The Two Minute Silence - Where were you?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remembrancetide draws to a close, 90 years after the end of the 'War to end all Wars' - What have we learnt?

Meanwhile our young men (and now women) are still being put in danger's way on behalf of us all. There will always be a need to Remember the Fallen. 1968 remains the only year since 1945 that a British serviceman hasn't died because of enemy action.

I'm really glad that the significance of Armistice Day proper has re-emerged on the national scene and more and more folk now observe it. In France the 11th is a National Holiday, so WE could do better.......

Where were you?

To kick off: I went to Salisbury Cathedral where 4 RIFLES were holding their Remembrance Service. Short and sharp. Good bugling. Very moving anthem called 'Na Tui Dau Loloma Ga' sung by a dozen or so soldiers of Pacific Island origin (Fiji?).

2. Standing in the local Churchyard at the memorial. Very pleasantly surprised by the fact I wasn't the only one, and there was a handsome variation in attenders. I also understand the local supermarkets went silent too. I know the Sikh newsagent over the road from the memorial closed shop for 5 minutes, well done him.
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Barker barracks, Paderborn.

Counting boxes. Yay.
  4. Oldbury Cenotaph. Met an old Engineer there. He was at 25 Engineer Regt at Roberts Barracks and I was at 23 at Quebec.
  5. At work at RAF ***** the Padre came on the station Tanoy 2 mins before gave a short speel then the usual at the going down of the sun followed by the 2 mins silence followed by a short prayer.

Was quite good almost all followed with the appropriate actions only 10 walked past my office window unaware of what was going on

It reallt feck up a AVM brief to an IPT
  6. Cenotaph, Whitehall.

Lots of dust in the air...
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

8. Standing outside my office with a mate.
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Lower Gornal (Dudley) the Legion was out and so was half theclocal primary school. The whole village pretty much came to a stand still, for the two minutes silence.
  10. At Liverpool Street Station, at the very short, simple service held infront of the War Memorial to the men of the GER, on the Upper Deck. Last Post sounded and the whole station stopped. Wreaths laid by the RBL, BTP and Network Rail. A very dignified service.

Well done all.
  11. Was at the Parliament end of the Cenotaph.

Huge crowds, bright sunshine.

Alas, couldn't see the 3 old boys do their stuff, as poor viewing position.

3 ex SAS guys (one seemingly WW2 vintage) to my left slipped on their berets as the main bit started.

As the minister finished "we shall remember them", an old bloke in front yelled "we'll never forget" !

Saw an old lad with Burma Star Association gear on walk passed at the end. Would have love to have dragged him onto the Red Lion for a pint, but sadly concluded I'd already skived off work enough for one morning.
  12. Leading the Remembrance Service at my children's school, Service Dress and medals a-clanking (invited by the Headmistress to give a presentation, followed by a bit of Q&A with the kiddies).

I was a bit apprehensive, after the "ignorance of today's youth" piece on BBC News yesterday, but the pupils (aged 4 to 11) showed a very good knowledge of the reasons for remembrance. Well worth doing.
  13. Stood in my living room, watching Harry Patch refusing to let go of his wreath until the silence was over, well done Sir!
  14. My husband and I walked round the village to the War Memorial and were pleasantly surprised to find the vicar there ready to greet us and about half a dozen other locals. Sadly no traffic stopped but many did slow up.
  15. Dishforth - first Remembrance day I've been on a military establishment for, was very moving.