The two largest ever black holes detected.

Two ten-billion solar mass galactic super-massive black holes are discovered. One in NGC3842, a galaxy in the direction of the Leo constellation, the other in NGC 2889, in the direction of Coma Berenices, both somewhat over 300 million light years away.

Both of these are 50% larger, at least, than the previous largest known, the black hole at the centre of M87 and thousands of times heavier than the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. The event horizons are calculated to be 200 times the radius of the orbit of Earth - 5 times further than the orbit even of Pluto. Or about 20 billion miles - roughly twice as far as Voyager 1 is now from the Sun.

Nature paper here.

There's one just outside Slough. Huge it is.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
You people have never strolled down Shields Road in Byker. Have you?

M

Mark The Convict

'NGC 3842' and 'NGC 2889' are rather dull names. How about 'Ciggie' and 'Dashing Chap'?

Reminds of a bird I knew in Belize.

Black holes? Well are they holes or not Iddy baby?
It's a name dating back to the 1960s (although the first prediction of them was actually in 1783). Neither black nor hole are correct aspects of the description of the physical objects.

It's a name dating back to the 1960s (although the first prediction of them was actually in 1783). Neither black nor hole are correct aspects of the description of the physical objects.
Ok... but what is a hole anyway, all holes contain something?

And a singularity at the centre cannot possibly be a wormhole then?

Ok... but what is a hole anyway, all holes contain something?
Do they? A hole in the road contains air. A similar hole on the moon contains what? A pretty hard vacuum - which is as close as we can get to "nothing"/

And a singularity at the centre cannot possibly be a wormhole then?
It is possible that you are a gorgeous blond bimbette. Pretty damn unlikely, though.

Nobody knows what a singularity is - the mathematical solutions, in general relativity, is correct but the result is meaningless. Therefore the equations are wrong - incorrect or incomplete, perhaps. "Quantum gravity", or whatever we get as a GUT may (probably, 'ought to') provide us with a better solution. However, unless we get a naked singularity (possible at according to Choptuik) we're never going to be able to observe one.

Still struggling to define your "extra dimensions"?

Do they? A hole in the road contains air. A similar hole on the moon contains what? A pretty hard vacuum - which is as close as we can get to "nothing"/

It is possible that you are a gorgeous blond bimbette. Pretty damn unlikely, though.

Nobody knows what a singularity is - the mathematical solutions, in general relativity, is correct but the result is meaningless. Therefore the equations are wrong - incorrect or incomplete, perhaps. "Quantum gravity", or whatever we get as a GUT may (probably, 'ought to') provide us with a better solution. However, unless we get a naked singularity (possible at according to Choptuik) we're never going to be able to observe one.

Still struggling to define your "extra dimensions"?
I like chips.

I'm puzzled about black holes. We all know that things spin faster as they get smaller, so it stands to reason that a collapsing star will spin faster & faster as it gets smaller.

The thing is, how can a singularity with no volume spin? Does it become a two dimensional disc ending at the event horizon?

Does 'Spin' become meaningless?

It bloody puzzles me how something can be there, but not there. I guess it must have been squirted into another dimension that we know nothing of, but it teases us with a gravitational calling card.

I'm puzzled about black holes. We all know that things spin faster as they get smaller, so it stands to reason that a collapsing star will spin faster & faster as it gets smaller.
Hence we get pulsars from neutron stars and blazars from black holes.

The thing is, how can a singularity with no volume spin? Does it become a two dimensional disc ending at the event horizon?
No, the mass continues to spin, although you get gravitational frame dragging as the rotational speed at the event horizon gets to a significant fraction of the speed of light.

The singularity remains a point object.

Does 'Spin' become meaningless?
Nope

I guess it must have been squirted into another dimension that we know nothing of, but it teases us with a gravitational calling card.
Oh, dear. Higgsy's delusions are contagious. It's a pity.