Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Trump Presidency...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he must have mis-spoke again.

'US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has been caught telling yet another whopper after claiming his father was born in Germany. 'During his recent visit to Europe, the 72-year-old insisted in an interview with CBS Newsthat both his parents originated from countries which now belong to the European Union. “Don’t forget both my parents were born in EU sectors, okay? I mean, my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany,” he said. “And you know I love those countries.”

'And he continued with the odd claim during a media conference following the NATO summit in the Belgian capital Brussels, saying: “I have great respect for Germany. My father is from Germany. “Both my parents are from the EU, despite the fact that they don’t treat us well on trade,” he said.

'There’s only one problem — his father Frederick Trump was actually born in The Bronx in New York City in 1905.'

Fake news: Trump claims his father was born in Germany. (He wasn’t)

Incorrect on both counts, though I'd agree completely if you'd said political apparatus.

'•In October 2002, Bush said that Saddam Hussein had a "massive stockpile" of biological weapons. But as CIA Director George Tenet noted in early 2004, the CIA had informed policymakers it had "no specific information on the types or quantities of weapons agent or stockpiles at Baghdad's disposal." The "massive stockpile" was just literally made up.
•In December 2002, Bush declared, "We do not know whether or not [Iraq] has a nuclear weapon." That was not what the National Intelligence Estimate said. As Tenet would later testify, "We said that Saddam did not have a nuclear weapon and probably would have been unable to make one until 2007 to 2009." Bush did know whether or not Iraq had a nuclear weapon — and lied and said he didn’t know to hype the threat.
•On CNN in September 2002, Condoleezza Rice claimed that aluminum tubes purchased by Iraq were "only really suited for nuclear weapons programs." This was precisely the opposite of what nuclear experts at the Energy Department were saying; they argue that not only was it very possible the tubes were for nonnuclear purposes but that it was very likely they were too. Even more dire assessments about the tubes from other agencies were exaggerated by administration officials — and in any case, the claim that they’re "only really suited" for nuclear weapons is just false.
•On numerous occasions, Dick Cheney cited a report that 9/11 conspirator Mohammed Atta had met in Prague with an Iraqi intelligence officer. He said this after the CIA and FBI concluded that this meeting never took place.
•More generally on the question of Iraq and al-Qaeda, on September 18, 2001, Rice received a memo summarizing intelligence on the relationship, which concluded there was little evidence of links. Nonetheless Bush continued to claim that Hussein was "a threat because he’s dealing with al-Qaeda" more than a year later.
•In August 2002, Dick Cheney declared, "Simply stated, there's no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction." But as Corn notes, at that time there was "no confirmed intelligence at this point establishing that Saddam had revived a major WMD operation." Gen. Anthony Zinni, who had heard the same intelligence and attended Cheney’s speech, would later say in a documentary, "It was a total shock. I couldn't believe the vice president was saying this, you know? In doing work with the CIA on Iraq WMD, through all the briefings I heard at Langley, I never saw one piece of credible evidence that there was an ongoing program." '

No, really, George W. Bush lied about WMDs

Rewriting history - here’s what they actually said at the time

301578A4-E71E-454C-B12F-5A39FEAC1FE5.png

Thanks for that: I can't access SCRIBD from here. Someone's definitely been telling porkys then! George Tenet, the Director of Central Intelligence, under who's authority the report was approved, are backed up by what I cited however, the report itself is certainly open to interpretation/qualification - 'if left unchecked, it probably', 'denial and deceptive efforts', 'in view of most agencies' .

Last edited:
A good summary overview of post Helsink reaction from Foreign Policy (a US geopolitical commentary site). Foreign Policy – the Global Magazine of News and Ideas

