The Ultimate Bar Walt Tale -

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rocketeer, May 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And its all true!..

Damn!!

Can see it, some old geezer slumped over his beer putting down the new crop of jet jockeys with this story..

There I was at 6000 feet...

Just read about Grahame Donald, Royal Navy Air Service pilot WWI [ story from the Sunday Telegraph? ] who, in 1917, was executing a loop in his Sopwith Camel when his harness broke and he fell out of the cockpit.. plunging 2000 feet he says " terra firma looked damnably firma "..

He then heard the sound of his Sopwith approaching [ seems it completed the loop all by its lonesome ] and he landed on the top wing, managed to grab hold, fight his way into the cockpit, grab the controls, pull her out of the loop and execute an " unusually good landing "...

DAMN!! if Hollywood Bruckheimer had done this stunt starring Matt Damon or Brad Pitt it would have been laughed off the screen.. yet the boy lived to be a man and tell the tale decades later...

[ the cynic in me still got to ask... how the f' do we know? anyone witness the incident? ]

What a beer time story....cue C. Aubrey Smith... "there I was at the head of the ol' 68th...and on the other side , the Russians.. guns, guns, guns..."

2. Not quite as elaborate but still a bar tale...
    Was in the uni bar a few years ago. I had just got back from a recruit weekend with the TA which had involved a go on the 25m range.
    "So how did you do?" asked a fellow student notorious for his tales about his former employment in the Navy which involved stints attached to 'Them'.
    "Alright" I reply, and tell him my abysmally poor grouping.
    "Ah," he says. "I remember the old SA80, I hardly ever used mine. When I did break it out of my locker, I got a grouping of 5mm."
    I ignore the comment about the locker being used as weapon storage and enquire;
    "5mm huh, that’s odd...seeing as the width of the round itself is 5.56mm."
    ...he was a cnut!

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's nothing, I could tell you all about my adventures on the indoor grenade range, but it's all hush hush.

4. Groups are measured from centre to centre. So it would be possible. I've shot a .25 inch group with my TRG that has a .30 bore!

Otherwise, I'm sure you were right!

• Like Like x 1
  5. 'Yeah, well what happened right was we was on this patrol in Bos right and we found this, like, disturbed earth and we had a quick scan about like and there were bits of bone and stuff and we got well freaked out and reported it like, so we got told to secure the area and wait for the U.N. and we helped them dig these bodies up, took two days like and it fcuking stunk, really messed me head up mate so I signed off when I got back'
    Related to me at a rugby function by an RLC lad with a couple of weeks to go, the tour was in 2003 ! Fcuking lemon ! :x (and delivered in a brummie accent..nightmare)

6. Yes, in 2003 he would have had a long wait for the UN! However perhaps he could have flagged down a passing ICTY team??

7. My point exactly, and the Commandant General wonders why I get an arrse on when we invariably encounter these choppers on our nights out, bless her..

8. Who cares if its true anyone who could tell a tale like that with any credibility deserves a beer imho.

9. Have a word with yourself ! What credibility ? The dates ? Mass graves being tended to by British troops in 2003 ? The wrong investigating authority being deployed ? A spotty herbert relating the tale to a room full of lads in West Yorkshire half of who have served in varying degrees ? Nil credibility there pal.

10. I meant the sopwith camel tale should have made it clear not the horror
    story in bosnia.

11. No worries, like your train of thought though, will you kiss me in my special place ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. The early years of aviation abound with tales that would make even the most imaginative pub walt baulk in disbelief.

Another classic is that of Capt. Louis Arbon Strange, of No. 6 Squadron, who, during the course of an indecisive engagement on May 10, 1915 found himself hanging from the drum of his Lewis gun.

His Martinsyde Scout had inverted during this tricky reloading manoeuvre, as the drum change necessitated the removal of lap straps and holding the control column between the knees.

It all went tits and Strange was left dangling from his upside-down aircraft several thousand feet above the trenches. He somehow managed to swing himself back up in to the cockpit and kick the column enough to roll the aircraft upright - booting in the instrument panel facia in the process (for which he was billed). Strange managed to regain enough composure to return himself and his charge back to the aerodrome.

Whilst this is no where as unbelievable as actually falling out of an aircraft and then falling back in to it several hundred feet later, it did happen and is documented.

There are also several documented cases of individuals vacating aircraft - both voluntary and otherwise - and surviving falls after parachute failure. One even landed on a bed after smashing through the roof of a convent, though I might have either made this up, or read it in the Victor.

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I seem to remember the tail of an Air gunner who climbed onto the wing over Germany with a fire extinguisher to put out a burning engine or wing
    Got burnt went back in climbed back out and fell off with parachute
    IIRC when he went to collect his VC he was with Gp Cpt Cheshire who pointed out to the king he deserves it more than me sir
    IIRC also his F/SGT in training told him he would either win a VC or end up in jail
    He received a telegram from his ex F/SGT saying "see I told you so" :D

Ah found a link
    F/Sgt N.C Jackson V.C
    Although wounded by a fighter attack, in an act of astonishing bravery he crawled out onto the wing of his burning Lancaster to try to extinguish the flames before being swept into the night

http://www.rafbombercommand.com/people_vcwinners_citations001.html#normancyriljackson

14. Crawling around on burning wings became so passé after every bugger started doing it.

Ward VC

15. Flight Sergeant Nicholas Steven Alkemade jumped from his Lancaster at 18,000 feet to escape the holocaust of his blazing bomber, leaving behind his useless parachute that had been torn to shreds by shrapnel and was in flames. His headlong fall was broken by a fir tree and he finally landed in an eighteen inch snow-drift, without a single fracture. Naturally, the Luftwaffe authorities were highly suspicious of his story of falling from such a height without a parachute, but on investigation they found his shredded and unused ‘chute in the crashed remains of the aircraft. Tail gunners had to stash their parachutes inside the fuselage, and when Alkemade opened the rear hatch of his turret, he found flames raging inside the plane and his only means of escape a blazing mass of silk. Faced with the choice of falling to his death or burning to a crisp, he rotated the turret and did a back somersault into space, 18,000 feet above Germany. Falling at speeds of up to 120mph, it would have taken him about two minutes to hit the ground. He was fantastically lucky. First, he blacked out during the fall, ensuring his body would not be dangerously rigid and tense on impact. Second, he fell into a dense pine forest, whose branches broke his fall, and then into a deep snowdrift. He survived with nothing worse than a somewhat twisted ankle. Alkemade's case is particularly well-researched because the Germans who found him discovered that his parachute harness had not been used and suspected him of being a spy. A Luftwaffe probe, involving an investigation of the crashed bomber, proved the airman's story, and Alkemade was shipped off into captivity. He survived the war and eventually passed away on 22 June 1987.

Lucky Barsteward!

• Like Like x 1