The UK has the most well-mannered, genuine people

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Matematik, Dec 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To be honest I think you'd struggle to find a more well-mannered and up-front country than the UK. In restaurants the bill is always correct, shops rarely purposely try to short-change you and if you have a complaint the customer is always right.

In my travels, I have found in most other countries the opposite is true. People are not well-mannered, they shout, they can't queue, they try to over-charge you, they try to short-change you, and if you have a complaint, often the people in the shop get aggressive with you and gang up on you. Abroad, the customer is generally wrong and you, the insignificant customer must accept that.

I recall an event in Turkey where I was over-charged in a restaurant, I argued my case and I had the whole restaurant staff gang-up on me basically saying "pay up if you value your well-being". I stood firm and got them to amend the bill in the end, but they tried their hardest to intimidate me into paying up. This would have never have happened in the UK yet is rather common place in Turkey and in other countries.

I've also had similar run-ins in restaurants and shops in countries such as Morocco, Tunisia and even Spain where the staff have got nasty over a complaint of over-charging. They absolutely HATE to be caught out and turn on you if you do catch them.

On the whole I think you'd struggle to find a country with more mild-mannered, genuine, trust-worthy people than the UK.
  2. Thailand.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. So do I and with a smigeon of salad cream on them.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. "So do I and with a smigeon of salad cream on them."

Personally I prefer Mayo and just a hint of tartar sauce, failing that a splash of vinegar
  5. Lemon juice, freshly squeezed not that stuff out of the plastic lemon though.
  6. I thought they were only for Pancake Day on the patch?
  7. The bill isnt always correct, though it's usually corrected fairly easily. Try arguing your 'Statutory Rights' with shop staff, when something goes wrong with an item you have purchased.
  8. Cheese Hamwich Sandwiches, they are the Sandwich of Kings.
  9. I like my fish finger sandwiches with a pinch of salt and lashings of tomato sauce!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Oh dear, WTF?..Our hymn this morning is "Go find ye the Lord" from New Every Morning.......all together now, a one, a one, two, three, four
  11. Yeah,but you're from North of Watford,kid ! :nod:
    Happy New Year.:thumright:
  12. ... weve got a branch of morrissons now and they sell cockles in big jars... my mate gay Jon calls cockles "lips and *********" .. but hes a heathen and doesnt like them.
  13. So far north of it that I have to have my fish fingers imported :wink:
    Happy New year to you and yours mukker :thumright:
  14. Another poignant and well needed thread from Matematik.. Well done sir, well done.
  15. Not much of a gayer if he doesn't like lips and *********!