Welcome to Editors’ Picks, FP’s daily round-up.
It’s becoming increasingly clear that the Helsinki summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin was historic and consequential—just like other summits in Helsinki—but this time, for all the wrong reasons. Trump publicly rejected the findings of his own intelligence agencies in favor of Putin’s denials of Russian involvement in the 2016 U.S. elections. That sparked a wave of bipartisan rage in the U.S., as well as stern rebukes from America’s national security establishment. An attempt to correct what he said—at one point claiming he meant to say “wouldn’t” instead of “would”—was widely seen as unconvincing. And then on Wednesday, Trump told CBS News that he was tough on Putin—“I left him know we can’t have this”—even though that contradicted his own description of the Helsinki meeting just two days ago.
How to make sense of it all, and what happens next? Here are today’s offerings in Foreign Policy.
1. The spineless: The only people who can stop his sucking up to Russia have lost all their credibility, FP's Stephen Walt writes. Read more
2. America last: Signs that Trump’s “America first” policy could harm U.S. businesses and curb the United States’ clout around the world surfaced this week in an unexpected place, FP's Lara Seligman reports. Read more
3. Shameful Silence: The department prepared to criticize Russia’s role in the 2014 downing of a civilian airliner over Ukraine, but the statement was never released, FP's Robbie Gramer and Amy Mackinnon report. Read more
4. Tarnished Legacy: Trump’s summit with Putin risks tarnishing a legacy of Republican moral leadership on human rights, Suzanne Nossel writes. Read more
5. Trump on Putin: A history of contradictory statements from 2015 to the present, by FP's Amy Cheng and Humza Jilani Read more

Oh come on, that's close to just shouting "Got Mitt Uns" or "God Save the Queen".

You can always rely on patriotism to blind people to awkward facts. We had Mrs May here say she wanted a "red, white and blue Brexit". Well, I know what colours are on the Union Flag, thanks; but what the hell does that mean.

And as for the biggest boy on the block, I repeatedly use Judo as a metaphor for a reason. One Putin is very fond of it, and it demonstrates a mind set and dedication I see lack in in the undisciplined bag of spray tanned lard sitting in the White House.

Two, when I started playing judo nearly every bloke at my club was bigger than me (one was a tree surgeon, built like a brick outhouse). But I learned skill can still up-end them, and you know what; their carotid artery is still softer than my radial or ulna bones in my wrists. Stick a hada jime strangle on someone, they've about 45 second of blood to the brain left. Don't matter how big, I could cling on like an aggressive limpit.

A sensible adversary does not fight on your own turf. Check out the Russian new generation warfare doctrine, they don't do anything without extensive shaping of the ground. Which for the political struggle, is what I suggest is happening here.

230 grains of jhp will take you down even faster brother.

You forget that it’s almost exactly what Georgia did a few years ago, arguably in the belief that NATO would step in.

Not many saints, and an awful lot of sinners associated with 2008.

'During the NATO summit in Bucharest in April 2008, American president George W. Bush lobbied for offering a Membership Action Plan (MAP) to Georgia and Ukraine. However, Germany and France said that offering MAP to Ukraine and Georgia would be "an unnecessary offence" to Russia.[86] NATO stated that Ukraine and Georgia would become members of the alliance and pledged to review the applications for MAP in December 2008. Russian President Vladimir Putin was in Bucharest during the summit. At the end of the summit on 4 April, Putin said that expansion of NATO to Russia's borders "would be taken in Russia as a direct threat to the security of our country". After the Bucharest summit, Russia became more aggressive and began to actively prepare for the invasion of Georgia. Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Yuri Baluyevsky said on 11 April that Russia would take "steps of a different nature" in addition to military action to prevent NATO membership of former Soviet republics. General Baluyevsky admitted in 2012 that when the decision to attack Georgia was taken by President Putin before Dmitry Medvedev assumed the office of president of Russia in May 2008, a military action was planned and explicit orders were issued in advance before August 2008. Russia aimed to stop Georgia's accession to NATO and also to bring about a "regime change".'

Russo-Georgian War - Wikipedia

And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously.

To be quite frank many of you are already pretty set in your ways and beliefs. Nothing is going to change that and I will always be foreigner dealing with people who don’t have a clue about America.

To be quite frank many of you are already pretty set in your ways and beliefs. Nothing is going to change that and I will always be foreigner dealing with people who don’t have a clue about America.
Except of course we do, we just don't wear blinkers. I know it's hard to accept but your glorious leader just let Putin wipe his arse with your flag in public, and all you do is defend it.

Except of course we do, we just don't wear blinkers. I know it's hard to accept but your glorious leader just let Putin wipe his arse with your flag in public, and all you do is defend it.

I don’t recall having defended his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.