The UFC: Getting a bit stale?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the UFC, and it has made me find boxing very boring. However, I'm of the opinion now that the fighters at the very top with the titles are just too good, and I can't see any of them changing hands any time soon.

Does anyone else agree? With the exception of Robbie Lawler/Johnny Hendricks, I can't see any other titles being under any threat after the demolition job that Jones did on Cormier this weekend. What I'd like to see next is for Jones to step up to Heavyweight and have a crack at Velasquez's belt as well, because there is literally nobody in the HW division that can challenge him.

At Lightweight, where RDA and Cerrone are decent, they're nowhere near Pettis's calibre. Even in the new Women's Strawweight division the #1 seed won the championship, and Rousey would probably beat most of the men in the UFC!

Opinions?

P

Ritch

LE
I agree with you. Jon Jones should switch to Heavyweight as his dominance at 205lbs is getting a bit stale.

With Velasquez out injured, Fabricio Werdum has the interim title. He faces Mark Hunt next, a fight I see him losing. Eventually dos Santos will pick up that title.

I only tend to watch middleweight fights and up. I was very happy to see Silva lose both of his fights to Weidman.

I'd like to see Brock Lesnar make a return as he is now cured of his diverticulitis and I read an article the other day quoting him as saying it might be happening. I feel like he could challenge the pair of Velasquez and dos Santos. They're the only two blokes in the whole division capable of winning and keeping the belt for a run.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Jon Jones should switch to Heavyweight as his dominance at 205lbs is getting a bit stale.

With Velasquez out injured, Fabricio Werdum has the interim title. He faces Mark Hunt next, a fight I see him losing. Eventually dos Santos will pick up that title.

I only tend to watch middleweight fights and up. I was very happy to see Silva lose both of his fights to Weidman.

I'd like to see Brock Lesnar make a return as he is now cured of his diverticulitis and I read an article the other day quoting him as saying it might be happening. I feel like he could challenge the pair of Velasquez and dos Santos. They're the only two blokes in the whole division capable of winning and keeping the belt for a run.

Has Werdum got Hunt again? I didn't know that. Also very exciting to see Donald Cerrone stepping in on 13 days notice to fight Benson Henderson after Eddie Alvarez cried off.

Ritch

LE
Has Werdum got Hunt again? I didn't know that. Also very exciting to see Donald Cerrone stepping in on 13 days notice to fight Benson Henderson after Eddie Alvarez cried off.

My bad. Now I've had some sleep, I can think straight. Mark Hunt called for a re-match after UFC 180 but this has been shot down I think.

Werdum has said he wants Jon Jones as his next fight but advises him to stay in LH.

IF Werdum could get Jones to the deck that would be very interesting. Having had a session with Terrere, who Werdum beat to win the ADCC Grappling Champs, his Jiu Jitsu is unbelievable.

Ritch

LE
IF Werdum could get Jones to the deck that would be very interesting. Having had a session with Terrere, who Werdum beat to win the ADCC Grappling Champs, his Jiu Jitsu is unbelievable.

Agreed. I've just been trying to guesstimate what Jones' weight would be if he made the switch to HW.

Similar to Overeem?

Who, incidentally, is going to get filled right in by Roy Nelson at UFC 185.

Ritch

LE
I think I recall an article that said Jones weighs 225+ between fights so it shouldn't be too hard to bulk right up.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Overeem but I hate Roy Nelson and would love to see his beardy face pounded into mince.

See, I like Nelson! Probably why I'm a fan of Cerrone as well, they aren't just flat out fighting droids with no personality!

Ritch

LE
See, I like Nelson! Probably why I'm a fan of Cerrone as well, they aren't just flat out fighting droids with no personality!

It's not because of his cocksure attitude that I don't like him. The bloke just rubs me up the wrong way I guess. I will be cheering for Overeem.

Ritch

LE
Overeem has a weak chin and Nelson hits hard. I'd rather Overeem win, as I don't like fat, country music fans much, but I don't think he will.

I think if Overeem could take Nelson to the floor, he'd have a chance.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
And Nelson would submit him. Overeem is hit and miss, more miss in UFC.

Jones at Heavyweight would be good. Can't see him doing it voluntarily though. Same reason why Silva refused to go up - why risk it when you can take on all comers?

I think if Jones can move like he does now at Heavyweight, a match vs Cain would be too close to call.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the UFC, and it has made me find boxing very boring. However, I'm of the opinion now that the fighters at the very top with the titles are just too good, and I can't see any of them changing hands any time soon.

Does anyone else agree? With the exception of Robbie Lawler/Johnny Hendricks, I can't see any other titles being under any threat after the demolition job that Jones did on Cormier this weekend. What I'd like to see next is for Jones to step up to Heavyweight and have a crack at Velasquez's belt as well, because there is literally nobody in the HW division that can challenge him.

At Lightweight, where RDA and Cerrone are decent, they're nowhere near Pettis's calibre. Even in the new Women's Strawweight division the #1 seed won the championship, and Rousey would probably beat most of the men in the UFC!

Opinions?

P
Good thread, although I'd take exception the boxing comment. Some cracking flights at the lowerweights, some cracking domestic fights on the card and although perhaps not the strongest cadre, the HW division is going to get competitative again.

I'm a big fan of the MMA , but I'm starting to find it stale. The dominance in certain divisions is one thing, but also the general superiority of grapplers to strikers makes for some dull fights and a lot of 'lay and prey'. I'd like to see a few rule changes to make takedowns more risky (knees to the head on grounded opponents, back of the head strikes).

Because of the above, a lot of the ppvs are a bit stale. Part from the main event and the Jordan fight, Saturday's card was very dull.

Also the rosters seems to lack of lot of characters that stand out. A lot of the guys seem generic to me and hard to recognise, this isn't helped by the quick culling of fighters on a small losing streak and the constant influx of newbies.

Two other thoughts are that there are too many rematches out there, not all neccesarily for good fights. Also don't like it when they don't strip champions of their belts for long term injuries - Cruz was an extreme and ridiculous example, but you could argue for velaquez to lose his for inactivity.
A stripped champion should come back in final elimitaor straight away though.

I think if Overeem could take Nelson to the floor, he'd have a chance.

No chance mate. Nelson is a well respected BJJ black belt, if anything it's better than that atom bomb of a overhand right.

Would love to see Brock back.

Don't know how effective he will be in the current rules. Joe Rogan mentioned that Brock struggles with the weight cut to meet the top limit on the hw division. Didn't realise there was one!

Similar to Overeem?

Who, incidentally, is going to get filled right in by Roy Nelson at UFC 185.
It shouldn't happen , but is very probable given reem's lack of co concentration and Nelson's hands

Ritch

LE
No chance mate. Nelson is a well respected BJJ black belt, if anything it's better than that atom bomb of a overhand right.

I know he's a BJJ master but I just mean there's a small chance that Overeem could land a lucky elbow. He has no chance of winning a standing bout with Nelson.

Ritch

LE
Would love to see Brock back.

Don't know how effective he will be in the current rules. Joe Rogan mentioned that Brock struggles with the weight cut to meet the top limit on the hw division. Didn't realise there was one!

I'd like to see the 265lb (18.9 stone) limit lifted to a higher weight.

Incidentally, what do people think of James 'The Colossus' Thompson? I don't think he has ever been considered for the UFC as he fights at about 20 stone. I've seen a few of his fights on YouTube and he's a decent talent. Getting on a bit now though.

Shawn Jordan and that twat Derrick Lewis also apparently have to cut to HW, as does Hunt.

Latest Threads