The Truth Behind The Movie..

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Rocketeer, Jan 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. and a good cause in itself..

http://www.thegreatescapememorialproject.com

Even though the film is a good'un as war films go, its so full of crap historically that it makes what really happened all that more unbelievable... No matter how good Steve McQueen was on a motorbike even he couldn't have 'escaped' through three feet of snow in mid-winter...

Collected more than a few dollars in a bar in Buffalo when I ' proved' that there were no Americans in Stalag Luft III to escape, even if they wanted to..another Hollywood ' rewrite ' of history...

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Read 'Behind the Wire' by William Ash. (ISBN0-593-05408-3 Bantham Press)
    The REAL story of a RCAF Spitfire pilot,shot down in 1942 over Pas De Calais. He escaped over 12 times & was the original 'cooler king'.
    This book is'nt fiction but a account of his time as a POW.

3. "The Last Escape" by John Nichol and Tony Rennell

The untold story of Allied prisoners of war in Germany 1944-45.

4. Just to give 't'other side their due..should read about the exploits of Oberleutnant Franz Von Warra, German prisoner of war in Canada. Escaped from a prison train in Smith Falls, Ontario and made it all the way back to Europe.. Only man ever to do that..quite the bit of determined effort...

Imagine the boys in the pub in Berlin being told that story by ol' Franz...bet he fot a German equivilent of " Walt " for that story quite a bit...

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Was'nt that made into a film ? AND for the life of me,I can't remember it's name!
    Spike

6. Hardy Kruger starring:

"The One That Got Away"

7. Made it all the way home and then went and put a fw190 into the drink and that was the end of him . least he might have helped
    allied pows get better treatment as he supposedly after seeing how the germans kept our guys said the brits treated the germans better .

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cheers for that.It was bugging me!

9. Read the book by Paul Brickhill.
    My grandfather was in stalugluft III, and although I know the film is bollocks, I still love it.
    'Danny' was a made up character, the real tunnel king being an engineer called Wally Floody. No americans.
    However what is true, is that all the escapees were killed except the 3 that made it home.

10. In fairness, those Septics present had been involved but were all moved to a camp of their own 2-3 months before the break. However, massive play-up by Hollywood of their rôle in the affair.

11. Not a british escape but check out the distance he E and E'd over 14,000km! On leaving for the eastern front he promised to get home for christmas. Good man never specified which one though.

http://www.soweitdiefuessetragen.de/frameset.shtml

SYNOPSIS AS FAR AS MY FEET WILL CARRY ME

Never, ever, underestimate the sheer power of the human spirit and the force of will when it is inspired by love. That`s the message of AS FAR AS MY FEET WILL CARRY ME.

Based on Josef Martin Bauer`s novel, this true story is the incredible journey undertaken by German soldier Clemens Forell in his dramatic escape from a Siberian labour camp.

Set against a backdrop of desolate and inhospitable landscape, beset by danger (from both animals and humans), constantly battling the worst nature can throw at him, Forell makes his way, step by step, kilometre by kilometre, towards Persia and the longed-for freedom.

Three years it takes him. Sometimes riding on trains, sometimes by boat, mostly on foot, he covers more than 14,000 kilometres, knowing that every step brings him closer to his goal but never knowing if his next step will also be his last.

In December, 1952, eight years after he left his family and was sent to fight on the Russian front in a war that was already lost, Forell was finally reunited with his wife and children.

12. Similar to the one by Slavomir Rawicz, a Pole who escaped from Siberia and ended up in India a couple of years later having crossed the Gobi and the Himalayas, and picked up a bird on the way. He wrote a great book about it called The Long Walk.

13. The Imperial War Museum is showing a fantastic exhibition at he moment about the Great Escape the Wooden horse and Colditz.Well worth a visit.

14. re great escape, i am sure there were 20 odd who werent killed and wre returned to sl3. there had been yanks in the camp but they were moved well prior to the escape.

at the beginning of ice cold in alex the voiceover claimsd it is a true story, does anyone have anything to back this up. i presumed the book it was based on (i read some time ago) was a noovel

15. I thought Ulirich Hilper was the one that got away. You learn something new every day.