• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The UK/European migrant problem

Native population in the Netherlands up in arms this morning about the sentence handed down to an Afghan asylum seeker. (Up in arms here usually means a few will rustle their papers, others will be tutting and Wilders will probably ask a question in Parliament before normal jogging is resumed.)

Said Afghan was found guilty of the rape of an 18 year old in a shop where he worked. The victim was described as being a bit simple but but not a complete spakker. He lured her in to the back of the shop for a blowie and then gave her a good seeing to. Sentence for all this was 20 months!!! Pathetic if the reports are to be believed. Its starting to sound like India.

The judge claimed that the sentence was lighter than normal so that the guilty bastard wouldn't lose his permit to stay in the country. Spoke to a few people this morning and even here nobody can understand the reasoning. People get longer sentences for dozens of other lesser crimes. The last word still hasn't been said as a number of sources were reporting that the prosecutor will appeal the sentence. Even so a lot of ordinary law abiding people have given up on the rule of law as they know that the criminal seems to have more rights than the victim.

Here's one source. Several others are available. Its in Dutch but Google Translate may be of help.

'Rechter straft asielzoeker die vrouw verkrachtte lichter om uitzetting te voorkomen'
The pathetic excuse for a judge needs glassing in the face - Begbie style.

The stuff they destroyed doesn't really have a market value though, most of it was small pieces of every day objects, ship rivets, nails etc. You would have to be even nerdier than I am to want to buy it.

Second issue is museums releasing artefacts on to the open market helps mask the activities of the scumbags who loot archaeological sites and then sell what they find. The more people there are selling artefacts, the harder they are to spot.
Curious.

If these items don't "really have a market value" how come there are "scumbags who loot archaeological sites"?

Curious.

If these items don't "really have a market value" how come there are "scumbags who loot archaeological sites"?
I think that the purpose of destruction is to prevent the flow of looted finds. If they just said that most people wouldn't have a problem with it. Instead they lie and try to make it out to be worthless scrap. Which it isn't. As a suggestion, why not seal the coins and the like into Perspex a4 sheets? Sell them with profits to the museum?

I think that the purpose of destruction is to prevent the flow of looted finds. If they just said that most people wouldn't have a problem with it. Instead they lie and try to make it out to be worthless scrap. Which it isn't. As a suggestion, why not seal the coins and the like into Perspex a4 sheets? Sell them with profits to the museum?
Or make up little cultural displays for schools, particularly those with immigrant children . . .

Thats my thoughts on the matter, what 10 year old kid would not spend a few bob on a Viking nail or what ever is being destroyed, plenty of museums with Viking artefacts, so more money for museums and a memory for some school kid, who knows they may then study a bit and end up in uni doing a degree.

I think most people would have a problem with destroying archaeological artifacts out of hand. Even more so if it's part of some revisionist historical reset in the name of "multicultural diversity".

Curious.

They are looking for knife blades, axes, pieces of jewellery etc because those have re-sale value. Most of what was destroyed in Sweden doesn't fall into that category. The things they are destroying there are the same things the people looting the sites are generally throwing away to try and get to the things they think are more valuable.

When the story first hit the news all the re-enactor groups exploded. Then a Swedish archaeologist and a museum curator (who are both also Viking re-enactors) explained what the reality was. Yes, there are still questions about how much stuff some of the commercial digs are destroying and about how some of the decisions are being made. But the real story is absolutely not what it was originally presented as. Pretty much they are conserving everything they can afford to and unless someone pumps a lot more money into the system it is not likely to change.

Thats my thoughts on the matter, what 10 year old kid would not spend a few bob on a Viking nail or what ever is being destroyed, plenty of museums with Viking artefacts, so more money for museums and a memory for some school kid, who knows they may then study a bit and end up in uni doing a degree.
Because without hundreds of pounds worth of conservation work done on it the kid's Viking nail will be a pile of brown dust within a couple of months. The conservation work is the expensive/difficult bit.

I am talking about whats being scarped, as you say nails and a few unintresting items, stick them in a plastic bag and flog them, we are not discussing some thing that needs providence back to Ivar the Boneless.

I am talking about whats being scarped, as you say nails and a few unintresting items, stick them in a plastic bag and flog them, we are not discussing some thing that needs providence back to Ivar the Boneless.
Who is paying for the conservation work? In the rare occasions something survives in the ground for 1,000 years it is because of the soil conditions in that particular place. If it isn't a precious metal once you remove it from those conditions it disintegrates very fast.

For the commercial work in Sweden there will be a set number of items listed at the start of the contract that conservation costs will be covered for. If that number is 6 for example, and they find 4 items that need conservation work then 4 of them are not going to be conserved, so they get scrapped. This story started when one of the State Archaeologists complained that the numbers being listed in the commercial contracts were too low and some of those deciding what would get conserved and what wouldn't weren't necessarily the right people. Some how that morphed into the Swedish Government destroying their own heritage.

Who is paying for the conservation work? In the rare occasions something survives in the ground for 1,000 years it is because of the soil conditions in that particular place. If it isn't a precious metal once you remove it from those conditions it disintegrates very fast.
Spray it with Clear Coat or dip it in wax, bag it up and sell it as a Genuine Viking Artifact. Shit, I'll do it for them. The We Wuz Vikangz crowd would keep me in business for years to come.

Latest Threads