The UK has agreed to deploy a reconnaissance sub unit to EUFOR in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Does anyone know why UK MOD PLC has agreed to supplement EUFOR in BiH with a recce unit. Seems a bit strange to me as we approach some form of Brexit.

Interesting you ask, but I shall fill you in as best I can.

In short, we had a brief on this. Apparently there are reports of the Russians trying to ramp up support for a separatist faction in Bosnia that is going to rise up against the government and attempt to annex a section of the country in. This is a direct consequence of Russia's aggressive foreign policy under Putin. There has already been sporadic fighting between Bosnian nationalists and ethnic Russians living in the East of the country, and Theresa has decided to deploy a recce element to keep an eye on proceedings to see who starts to win so we can pledge our full support or ignore it entirely of it's clearly not going to go our way.

...That also may be Ukraine.

Does anyone know why UK MOD PLC has agreed to supplement EUFOR in BiH with a recce unit. Seems a bit strange to me as we approach some form of Brexit.
Ah right, I suppose that due to Brexit we no longer have any interest in security sector cooperation with other European countries and have no further interest in the Western Balkans in which we have expended blood and treasure over the years?

Ah right, I suppose that due to Brexit we no longer have any interest in security sector cooperation with other European countries and have no further interest in the Western Balkans in which we have expended blood and treasure over the years?
As far as I'm aware NATO still exists, why bother with EUFOR which is frankly a waste of time.

As far as I'm aware NATO still exists, why bother with EUFOR which is frankly a waste of time.

Well, various parts of the Western Balkans aspire to join the EU. Or would you rather see them succumb to Putin?

As you well know EUFOR is the current international force in Bosnia-Herzegovina tasked with implementation of most aspects of the Dayton Agreement, and operates under NATO headquarters SHAPE. NATO's DSACEUR, a British General, holds the higher operational command. If EUFOR is a waste of time it will be less so with continued British involvement.

EUFOR will become as irregularly funded and unequally resourced by its constituent nations as is NATO.
You have a crystal ball apparently, but member states contribute an annual share based on their Gross National Income. I'm not interested in a pro or anti-EU (or anti-NATO) argument, just supporting a reasonable UK Government decision to deploy a relatively small number of personnel ahead of elections in Bosnia-Herzegovina in the autumn.

I see that you've gone into Bravo_Bravo mode.
Which EU members do you think are batting for Putin?

I accept the new and fragile Italian Govt is looking for support in that direction and Hungary is looking rather dodgy. You must have some thoughts behind your statement.

Latest Threads