two pretty decent leggies knocking around - Parkinson and Rashid. Leach has shown promise in terms of mental toughness.

Broad and Anderson still have a few years between them.

If we can get three openers at the top of the order (Burns, Sibley and maybe Lyth), then we've enough in the middle order already to build upon and suddenly we start looking like a test match side again.

Burns
Sibley
Lyth
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Archer
Broad/Curran
Leach/Parkinson/Rashid
Anderson/Wood/Stone

I would not be against seeing Stokes in the no/3 role to make a bit of room lower down for Curran so we have a change of angle.

Latest Threads