The U.S. Army Cook’s Manual

The U.S. Army Cook’s Manual

Yup, knew that but you'd think not having troops firing their guts across a trench would be a good thing. My point was that the amount used hardly makes it worth calling it a curry. it's about a sixth of what I'd find acceptable.

At a rough guess I'd say it's around 50g of curry powder to 20lbs of beef which is miniscule and would hardly mask the flavour at all if you could even taste it.

At a rough guess I'd say it's around 50g of curry powder to 20lbs of beef which is miniscule and would hardly mask the flavour at all if you could even taste
I suppose. But they would probably have had Tabasco as a table condiment instead of HP sauce.

Neither of which really goes with curry, although Tabasco probably sneaks in front by a whisker. Owning a barrel of the nectar is on my bucket list.

ugly

LE
Yup, knew that but you'd think not having troops firing their guts across a trench would be a good thing. My point was that the amount used hardly makes it worth calling it a curry. it's about a sixth of what I'd find acceptable.

At a rough guess I'd say it's around 50g of curry powder to 20lbs of beef which is miniscule and would hardly mask the flavour at all if you could even taste it.
I suspect that spices were more expensive than meat back then but it also reinforces the view that yanks are pussies at curries

Last edited:
Much like the French. Got served a watery stew in a restaurant in Francophone Africa. Sent it back and asked for the curry I'd ordered from the menu. Bloody manager came out and we got into a bit of a slanging match when he insisted it did indeed have curry powder in it.

Froggie SF colleague is also averse to anything with a bit of flavour. Quite happy with the American sweet runny mustard but Coleman's hot English floors him.

Amused by the curry being used as camouflage for poor meat. Missus had a pork chop two nights ago and complained about the taste, probably caused by being in freezer for too long. I have several more in there and was contemplating making what is known in this house as a Muslim curry. Then I read this thread. Clearly I am following in a great tradition.

I am from the generation that hates throwing away food, so my curries often contain dubious items. However a hard fry and several hours in a slow cooker fixes most things. Nobodies died (yet).

The missus has her own catering style, the children still shudder when talking about the Kipper carbonara they were served as children.
Youngest daughter also complained recently about being served road kill as a child in the form of a freshly killed pheasant that I stopped and collected..

It has been suggested by them that this was a form of child abuse and they may have a point.

I did come home from work on one occasion to what appeared to be the scene of a murder. Outside the house stands an old gas lamp and at it's base was a huge pool of blood. Missus had collected a deer hit by the car in front hung it from the cross bar on the gas lamp and butchered it. The children had left home by this point so it is one thing we cant be berated for.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Similar to the recipe for Elephant Stew, which I can supply if needed (and once my boxes are unpacked).

If the Brigadier and his staff turn up unexpectedly just before 'Cookhouse Call" then a rabbit can be added. This is optional as it changes the texture of the whole dish!

ugly

LE
Well Thanks to Auld-Yin I have been reading this and its a much easier read than just a recipe book with some history thrown in.

Did they have baked beans for breakfast?
I always fancied trying chipped beef on toast for breakfast, never got around to it.

When I used to get to Wiesbaden and Stuttgart the breakfast's were always humungous: Hash browns, [flat] sossidge, bacon, egg, beans, tomato's.

ugly

LE
The cousins should be banned from calling meat patties sausage, its a snorker if its in a skin and nothing else, otherwise its just squashed mincemeat and I know Lorne sausage is the same but I reckon we can let Wee Eck have regional protection for that!

ugly

LE
O to summarise so far, Ive been reading this whilst waiting for my night shifts to start. I have got about half way in and am reading about the expansion of the Army in WW1. There are some very good tips on broth and stew making that I found useful, ignore the recipe quantities and work on a family of four and they work well. There is lots about field cooker building, it cant have been an easy task being a sloppo before Soya stoves, more digging than Barney Rubble.
I still haven't found out when baked beans became a breakfast staple but I do have several recipes for them!

I always fancied trying chipped beef on toast for breakfast, never got around to it.

When I used to get to Wiesbaden and Stuttgart the breakfast's were always humungous: Hash browns, [flat] sossidge, bacon, egg, beans, tomato's.

You’re missing nothing. It’s the USN version of Range Stew which might not sound that bad but trust me. It is.
Foreskins On Toast.

I suspect that spices were more expensive than meat back then but it also reinforces the view that yanks are pussies at curries
We didnt eat curries because we had nothing to do with india Then. IIRC we had exactly 1 Doughboy who was Indian (Sikh) AFAIK still not popular here in the USA

Bhagat Thind Singh
Bhagat Singh Thind - Wikipedia

My own observation was that G.I. Messhall fare was deliberately mild and that you added your own seasonings to spice it up. A Buddy who was a Baker told me they had to do it that way because some people can't eat heavily spiced food. Myself, I cannot stand Tabasaco or Hot Sauce, but love red pepper flakes added

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Oddly enough and no surprises it's almost identical to sloppy Joe's which is shit on a burger bun, even the cousins recycle evening meals for breakfast where as our unused sausages ended up in the evening Nasi Goreng!