The truth at last - You all love Liverpool FC

Is that the record points tally gone then....
No. Record is 100. Liverpool can still get 102, but they have to beat Arsenal (away), Chelsea (Home) Newcastle (Away).

Chelsea are fighting for a CL spot, Arsenal for a Europa spot. I suspect Liverpool players are trying to avoid getting injured and are treating these games more like friendlies.

There is a rule though that a team can’t be champions if they lose to Newcastle.

No. Record is 100. Liverpool can still get 102, but they have to beat Arsenal (away), Chelsea (Home) Newcastle (Away).

Chelsea are fighting for a CL spot, Arsenal for a Europa spot. I suspect Liverpool players are trying to avoid getting injured and are treating these games more like friendlies.

There is a rule though that a team can’t be champions if they lose to Newcastle.
Hmm, so we have to turn the trophy in if we lose to Toon?

Like shite we do :)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

That was my feeling watching the game too plus, by any measure, if they decide to furl their sails for this season, they've earned the right to. There's nothing left worth missing the start of next season for.

Im talking about your sense of humour. It’s amiss.
You must be a fvcking riot on the piss :)

Actually I’m pissed that Toon couldn’t beat fvcking Watford. My second team is now condemned to relegation, most likely. 6 points adrift, but it was a good run. I don’t see Bournemouth as a natural Premiership team, but it was good while it lasted. Eddie will be at the Emirates or Spurs in a couple years. Great lad.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Eddie will be at the Emirates or Spurs in a couple years. Great lad.
According to a The Athletic article about Michael Edwards, the final three candidates for the LFC job were Klopp, Ancellotti and Eddie Howe. It's behind a paywall but here's the relevant excerpt:

"As Jurgen Klopp flashed that considerable smile, champagne bottles were uncorked and Kenny Dalglish’s phone started bleeping with text messages while he was trying to conduct a live television interview, it could feel like a trick of the imagination that Liverpool gave serious consideration to hiring Eddie Howe rather than the German who, according to Steven Gerrard, now deserves a statue outside Anfield.

Howe was on a three-man shortlist with Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti for the manager’s position and it was part of Edwards’ job, then as Liverpool’s technical director, to determine who had the outstanding credentials to replace Brendan Rodgers.

Ancelotti, who now finds himself on the other side of Stanley Park with Everton, passed all the criteria in terms of his record in the Champions League and the statistics relating to his teams at clubs including Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid. But his transfer record counted against him because the check system devised by Edwards and Liverpool’s analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager’s recruitment in his first year.

Their theory was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager’s influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

A lot of Ancelotti’s recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool’s thinking. Edwards and the hierarchy wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

Howe’s reputation at Bournemouth was for developing younger players and playing attractive football and, though his stock might have fallen recently, this was a time when he was considered for lots of elite jobs and being acclaimed as a future England manager.

He had also been a player at Portsmouth when Edwards was working there at the start of the century but their friendship never came into it because, if there is one thing to know about the current Liverpool regime, it is that they do not let sentimentality influence their decision-making.

Howe did not have the experience of competing in the Champions League whereas Klopp ticked every box in terms of achievement, transfer business and playing style. Edwards made his recommendation to Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), and left them to get on with the business of making it happen.

According to a The Athletic article about Michael Edwards, the final three candidates for the LFC job were Klopp, Ancellotti and Eddie Howe. It's behind a paywall but here's the relevant excerpt:

"As Jurgen Klopp flashed that considerable smile, champagne bottles were uncorked and Kenny Dalglish’s phone started bleeping with text messages while he was trying to conduct a live television interview, it could feel like a trick of the imagination that Liverpool gave serious consideration to hiring Eddie Howe rather than the German who, according to Steven Gerrard, now deserves a statue outside Anfield.

Howe was on a three-man shortlist with Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti for the manager’s position and it was part of Edwards’ job, then as Liverpool’s technical director, to determine who had the outstanding credentials to replace Brendan Rodgers.

Ancelotti, who now finds himself on the other side of Stanley Park with Everton, passed all the criteria in terms of his record in the Champions League and the statistics relating to his teams at clubs including Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid. But his transfer record counted against him because the check system devised by Edwards and Liverpool’s analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager’s recruitment in his first year.

