The unimaginatively titled general cricket thread.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I have been requested to start a general cricket thread, so here it is! I hope it will be filled with glory, England starting world domination of cricket. Experience, however, leads me to think that the future will be not that. I strongly suspect that some matches may well be a pile of rats droppings.

That said, we have won a test match and convincingly so. So, we are off on a good note.

Dom Bess appears to be a good pick for the team. Not much spin for him at Leeds, so the vacancy left by Swann is still open. Buttler played well, but him in the white and red ball teams seems to me to be a bit much. Big questions over Cook. Despite his very impressive history, I think that each team have studied him in detail and know how to get him out. We cannot rely on Root getting England out of the brown stuff every match. He contributes hugely to each match, but he cannot go on this way. Malan has severe faults. I would give Keaton Jennings the benefit of the doubt and let him play himself in as a batsman. I had great hopes of Stoneman, but alas, not so.

So, two test matches into the summer, and one down, one won.

Incidentally, is throwing an ipad against a brick wall when Boycott is summarising classed as accidental damage? Waqar Younis cannot summarise for toffee, but he is funny, giggling all the time.

Excellent thread. I effing hare Dan Norcross and the simpering wankpig who covers Surrey cricket for the BBC.

Generally the commentary is good but it can verge into last of the summer wine style in jokes.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Excellent result against the Pakistanis today. An "innings and" is always a good result, but after the dismal performance in the first test, this was most welcome.
By the way, throwing anything when Geoffrhey Boycott is twittering on is a good way of shutting him up. Throwing bricks at Geoffrey Boycott is an even better way of shutting the Kunt up.

I have been requested to start a general cricket thread, so here it is! I hope it will be filled with glory, England starting world domination of cricket. Experience, however, leads me to think that the future will be not that. I strongly suspect that some matches may well be a pile of rats droppings.

That said, we have won a test match and convincingly so. So, we are off on a good note.

Dom Bess appears to be a good pick for the team. Not much spin for him at Leeds, so the vacancy left by Swann is still open. Buttler played well, but him in the white and red ball teams seems to me to be a bit much. Big questions over Cook. Despite his very impressive history, I think that each team have studied him in detail and know how to get him out. We cannot rely on Root getting England out of the brown stuff every match. He contributes hugely to each match, but he cannot go on this way. Malan has severe faults. I would give Keaton Jennings the benefit of the doubt and let him play himself in as a batsman. I had great hopes of Stoneman, but alas, not so.

So, two test matches into the summer, and one down, one won.

Incidentally, is throwing an ipad against a brick wall when Boycott is summarising classed as accidental damage? Waqar Younis cannot summarise for toffee, but he is funny, giggling all the time.
I agree wholeheartedly with every point you make, and would also add, I think we need to move on from Jimmy and Broady, they’ve both had a half decent match on God’s own turf, but they aren’t the attacking force they once were, we need a genuine pace man to open the attack, and neither of them are it unfortunately. Both legends, and have been magnificent for their country, but time to bow out gracefully imho.

Oh and as a Yorkshireman I fully concur, Boycott is an utter bellend! He plays regularly at my brothers golf course, and you could not wish to meet a more arrogant prick.

MB

Vaughn needs to publicly apologise for his comments on Stuart Broad after cracking bowling figures and a 6 wicket haul in the match.

As I said in the previous thread, two test matches played in the right spirit of the game. What a shame they couldn't have a decider, because the powers that be wanted to fit (yet another!) one day series in before the India Test matches.
Good to see Buttler slotting back into the England Test side and Bess looks very good.
Bring on India!

Vaughn needs to publicly apologise for his comments on Stuart Broad after cracking bowling figures and a 6 wicket haul in the match.
No he doesn't, he's a pundit and he punned an idea which had sense and merit. Broad responded bit petulantly and Vaughn rightly said 'wait until you've won the game before gobbing off'. As for Boycott he may sometimes be a parody of himself [cf uncovered pitches etc] but he does sort of know what he's talking about on the subject of batting having been rather good at it in his time.

No he doesn't, he's a pundit and he punned an idea which had sense and merit. Broad responded bit petulantly and Vaughn rightly said 'wait until you've won the game before gobbing off'. As for Boycott he may sometimes be a parody of himself [cf uncovered pitches etc] but he does sort of know what he's talking about on the subject of batting having been rather good at it in his time.
Yes he should, he was wrong, when you’re wrong the gentlemanly thing to do is to apologise.

Are you from Yorkshire?

Yes he should, he was wrong, when you’re wrong the gentlemanly thing to do is to apologise.

