The Trump Presidency...

Because he's no idea how international relations really work and is as seriously out of his depth as a toddler trying to explain, in detail, the theory of relativity?
Or perhaps because it’s #fakenews and he never called them enemies at all?

Here’s the actual transcript:

JEFF GLOR: Who is your biggest competitor? Your biggest foe globally right now?

(Note this bit, the “foe” bit is a proposition from the question, allied to competition rather than conflict/enemies)

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well I think we have a lot of foes. I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now you wouldn't think of the European Union but they're a foe. Russia is foe in certain respects. China is a foe economically, certainly they are a foe. But that doesn't mean they are bad. It doesn't mean anything. It means that they are competitive. They want to do well and we want to do well. And we're starting to do well. You see what's going on we have best unemployment numbers probably that we've ever had. Black unemployment is the lowest level in history. Hispanic unemployment the lowest level in history, Jeff. Women unemployment lowest in 66 years. Our numbers are great. Our GDP numbers are far greater than what they thought.

JEFF GLOR: A lot of people might be surprised to hear you list the EU as a foe before China and Russia?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: No I look at them all look, EU is very difficult. I-I want to tell you. Maybe the thing that is most difficult -- don't forget both my parents were born in EU sectors okay? I mean my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany. And -- you know I love those countries. I respect the leaders of those countries. But -- in a trade sense, they've really taken advantage of us and many of those countries are in NATO and they weren't paying their bills and, you know, as an example a big problem with Germany. Because Germany made a pipeline deal with Russia. Where they're going to be paying Russia billions and billions of dollars a year for energy and I say that's not good, that's not fair. You're supposed to be fighting for someone and then that someone gives billions of dollars to the one you're, you know, guarding against, I think it's ridiculous so I let that be known also this time. I'll tell you what, there's a lot of anger at the fact that Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars. There's a lot of anger. I also think it's a very bad thing for Germany. Because it's like -- what are they waving a white flag?

'my father was Germany. And -- you know I love those countries. I respect the leaders of those countries.'

The press conference with Putin should be a hoot!

(Note this bit, the “foe” bit is a proposition from the question, allied to competition rather than conflict/enemies)

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well I think we have a lot of foes. I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now you wouldn't think of the European Union but they're a foe. Russia is foe in certain respects. China is a foe economically, certainly they are a foe. But that doesn't mean they are bad. It doesn't mean anything. It means that they are competitive. They want to do well and we want to do well. And we're starting to do well. You see what's going on we have best unemployment numbers probably that we've ever had. Black unemployment is the lowest level in history. Hispanic unemployment the lowest level in history, Jeff. Women unemployment lowest in 66 years. Our numbers are great. Our GDP numbers are far greater than what they thought.

JEFF GLOR: A lot of people might be surprised to hear you list the EU as a foe before China and Russia?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: No I look at them all look, EU is very difficult. I-I want to tell you. Maybe the thing that is most difficult -- don't forget both my parents were born in EU sectors okay? I mean my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany. And -- you know I love those countries. I respect the leaders of those countries. But -- in a trade sense, they've really taken advantage of us and many of those countries are in NATO and they weren't paying their bills and, you know, as an example a big problem with Germany. Because Germany made a pipeline deal with Russia. Where they're going to be paying Russia billions and billions of dollars a year for energy and I say that's not good, that's not fair. You're supposed to be fighting for someone and then that someone gives billions of dollars to the one you're, you know, guarding against, I think it's ridiculous so I let that be known also this time. I'll tell you what, there's a lot of anger at the fact that Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars. There's a lot of anger. I also think it's a very bad thing for Germany. Because it's like -- what are they waving a white flag?

foe
[fəʊ]

NOUN
literary
formal
foes (plural noun)
  1. an enemy or opponent.

Trump tends to think in economic terms. Aka what kind of trade inbalence the US has, vs services provided in return.

Like Germany, we have a trade deficit with them, and they don’t spend much on defense leaving more of a burden on the US. So they are bad.

