The UK/European migrant problem

I don't think there is any intentiion to revise it unfortunatly. Even though it was designed for totatly different times, and badly needs updating.
disagree, the old one just needs interpreting the correct way. All countries have signed the HNCHR. They are therefore bound by its humanitarian rule- unless of course they have the guts to leave, but that would never do.

Should any operator in a country do that, that country should go straight onto a blacklist, and be banned from flying to Western countries, and have any assets there frozen. Individual airframes operated by offending operators/countries should also be flagged for seizure if they should ever venture to the civilised world, and even if they are sold. Such airplanes should be red flagged, so prospective purchasers will know to avoid these, making their re-sale value near worthless.
And yet it's pretty common practice and nothing gets done.

What was all that squealing about slavery...?

I hear the government have just passed a bill to stop freedom of movement from Europe.

Or perhaps more aptly MP’s are now interpreting FoM correctly.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Or perhaps more aptly MP’s are now interpreting FoM correctly.
that's all very well for the legal ones but what about the illegal ones who seem to be welcomed with open arms?

@History_Man

In light of the article below , would there be any point in opening a Calais asylum assessment centre ?
It could screen and in doing so go some way to slowing down the free for all. The centre could issue identification and organise transport across the channel.
As per the article, anyone else who tips up gets returned.
Your thoughts ?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
@History_Man

In light of the article below , would there be any point in opening a Calais asylum assessment centre ?
It could screen and in doing so go some way to slowing down the free for all. The centre could issue identification and organise transport across the channel.
Your thoughts ?

Might work, but imagine the size of the camp as they all waited for an appointment/ship and where would the rejected ones go?

Better to stop them reaching the French coast. Easier in countries where ID needs to be carried, I should think.

@History_Man

Your thoughts ?

I know Tony Smith and he speaks a lot of sense; in this case, it could work if (i) the French agreed to it (ii) the screening process had an independent right of appeal (iii) that detention times were not excessive (iv) adequate provision for made for the vulnerable and (v) suitable repatriation arrangements were made for the unsuccessful. If these arrangements were not made then I fear that we would have a scandal on our hands as bad as the Boer War concentration camps.

Might work, but imagine the size of the camp as they all waited for an appointment/ship and where would the rejected ones go?

Better to stop them reaching the French coast. Easier in countries where ID needs to be carried, I should think.
Im not having a pop but Italy and France have cards and that has done nothing to stop the draw.
I know the French authorities dispersed the jungle back in 2019 and it achieved nothing more than a mass burning of the shanty town.

I know Tony Smith and he speaks a lot of sense; in this case, it could work if (i) the French agreed to it (ii) the screening process had an independent right of appeal (iii) that detention times were not excessive (iv) adequate provision for made for the vulnerable and (v) suitable repatriation arrangements were made for the unsuccessful. If these arrangements were not made then I fear that we would have a scandal on our hands as bad as the Boer War concentration camps.
Regards the
detention times
"vulnerable"
repatriation

Are the above down to a UN set of laws or the ECHR ?
Will our hands still be tied regards that aspect of the law post EU ?

Regards the
detention times
"vulnerable"
repatriation

Are the above down to a UN set of laws or the ECHR ?
Will our hands still be tied regards that aspect of the law post EU ?
Our membership of the ECHR is outwith that of the EU, so yes. The UN does not legislate but issues guidelines and, of course, Parliament legislate. Yesterday, a significant number of MPs voted to limit immigration detention in the UK to 28 days maximum. They were defeated but there is clearly a groundswell of opinion there.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
@History_Man

Your thoughts ?

I feel that those who wish to be illegal immigrants will not use such camps. Surely the better thing would be to make it unattractive for them to cross the English Channel regardless of how they journey.

I feel that those who wish to be illegal immigrants will not use such camps. Surely the better thing would be to make it unattractive for them to cross the English Channel regardless of how they journey.
The camps might well prove popular if there is a reasonable chance of a positive screening outcome; if we say 1:100 will be admitted, nobody will bother, if it is higher, then individuals will probably comply. I must say that the French will almost certainly push very, very hard for us to take in 50% of all applications.

I know Tony Smith and he speaks a lot of sense; in this case, it could work if (i) the French agreed to it (ii) the screening process had an independent right of appeal (iii) that detention times were not excessive (iv) adequate provision for made for the vulnerable and
I have highlighted the part that dictates why it will not work.

The howls of '' They are all vulnerable '' will be heard across the width of the English Channel.

See HMs reply above reference MPs voting to limit the detention timeline (and unfortunate defeat) It's an indication that even MPs ( a self serving breed apart ) recognise the system is broken

I have highlighted the part that dictates why it will not work.

The howls of '' They are all vulnerable '' will be heard across the width of the English Channel.
Which is bollocks; I am thinking specifically of minors, pregnant women, the disabled and the elderly. Fighting age males are not vulnerable.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Im not having a pop but Italy and France have cards and that has done nothing to stop the draw.
I know the French authorities dispersed the jungle back in 2019 and it achieved nothing more than a mass burning of the shanty town.
They have cards but choose not to check them for certain people who are 'in transit' away from their country. We need to persuade them to do that, imho.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

It just needs a few machine gun posts on the Greek and Bulgarian borders, every 100 yards should do it.

Latest Threads