The truth at last - You all love Liverpool FC

Our next league match is against Aston Villa at Anfield next Saturday. If the question was put to Steven Gerrard, "If a win over Liverpool was to cost them the Premier League, would he be happy to see his team get beat?" What do you think the answer would be...

“I am the manager of Aston Villa, and I have a job to do. That job is to win as many games as we can. At the start of the season, all teams have the same opportunity to win the league. At the end of the season, the nineteen teams that fail to win the league, and the three that get relegated, have only themselves to blame for dropping points. It’s on them, not anyone else.“

ETA.
After ‘That’ night at Anfield, I started gobbing off we need to build a statue to Divock outside Anfield….

I got louder after Madrid , to the point of saying
Sod selling him, just keep him in a box , feed him and break the glass in case of emergency.

Jurgen broke the glass today!

What’s the betting Newcastle bid £ 50 M for him in January?

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
“I am the manager of Aston Villa, and I have a job to do. That job is to win as many games as we can. At the start of the season, all teams have the same opportunity to win the league. At the end of the season, the nineteen teams that fail to win the league, and the three that get relegated, have only themselves to blame for dropping points. It’s on them, not anyone else.“
I'm just glad we're not playing Villa on the last day of the season.

Yesterday felt a bit like that ‘Villa’ moment from a couple of seasons ago, or is that just wishful thinking :)

Mass walk out by Everton fans in the 27th minute in protest at the way the club is being run, after not winning a trophy for 27 years; failed to materialise. A handful walked out, some went for a pie, pint and a piss. Some commitment to the cause that..

Well much as it pains me to say this, that was a gutsy performance by Everton. Coming from behind to win 2:1 against Arsenal, especially after having two goals ruled out by VAR for offside.

At least one of Rafa's signings Demari Gray scored the winner. I'm pleased for Rafa and hope the fans get off his back and show a bit of solidarity.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Team for tonight:

Liverpool XI: Alisson, Williams, Konate, Phillips, Tsimikas, Morton, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Minamino, Salah, Origi, Mane.

Subs: Kelleher, Davies, Fabinho, Keita, Gomez, Robertson, Matip, Dixon-Bonner, Bradley, Alexander-Arnold, Norris, Woltman.

Our next league match is against Aston Villa at Anfield next Saturday. If the question was put to Steven Gerrard, "If a win over Liverpool was to cost them the Premier League, would he be happy to see his team get beat?" What do you think the answer would be...

He would say yes. His team now is Aston Villa and he’s a professional. He’ll always be a Liverpool legend.

I was surprised to see Salah and Mane starting, but not surprised that Klopp made eight changes and used a lot of youngsters.

However I was also surprised that Liverpool won this game, having assumed that eight changes in line-up and such use of fringe players and young players would produce a disjointed performance. It clearly didn’t. Liverpool supporters must be chuffed to bits with this result - along with six out of six in the group stage, and I would imagine that no-one else wants to see their club pulled out of the hat to play Liverpool in the next round.

And yes, that’s a great image. I haven’t a clue who they are, but I’m guessing they are two young academy graduates enjoying the night of their lives. What a great experience for them!

You guys must be hoping that Klopp will stay at Liverpool for a very long time.

He would say yes. His team now is Aston Villa and he’s a professional. He’ll always be a Liverpool legend.

Surely he’d say ‘no’?

If his team is Aston Villa and he’s a professional, then he wouldn’t be happy to see his team beat in order for Liverpool to win the league - unless you’re interpreting “his team” to be Liverpool - which it’s not, currently.

If he got sacked by Villa or resigned, and was out of the game, then I’d say his team would be, and will always be, Liverpool. But not presently.

Surely he’d say ‘no’?

If his team is Aston Villa and he’s a professional, then he wouldn’t be happy to see his team beat in order for Liverpool to win the league - unless you’re interpreting “his team” to be Liverpool - which it’s not, currently.

If he got sacked by Villa or resigned, and was out of the game, then I’d say his team would be, and will always be, Liverpool. But not presently.
Agreed. He would like to see Villa win, but not I think at the cost of his beloved Liverpool missing out on the title.

Agreed. He would like to see Villa win, but not I think at the cost of his beloved Liverpool missing out on the title.

I disagree - I think he’d want Villa to win because that’s his one and only job. He might be sad that Liverpool missed out on the league by three points or less, but that’d be a subsidiary consideration as long as he’s the manager of Aston Villa. The day that ceases to be true, he can put his red shirt back on and think “I’m home”.

I disagree - I think he’d want Villa to win because that’s his one and only job. He might be sad that Liverpool missed out on the league by three points or less, but that’d be a subsidiary consideration as long as he’s the manager of Aston Villa. The day that ceases to be true, he can put his red shirt back on and think “I’m home”.
He knows his slip in defence against Chelsea cost Liverpool and him his one and only chance of winning the Premier League while he was still a Liverpool player.

He wouldn't want to do that again. His time at Villa is temporary, his loyalty to Liverpool is forever. And IF he was ever to come back to Liverpool as our manager, I don't think he would want to be remembered as the person who cost us the title...twice.

He knows his slip in defence against Chelsea cost Liverpool and him his one and only chance of winning the Premier League while he was still a Liverpool player.

He wouldn't want to do that again. His time at Villa is temporary, his loyalty to Liverpool is forever. And IF he was ever to come back to Liverpool as our manager, I don't think he would want to be remembered as the person who cost us the title...twice.
What a load of over romanticised old pony.

He's being paid a kings ransom to manage Aston Villa to the absolute best of his ability. If that means taking three points off his "beloved" Liverpool he will do so without compunction regardless of the consequences for us.

Hes a professional being asked to do a job. If he laid down and took one for us he'd be out of the running for ever being Liverpool manager because we want flinty eyed professionals who only ever want their team to win.

We have had Dortmund at Anfield and Klopp took great delight in beating them. I would expect no less of Gerrard.

What a load of over romanticised old pony.

He's being paid a kings ransom to manage Aston Villa to the absolute best of his ability. If that means taking three points off his "beloved" Liverpool he will do so without compunction regardless of the consequences for us.

Hes a professional being asked to do a job. If he laid down and took one for us he'd be out of the running for ever being Liverpool manager because we want flinty eyed professionals who only ever want their team to win.

We have had Dortmund at Anfield and Klopp took great delight in beating them. I would expect no less of Gerrard.
I think you missed my point entirely. Obviously as a professional 'flinty eyed' winner he will be very pleased if his team take three points of us next Saturday. There is no way he or his Villa team will roll over, if we beat them, we will have to win it, not Villa to lose it.

Just saying that come the end of the season he would not be best pleased if those three points lost would have won us the Premier League title.

All assuming that his own team do well and finish in the top half of the league or better. But all of this is just hypothesis and will not matter one jot after we've beaten them. :cool:

I think you missed my point entirely. Obviously as a professional 'flinty eyed' winner he will be very pleased if his team take three points of us next Saturday. There is no way he or his Villa team will roll over, if we beat them, we will have to win it, not Villa to lose it.

Just saying that come the end of the season he would not be best pleased if those three points lost would have won us the Premier League title.

All assuming that his own team do well and finish in the top half of the league or better. But all of this is just hypothesis and will not matter one jot after we've beaten them. :cool:
Whereas David Moyes will be made up it was his three points that cost us. There's no science as to which win costed us, just the amassed totals at the end.

The only people who'll be arsed about dropped points is us and Pep.

Latest Threads