Are you from Yorkshire?
I grew up there but I have no beef with Broad or Vaughn. Vaughn has said he has nothing against Braod personally - he was just putting an idea out there about how the team is run. It doesn't matter whether I agree with him but I think he made his points in a reasoned fair way. If Broad doesn't like it then that's how it is.

I grew up there but I have no beef with Broad or Vaughn. Vaughn has said he has nothing against Braod personally - he was just putting an idea out there about how the team is run. It doesn't matter whether I agree with him but I think he made his points in a reasoned fair way. If Broad doesn't like it then that's how it is.
Aha so you’re a Yorkshireman, therefore I’ll have to let you off asit is well known that those from Yorkshire never admit to being wrong and certainly never apologise.

Last edited:

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
No he doesn't, he's a pundit and he punned an idea which had sense and merit. Broad responded bit petulantly and Vaughn rightly said 'wait until you've won the game before gobbing off'. As for Boycott he may sometimes be a parody of himself [cf uncovered pitches etc] but he does sort of know what he's talking about on the subject of batting having been rather good at it in his time.[/QUOTE

No doubt about Boycott knowing what he is talking about, he does, but I sometimes thinks he farts higher than his own arse. I have been a Nottinghamshire fan for some decades, and my dear departed Dad was good mates with Derek Randall. Can you see where this is going? Trent Bridge, I think. I have never forgiven Boycott for that run out and I dont think I ever will.

My Dad was an umpire for the local leagues and said that Dickie Bird was unpleasant to work with, my father didnt use much profanity, but I got the distinct impression that Bird also farted higher than his own arse. Never met the man*, but my Dad was a good judge of character.

As we are facing India in the next test, I look forward to hearing Rahul Dravid. Now he really does know cricket, and presents his thoughts coherently and without bombast. I would rather listen to Dravid for one minute and learn more about the match in progress than Boycott going on about uncovered peaches** until I have to become physically violent to innocent electronic devices.

Michael Vaughan does talk some sense, but his arrogance does come out a bit. Broad is not arrogant, he is confident for sure, but I would not say arrogant.

*Never met him to talk to, but saw him and shook his hand but that is about it.

**Not a spelling mistake

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent thread. I effing hare Dan Norcross and the simpering wankpig who covers Surrey cricket for the BBC.

Generally the commentary is good but it can verge into last of the summer wine style in jokes.
I adore TMS, but Norcross is annoying. He has a supercilious manner about him which puts him into the Boycott standard of being punchable. I have no idea how Andrew Samson tolerates him.

I love to listen to Vic Marks.. His humour is perceptive. Equally Swanny and Tuffers can be very funny, and be informative at the same time.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
No doubt about Boycott knowing what he is talking about, he does, but I sometimes thinks he farts higher than his own arse. I have been a Nottinghamshire fan for some decades, and my dear departed Dad was good mates with Derek Randall. Can you see where this is going? Trent Bridge, I think. I have never forgiven Boycott for that run out and I dont think I ever will.

My Dad was an umpire for the local leagues and said that Dickie Bird was unpleasant to work with, my father didnt use much profanity, but I got the distinct impression that Bird also farted higher than his own arse. Never met the man*, but my Dad was a good judge of character.

As we are facing India in the next test, I look forward to hearing Rahul Dravid. Now he really does know cricket, and presents his thoughts coherently and without bombast. I would rather listen to Dravid for one minute and learn more about the match in progress than Boycott going on about uncovered peaches** until I have to become physically violent to innocent electronic devices.

Michael Vaughan does talk some sense, but his arrogance does come out a bit. Broad is not arrogant, he is confident for sure, but I would not say arrogant.

*Never met him to talk to, but saw him and shook his hand but that is about it.

**Not a spelling mistake

Reposted for clarity.

urban_spaceman

War Hero
Yes, Vaughan's comments did comeback and bite him in the arrse. But is there merit in suggesting that those comments where made to get a certain response from Broady. And that he got that response?
Great result though.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, Vaughan's comments did comeback and bite him in the arrse. But is there merit in suggesting that those comments where made to get a certain response from Broady. And that he got that response?
Great result though.
I didnt see the interview, but that is the sort of thing Vaughan was saying throughout the match, fair one if he said what he thought to the actual players, and therefore got an honest response.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I was very surprised that there was remarkably little swing at Leeds, even given a humid atmosphere and a dry pitch. I didnt actually see any of the Pakistanis bowl any spin, but I did see Bess trying to turn it, with very little effect.

What is the country coming to when we cannot produce a hugely unstable pitch?

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The trouble with most TV pundits is that they are retired sportsmen (and women) who essentially feel that the viewers want to hear what pearls of wisdom they have to offer. They don't! Pundits are like Karaoke singers; a knob gobbing off into a mike without a clue of what they are doing! STFU and put Jonners on.

Latest Threads