The Russians, we don’t trade with them and we only spend our money planning to kill them. So not bad.

It really is all things financial with him.

In the early days of NATO the US took the economic loss in rebuilding Europe bec at the time it was in our best interests to do so.
Now that Western Europe is thriving people don’t understand they don’t want to meet the 2 percent commitment. They are starting to question the realtionship with Europe.

Trump tends to think in economic terms. Aka what kind of trade inbalence the US has, vs services provided in return.

Like Germany, we have a trade deficit with them, and they don’t spend much on defense leaving more of a burden on the US. So they are bad.

The Russians, we don’t trade with them and we only spend our money planning to kill them. So not bad.

It really is all things financial with him.

In the early days of NATO the US took the economic loss in rebuilding Europe bec at the time it was in our best interests to do so.
Now that Western Europe is thriving people don’t understand they don’t want to meet the 2 percent commitment. They are starting to question the relationship with Europe.
Trumps economic thinking, the thinking that bankrupted him 4 times? That's bigly good thinking that is, and you may not know this, probably the greatest thinking there's ever been, trust me. Yes. Right.

As for defence spending, please feel free to spend as much or as little as you wish to spend on defence. Also feel free to base or withdraw however many of your forces you wish to Europe. Do not, however, tell independent nations how to spend their own national income, it's got nothing to do with you. If you wish to stop "Defending Europe"*, the doors over there, don't let it bang your arse on the way out.

Neither should you expect any increase in defence spending by European countries to be entirely spent buying US made kit. The Europeans have their own defence industries who can supply whatever is needed. Or we could buy from the Israelis, like the UK and other European nations do for various systems. Given how much Trump seems to be rubbing up the various European nations in NATO the wrong way, I can't see why they'd spend money in the US in preference to spending it in Europe, can you? Just to keep the orange one happy? Really?

Nor should you expect, as the orange one seems to desire, that the Germans should stop buying natural gas from Russia and instead buy the stuff from the US. Unless you're prepared to sell it at a substantially cheaper price than the Russians. Neither should you think that selling it cheaper than the Russians initially and then bumping the price up later will be acceptable - you'll doubtless rapidly find yourself in a price war with Russia and they're more desperate for the cash than the US is, so will always be cheaper than you. It's called something like the art of the deal apparently.

*Defending Europe = potentially fighting wars in Europe instead of having the fighting occur in the US. Don't expect anyone to think you're doing it entirely for our benefit out of the goodness of your heart. Basing US forces is more for the benefit of the US than anyone else, otherwise why base them here, given how much they cost to maintain? Surely it would be cheaper to base them at home or even disband them?

For someone who's meant to be media savvy and how what is said may sound like or mean when screened on the news, he should have picked up on it and not used 'foes' in his response.

In my humble opinion.

Trumps economic thinking, the thinking that bankrupted him 4 times? That's bigly good thinking that is, and you may not know this, probably the greatest thinking there's ever been, trust me. Yes. Right.

As for defence spending, please feel free to spend as much or as little as you wish to spend on defence. Also feel free to base or withdraw however many of your forces you wish to Europe. Do not, however, tell independent nations how to spend their own national income, it's got nothing to do with you. If you wish to stop "Defending Europe"*, the doors over there, don't let it bang your arse on the way out.

Neither should you expect any increase in defence spending by European countries to be entirely spent buying US made kit. The Europeans have their own defence industries who can supply whatever is needed. Or we could buy from the Israelis, like the UK and other European nations do for various systems. Given how much Trump seems to be rubbing up the various European nations in NATO the wrong way, I can't see why they'd spend money in the US in preference to spending it in Europe, can you? Just to keep the orange one happy? Really?

Nor should you expect, as the orange one seems to desire, that the Germans should stop buying natural gas from Russia and instead buy the stuff from the US. Unless you're prepared to sell it at a substantially cheaper price than the Russians. Neither should you think that selling it cheaper than the Russians initially and then bumping the price up later will be acceptable - you'll doubtless rapidly find yourself in a price war with Russia and they're more desperate for the cash than the US is, so will always be cheaper than you. It's called something like the art of the deal apparently.

