The UK is less creditworthy than McDonalds - seen this?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by gobbyidiot, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Are you surprised? If any of McDonalds was run by the clowns who are running (down) this country it would have gone bust years ago.

2. Not surprised in the slightest.

I wouldn't trust Gordon Brown or anyone else in his cabinet to run a bath let alone the finances of our once great nation.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Never mind the finances they've fcuked up just about everything they've touched.

4. At least the McDonalds clown is just a marketing tool.

The Governments clown is the PM

5. All true, but in the cold light of day not really a rational market reaction. There is about as much chance of HMG defaulting as there is of France landing to steal our non-existent gold.

6. All too true!

Why would the French waste their time, effort and resources landing on our shores when they know full well 'our' gold was sold off at silly prices to prop uo the German economy specifically, and the euro broadly?

Parapauk,
    It's clear that you have more than two grey cells between your ears. So why do you waste their use on trying to create 'clever' one liners that appear to say one thing, but mean something completely different? On this occasion, I think you've got your antenna misaligned. :(

7. We've done it before in living memory. In the 70s the UK had to be bailed out by the IMF. Governments defaulting on debt isn't a breach of the laws of physics, it's just what happens when the 'whiparound' of taxpayers can't raise enough cash to make that year's payments. It can happen any time if you have irresponsible people in charge for long enough.

8. I like the one liners because I can't be bothered to go trawling through the NSO website to form a detailed macroeconomic argument for every post. More importantly though, what I said wasn't at all contradictory - yes the economy is a mess for all the reasons that we know, but at the same time we arn't going to default. The key when looking at the 1970s crisis would be to look at the interest payments on the debt in question - even at it's 2015 peak it won't go beyond 2.5% of GDP - far too much but well outside the need to get the IMF involved.

9. Economics has always been a bit of a black hole to me (ask my bank manager!) but this really makes perfect sense.

Think of the amount of wasting, dole scrounging chavs we have in the UK. How many of them pay any sort of tax into the Gubmint, not a single soul. How many thousands a year do they chuck over the counter of Maccy D's to buy their screaming broods big macs and happy meals? Even I can do those economics :)

10. Yep, no surprises there at all. McD is a global empire....I've just read Fast Food Nation, I would recommend it as interesting and light-shedding, and it highlights what vast economic leverage that company has. I'm no economic whizzkid either, and what I really can't understand about what is going on at the moment is that if governments start glad-handing it to private firms, the result will be greater universal poverty for the majority simply in order to keep those who are already rich in the manner to which they are accustomed. The end result of this will be anarchy. Is that what those who rule us really want? I have a tendency to think so.

11. Jump on that deal then - £120k for every 10 million you insure. Money for nothing!!

12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Cyclops is no clown - it's just been proven that he can't do as good a job as one! He's something far worse...

My housemates were watching "It" last night. Maybe he's that kind of clown if anything.

13. Perhaps we should call him Sidam (Midas backwards) 'cos everything he touches turns to sh1t

14. Fortunately we have Gordo in charge just when we need him. The only people who don't think he's doing a good job are:

1. 99% of those on ARRSE

2. Tories (see 1)

3. Some German bloke.