The truth at last - You all love Liverpool FC

It now seems Liverpool need to do Man Utd a favour by beating Chelsea and Man Utd need to do Liverpool a favour by beating Man City.

A strange season.
Fortunately, most teams involved n title race and CL qualification obviously still have something to play for and therefore no one just strolling through games.

Interesting games coming up and I will admit that I am hoping that the target of trying to get all the remaining competitions won will prove too much of a stretch for City and that Spurs will now be able to turn them over in the League as think they have a better chance and play better footy with Son in the team.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Luis Suarez just scored against United

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
We know that, we’re watching it!:cry:
Chris Smalling just slapped Messi and got away with it. Keep that up and we might get back into it,:bounce: only joking, this is going to be embarrassing tonight and fun for you lot.

We know that, we’re watching it!:cry:
Chris Smalling just slapped Messi and got away with it. Keep that up and we might get back into it,:bounce: only joking, this is going to be embarrassing tonight and fun for you lot.
I'm actually going to be disappointed if you lose. I'd like the chance for a Liverpool v United bout as far down the later stages as is possible. Be a great show.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm actually going to be disappointed if you lose. I'd like the chance for a Liverpool v United bout as far down the later stages as is possible. Be a great show.
It would be but alas I fear not.
We really have fallen miles behind in the last five years.
This summer has to be very big, and I’m more interested and hopeful as to who is leaving rather than who we are signing. Woodward needs to move over from anything connected to players be that signing them or anything to do with contracts, I mean just look at Jones ffs, that sums us up when one of the so called biggest clubs in the world gives a player like Jones a big new contract. I could fecking cry I really could.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Tommy Smith has died aged 74, RIP to the Anfield Iron. :(
Tommy Smith: Liverpool great dies, aged 74
When football was football.
I must admit to watching him and wishing we had someone similar, we did have in the sixties Nobby Stiles.
I suppose those two wouldn’t last five minutes on the pitch today but it was a much more entertaining game in those days.
Proper hard tackles no faining injury a proper sport with proper men.
RIP.

Tommy Smith’s death, aged just 74, is very sad news. I remember him as a rock in the Liverpool defence when I was a youngster (17 ish to 22 ish). He plied his trade in a different era of course, in days when one could be hard and physical, but honest and within the rules.
We live in a different world now- and I’m sure he wouldn’t recognise the namby pamby nonsense that we now have to put up with.

So RIP Tommy, you were a great man. The world is a lesser place for your passing.

You'll have to forgive the slightly banal commentary and the appearance of one Vincent Jones significantly over-estimating his chances of survival in a battle with Tommy Smith, but this is a decent demonstration that TS was a pretty decent player as well as someone well able to ...er.... impose himself upon the opposition when required.

"Tommy doesn't tackle opponents so much as break them down for resale as scrap" Bill Shankly.

It's hilarious how a Welsh guy slags off people for being racist when in my experience, they're the biggest racists out there.

Tommy scored in a European Cup Final to win it.

Of course he was a decent toggerist.
Naturally - he'd not have got near that LFC side had he not been (nor survived the cull which saw St John et al moved on after the loss to...to... whoever it was which prompted Shankly to rebuild the team to ensure another, what, decade and a bit more success).

It was a damned good goal he scored in that final - I was only five when it happened, but it's one of about half-a-dozen goals pre-1980 that I remember vividly ( TS's goal; Keegan scoring for England against Brazil; Dalglish in the 78 EC final; Alan Sunderland's winner in the 1979 FA Cup final; Trevor Francis vs Malmo in 1979; Fashanu against Liverpool and one of Fairclough's - his third (?) - in the same match (the first hat-trick I recall seeing on MotD, if you ask, which you weren't. And I have a feeling the latter pair may have been in early 1980 rather than before)

Last edited:
It's weird the goals that stand out to you. There's one from the 80s I think that I couldn't tell you the scorer but I always remember Steve McMahon working like a man possessed to stop the ball going out for a throw in which he then drives on goal with and we score.

And the forgotten ones like Coates' worldie against QPR that no one thinks of as a great goal because we lost the match. But it was. It also proved the enough chimps/typewriter/ Shakespeare theory, if you give a bang average footballer enough game time he'll eventually produce a genuinely world class moment.