The truth at last - You all love Liverpool FC

If the reports are true that LFC are taking tax payers money to pay their non playing staff, it's beyond embarrassing is it not @CAARPS @MrShanklysboots ?
Sorry I am late, I missed it in all the noise.

In my opinion shameful, a complete own goal and hopefully the owners will reverse their decision, like with stadium prices (but I won’t hold my breath).

But it’s really interesting, once again, that all the staunch capitalists always espouse market forces and supply and demand etc except when it comes to footballers earning millions.

It’s almost as if the ”how dare those council estate oiks be allowed to earn more than me” jealousy eats away at them :)

Oh well ^~

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry I am late, I missed it in all the noise.

In my opinion shameful, a complete own goal and hopefully the owners will reverse their decision, like with stadium prices (but I won’t hold my breath).

But it’s really interesting, once again, that all the staunch capitalists always espouse market forces and supply and demand etc except when it comes to footballers earning millions.

It’s almost as if the ”how dare those council estate oiks be allowed to earn more than me” jealousy eats away at them :)

Oh well ^~
It's hugely disappointing that the owners have so misunderstood the club, what it represents and what's been built in the Klopp era, that they commit a blunder like this. You said 'shameful' and that's exactly the word.

On your other point, I don't think there's an objection to people earning millions, simply the view that people and organisations earning millions shouldn't be gaming the system and taking advantage of charity and emergency measures designed to alleviate real hardship.

Liverpool FC is the fat b@stard at the food bank and that's going to take a lot of living down.

That’s football though isn’t it. The owners mostly see it as a business and a money maker. The players as a very lucrative job, they may love the sport but true love of the club is dubious and the money makes a good relationship. Last is the fans who really love the sport and their club who get to foot the bill. No wonder different views are held.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s football though isn’t it. The owners mostly see it as a business and a money maker. The players as a very lucrative job, they may love the sport but true love of the club is dubious and the money makes a good relationship. Last is the fans who really love the sport and their club who get to foot the bill. No wonder different views are held.
Except that the first rule of any business is to understand your appeal and your brand and to do everything in your power to protect them.

If ever there was an example of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, this is it.

Except that the first rule of any business is to understand your appeal and your brand and to do everything in your power to protect them.

If ever there was an example of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, this is it.
Do you really think it makes any difference? When the season starts again will there be swathes of supporters not going to Anfield because of this. Liverpool’s appeal is exciting football a passion to win, their brand is borne off the back of this.

No one will care that the club took a bit of cash from the government when it wasn’t able to generate it itself.

The optics may not look good, but it really isn’t important in the long term.

Do you really think it makes any difference? When the season starts again will there be swathes of supporters not going to Anfield because of this. Liverpool’s appeal is exciting football a passion to win, their brand is borne off the back of this.

No one will care that the club took a bit of cash from the government when it wasn’t able to generate it itself.

This aged well.

Decision reversed due to the backlash from the support, MPs, the Metro Mayor, the City Mayor and others with whom they've had much "valued dialogue".

Right decision. Made up. They're still furloughing staff but have found alternative ways of funding it.

This aged well.

Decision reversed due to the backlash from the support, MPs, the Metro Mayor, the City Mayor and others with whom they've had much "valued dialogue".

Right decision. Made up. They're still furloughing staff but have found alternative ways of funding it.
I’m not making the argument because I think it’s a good idea, I’m trying to understand why it’s been made in the first place and that angst now doesn’t translate when LFC carries on normal jogging.

Do you think players should accept a 30% pay cut?

Never sat right,glad decision has been reversed.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

I agree and I don't think it'll affect attendance but the idea of 'This means more' was aspirational and this decision has chopped that aspiration off at the knees. We're 100% on the wrong side of the argument and I don't think we're going to be allowed to forget this. The normal suspects are going to pile in and they'll be right on this one.

Edited to add: Just seen the developments. Glad that we've done the right thing eventually, sad that we had to blast a foot off before seeing sense..

I’m not making the argument because I think it’s a good idea, I’m trying to understand why it’s been made in the first place and that angst now doesn’t translate when LFC carries on normal jogging.

While they have 43 million profit from last year sat in their back bin they shouldn't have been asking for a penny. Thats the main argument here.

Who'd have thought it. Scousers being against a Government hand out.

Do you think players should accept a 30% pay cut?
I personally think players should accept a 30% wage cut when all others on similar wages do the same, other sports people, politicians (on all their business interest), leaders of industry, bankers etc.

Footballers have become an easy target, by others who probably have similar incomes to the vast majority of footballers.

We take significant amounts of tax from footballers and most of them do sh*t loads for charity and their community. We could alienate that good will in the long term for what amounts to 30% for a few months.

A footballer has a very short career, they get paid the market rate, if people thought it was too much they wouldn’t feed the beast.

Unfortunately for footballers, the media machine has got their teeth into this issue, so it will probably happen anyway.

As an aside, the vast majority of HM Forces are sat at home at the moment doing nothing. Should they take a similar pay cut?

I agree and I don't think it'll affect attendance but the idea of 'This means more' was aspirational and this decision has chopped that aspiration off at the knees. We're 100% on the wrong side of the argument and I don't think we're going to be allowed to forget this. The normal suspects are going to pile in and they'll be right on this one.

Edited to add: Just seen the developments. Glad that we've done the right thing eventually, sad that we had to blast a foot off before seeing sense..
Then the damage is already done, even though the decision was reversed.

While they have 43 million profit from last year sat in their back bin they shouldn't have been asking for a penny. Thats the main argument here.

Who'd have thought it. Scousers being against a Government hand out.
I don’t disagree, I’m just trying to look at it as a business decision.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
You made a mistake and were big enough to apologise.

Now if you would just apologise for:
Heysel,
Hacking City
Their despicable fans
The coach attack
The attack on the Bulgarian waiter
The attack on the ambulance carrying the injured United player
Racism by Suarez
Etc etc etc.

Noticed you've kept this little bit of info quiet though.....

Liverpool has refused to return the money paid to the 290 AtleticoFans who felt they should not travel to Liverpool due to Covid.

(Away ticket money go to the home team).

Atleti has covered the costs for those 290 fans.
Would you mind, awfully, facking off to another thread? There's a good chap.