Their theory was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager’s influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

A lot of Ancelotti’s recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool’s thinking. Edwards and the hierarchy wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

Howe’s reputation at Bournemouth was for developing younger players and playing attractive football and, though his stock might have fallen recently, this was a time when he was considered for lots of elite jobs and being acclaimed as a future England manager.

He had also been a player at Portsmouth when Edwards was working there at the start of the century but their friendship never came into it because, if there is one thing to know about the current Liverpool regime, it is that they do not let sentimentality influence their decision-making.

Howe did not have the experience of competing in the Champions League whereas Klopp ticked every box in terms of achievement, transfer business and playing style. Edwards made his recommendation to Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), and left them to get on with the business of making it happen.
Like @dingerr’s rule about losing to Toon, I believe it is ordained that one Stevie G will be the future manager. Jürgen will stay long enough until Stevie is ready. Perhaps Stevie will come in a year before Jürgen goes home and understudy for a bit. Much as I like Eddie, he’s not going to get a look-in at Anfield.

If JK gives it this contract and maybe a 1-or-2 yr extension, Stevie will come in in his early 40s. 20 years of domination please.

Yeah, I know :)

RBMK

War Hero
Klopp has earned legend status.

Plus the few people I know who have met him say he is an absolute top bloke.

Oops

War Hero
I thought they were 'on it ' for a significant part of the game, if England's best goalkeeper didn't play a blinder they could've been half a dozen up before Burnley did exactly what Dyche sets em up to do..
Create and score an odd chance after soaking up massive amounts of pressure.
They would be going home thinking they maybe shoulda won it with that strike that hit the bar late on...
I might have got my analysis wrong, it's bloody difficult watching the footy on your phone, the test match on a tablet with TMS commentary coming from the telly....
Who says men can't multitask!

Had their been anything on that game, I would have said the officials had a shocker

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Great win by the mighty gunners tonight.
Well this Liverpool team are no longer to be mentioned in the same breath as true PL greats.
While they still had the potential to beat the points record they had a shout f being amongst them.
Now however its back to between the Bitters and their oil money of the last two years, Arsenal invincibles, and of course MANCHESTER UNITED 1999 treble winners.
Of course there is no doubting that Utd‘s treble winning side was the best of all time in the modern game.

Last edited:

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Great win by the mighty gunners tonight.
Well this Liverpool team are no longer to be mentioned in the same breath as true PL greats.
While they still had the potential to beat the points record they had a shout f being amongst them.
No however its back to between the Bitters and their oil money of the last two years, Arsenal invincibles, and of course MANCHESTER UNITED 1999 treble winners.
Of course there is no doubting that Utd‘s treble winning side was the best of all time in the modern game.
With your current PPG, Man Utd would need to play 57 games to reach where we are after 36.

Just saying.

Although obviously I have nothing but the deepest respect for your objective, non-partisan appraisal of where this LFC team sits in recent history. ;)

You know, the team who secured the league with the most games remaining.

The team who, due to City's less than perfect comeback, could literally have stayed on holiday after COVID-19 lockdown and still won the league without kicking a ball. Whereas your lot haven't even mathematically secured a place in the Europa League with two games to go :)

RBMK

War Hero
The team who, due to City's less than perfect comeback, could literally have stayed on holiday after COVID-19 lockdown and still won the league without kicking a ball. Whereas your lot haven't even mathematically secured a place in the Europa League with two games to go :)
We can but hope ....

... that they don't

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
With your current PPG, Man Utd would need to play 57 games to reach where we are after 36.

Just saying.

Although obviously I have nothing but the deepest respect for your objective, non-partisan appraisal of where this LFC team sits in recent history. ;)

You know, the team who secured the league with the most games remaining.

And at the end of the day the only thing people will remember about this season is
COVID. It’s a bit like when City last one the old First Division, no one remembers because Utd went and won the European Cup.
I still can not understand why Klipperty chose to bail out of The FA Cup so early, you lot certainly missed a golden opportunity to win a a domestic double.
As it is you have won the league, only one more to go and you will have caught UTD.

And at the end of the day the only thing people will remember about this season is
COVID. It’s a bit like when City last one the old First Division, no one remembers because Utd went and won the European Cup.
I still can not understand why Klipperty chose to bail out of The FA Cup so early, you lot certainly missed a golden opportunity to win a a domestic double.
As it is you have won the league, only one more to go and you will have caught UTD.
Only 2 more to go and the combined six clubs above will have matched LFC ^~

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve missed a bit of our football banter :biggrin:

Latest Threads