*Defending Europe = potentially fighting wars in Europe instead of having the fighting occur in the US. Don't expect anyone to think you're doing it entirely for our benefit out of the goodness of your heart. Basing US forces is more for the benefit of the US than anyone else, otherwise why base them here, given how much they cost to maintain? Surely it would be cheaper to base them at home or even disband them?

You are feisty today!

Europe already has quite a bit of American kit, and I gather they will be getting more. The Patriot deal is a big one, and the F-35 as well.

If you folks have a hard time supplying your own kit, then Europe will also be pretty hard up to do the same.

UK approved to buy 200 AIM-120D missiles

As for fighting wars over here....Red Dawn was only a movie. It is just not feasible to physically invade the US.

Basing forces In Europe is a double edged sword. The home crowd here would rather have the money they provide to the local communities. It is however a bit cheaper to station them in Europe then rotate forces every 9 months. Granted if another BRAC comes up our political types will vote to remove them before closing a base here.

And we're off!

'Trump set the tone for his private meeting with Putin by tweeting from Helsinki on Monday morning that the United States was to blame for poor relations with Russia, and calling the investigation that exposed the hacking a “Rigged Witch Hunt.” After Putin’s plane touched down in the Finnish capital, nearly an hour late, Russia’s ministry of foreign affairs shared Trump’s tweet with the comment “We agree.” '

http://time.com

foe
[fəʊ]

NOUN
literary
formal
foes (plural noun)
  1. an enemy or opponent.
The context implied in the Guardian is that of an enemy:

Trump calls European Union a 'foe' – ahead of Russia and China

Or at best it's ambiguous; you'll notice that the full question isn't there, only the 'who is your biggest foe', and not the bit preceding about 'who is your biggest competitor'.

It leaves the impression that the EU is simply an enemy of Trump, rather than a export competitor of the USA.

It's your typical spin.

As for fighting wars over here....Red Dawn was only a movie. It is just not feasible to physically invade the US.
Not any more, but once upon a time :thumright:

Don’t worry we paid you back in WW2!!! The great GI invasion, and we are still in the U.K.!
Not surprised given how bad the beer is in your country!

You are feisty today!

Europe already has quite a bit of American kit, and I gather they will be getting more. The Patriot deal is a big one, and the F-35 as well.

If you folks have a hard time supplying your own kit, then Europe will also be pretty hard up to do the same.

Basing forces In Europe is a double edged sword. The home crowd here would rather have the money they provide to the local communities. It is however a bit cheaper to station them in Europe then rotate forces every 9 months. Granted if another BRAC comes up our political types will vote to remove them before closing a base here.

The only reason Trump brought up defence spending is to get deals for US companies, hence his silly speech last week when he mentioned as many different contractors as he could.

Same with Germany buying gas from Russia, he would rather have them buying from the US.

Does an 'extraordinary relationship' Trump a special one? I guess we'll find out soon.

'Before the two leaders went into a first session between just themselves and their interpreters, Trump said the summit would cover "everything from trade to military to missiles to nuclear to China".

' "Frankly, we have not been getting along for the last number of years. And I really think the world wants to see us get along. We are the two great nuclear powers," he said. "I've not been here too long (as president), it's getting close to two years, but we'll be having an extraordinary relationship, I hope so." '

Trump vows 'extraordinary relationship' with Putin as summit opens

You are feisty today!

The Patriot deal? You mean the Polish one? As I understand it, most of the missiles for that system will eventually be Israeli Stunners (AKA Raytheon Skyceptors) as they are both cheaper and more capable than the PAC-3 Patriots. Not all US kit is the best in the world.

Why is it he always says something will happen and then in the next sentence caveats it with a "probably, maybe, I hope so, we'll see"? Makes him sound as though he hasn't a clue as to what is really happening.

Oh.

Right.

Yes.