The U.S. Army Cook’s Manual

The U.S. Army Cook’s Manual

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Auld-Yin submitted a new resource:

The U.S. Army Cook’s Manual - The iorganisation of catering in the US Army at the turn of the 19th/20th Century.

This is one of the quirky books that turn up from time to time and it is one that has fascinating bits, both historical and culinary. The editor, R Sheppard has brought together the Manual but has added some historical facts giving the context for changes. For instance, early in the 20th Century, the US was expanding over the Pacific and although they claimed not to be building colonies did exactly that in places like the Philippines. This brought about a new climate for cooks to work in...
Read more about this resource...

ugly

LE
Did they have baked beans for breakfast?

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
For some reason Black Metallic doesn't like my post, I'm not whinging, it wasn't trivial but a long running research into when Baked beans became breakfast food in the UK and if the Army of WW1 started it!
Never mind!

For some reason Black Metallic doesn't like my post, I'm not whinging, it wasn't trivial but a long running research into when Baked beans became breakfast food in the UK and if the Army of WW1 started it!
Never mind!
I rated your post as old because I used to laugh at the thread dedicated to beans for breakfast. I may reread that thread again if I can find it

ugly

LE
I rated your post as old because I used to laugh at the thread dedicated to beans for breakfast. I may reread that thread again if I can find it
That was supposed to be a serious thread. It was however good fun. One day I will write to the Aldershot Concrete Company museum curator and ask him.

ugly

LE
Id love to find a WW1 era Macs Manual

There's a recipe for beef curry in there which states '20 bs of beef, one and a half ounces of curry powder...'

Either curry powder was red hot in those days or flavour wasn't an option.

ugly

LE
There's a recipe for beef curry in there which states '20 bs of beef, one and a half ounces of curry powder...'

Either curry powder was red hot in those days or flavour wasn't an option.
You should be aware that Curry is effectively gravy to hide the quality (or lack of) of the principle ingredient (fly blown road kill) and the way curry is eaten now is very different to how it was eaten 100 years ago.
A very good friend of mine (we served together) regaled a tale of his fathers service with 1 DCLI in interwar India and later.
He couldn't abide the smell of curry and as a result of his going into the bag in North Africa detested the Germans as well. He was a Jersey man and arriving home to find the family farm turned into a concrete bomb shelter was probably the last straw. He detested Indians and Germans almost as much as those frenchies (People in Guernsey)!
His son wouldn't eat curry out of respect for his father. His dad said it was because they used it to mask the smell of meat that was past its fit for dogs stage!