The Trump Presidency...

Remembering back to the Fall of 2001. Afghanistan going to be a cakewalk, Al Queda has only a thousand members. 2003, Iraq will greet us with flowers as liberators. All that needs to be done is depose Saddam and sweep up those weapons of mass destruction. Best all Iraq's oil money will pay for it.
Now lasting peace and prosperity can be achieved led by the stable genius of Cadet Capt. Bone Spurs late of the junior reserve officer's training corp ( who knows more than all the Generals). Secure the US southern border by building a 12 mt high wal along the entire 3,145 km border ( Mexico out of graditude, will pick up the tab) and tidy up the minor disturbance in Syria.
All fixed just fall in line and keep in step.

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
In what world is 'Assad and Russia' 'mopping up in Syria'? Maybe lots of blood and debris, but there's massive areas of the country still under rebel control outside of Ghouta and of course the 25% plus or minus of Syria held by the SDF (which is 50% or so Kurds just to trigger some others).
Ah I’ve been misinformed, it’s good that there’s still lots to fight over.

Ah I’ve been misinformed, it’s good that there’s still lots to fight over.
Nobody is saying 'it's good that there's still lots to fight over' other than you. Just pointing out they're hardly 'mopping up'

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Tillerson's aide Steve Goldstein has...been fired.
Will the last sane person please turn out the lights in the White House?
That was because he said that Tillerson had not been fired last Friday, and said the first Tillerson knew about it was Trump's tweet today, not Friday as the Whitehouse originally claimed. Now Trump admitted to firing Tillerson this morning, whilst on TV earlier today confirming Goldstein's version of events.

Clusterfuck

You mean more than we already are with Op Shader? In accordance with a unanimous UNSC Resolution? Or are you talking about Erdogan attacking the YPG, opening up yet another can of worms?

There's a line for those of us brought up on the Geneva Convention and LOAC (MATT 7) and the Assad govt have repeatedly trashed it and their Russian supporters have vetoed any sanctions which can be put against that regime.

Our chance was taken when Parliament said no and Syria signed the CW convention and Russia said their stocks were destroyed. We've seen what happened since. In the long run Assad doesn't want those people back so where will they end up?
That's why we're better off keeping clear of any further involvent. Several sides are not playing by the rules, no doubt if we get further sucked in we would have to play fair. Leave them to it, it's not worth the bloodshed. If we've learnt anything from the last few decades, very little gets solved, the mire just gets deeper.

Remembering back to the Fall of 2001. Afghanistan going to be a cakewalk, Al Queda has only a thousand members. 2003, Iran will greet us with flowers as liberators. All that needs to be done is depose Saddam and sweep up those weapons of mass destruction. Best all Iran's oil money will pay for it.
Now lasting peace and prosperity can be achieved led by the stable genius of Cadet Capt. Bone Spurs late of the junior reserve officer's training corp ( who knows more than all the Generals). Secure the US southern border by building a 12 mt high wal along the entire 3,145 km border ( Mexico out of graditude, will pick up the tab) and tidy up the minor disturbance in Syria.
All fixed just fall in line and keep in step.
I hope you meant Iraq ...

That's why we're better off keeping clear of any further involvent. Several sides are not playing by the rules, no doubt if we get further sucked in we would have to play fair. Leave them to it, it's not worth the bloodshed. If we've learnt anything from the last few decades, very little gets solved, the mire just gets deeper.
Bit of a difficult situation if we’re providing support to the SDF (and others) and the SDF come under attack by SAA (okay, Russian mercenaries) forces. Do we let those providing support get killed and injured by the SAA (Russian mercenaries)? That’s just one example.

As a member of the P5, do we ignore failure to comply with unanimous UNSC Resolutions?

Syria is a huge pigs ear and it definitely isn’t black and white. That’s not to say we should jump in, nor is it to say we should ignore flagrant breaches.

That was because he said that Tillerson had not been fired last Friday, and said the first Tillerson knew about it was Trump's tweet today, not Friday as the Whitehouse originally claimed. Now Trump admitted to firing Tillerson this morning, whilst on TV earlier today confirming Goldstein's version of events.

Clusterfuck
Besides Melania who is the longest serving member of Trump's team.

Bit of a difficult situation if we’re providing support to the SDF (and others) and the SDF come under attack by SAA (okay, Russian mercenaries) forces. Do we let those providing support get killed and injured by the SAA (Russian mercenaries)? That’s just one example.

As a member of the P5, do we ignore failure to comply with unanimous UNSC Resolutions?

Syria is a huge pigs ear and it definitely isn’t black and white. That’s not to say we should jump in, nor is it to say we should ignore flagrant breaches.
I think the British public is not interested in playing the worlds police force alongside the US any more. If the SDF get control of Syria it will be Libya all over again, they won't have enough power to control various factions within.

Our government can get away with drones, a few aircraft flying in uncontested airspace, and SF support, (apparently the public will accept a few SF fatalities, as that's the sort of thing the SF do).

May has enough problems with Brexit. Committing more assets, which would eventually involve a firm ground involvement, the public just aren't going to buy it. They’ve been sold a pup twice on overseas excursions, I doubt they'll fall for the third.

UNSC resolutions will come second, if forcing compliance on another country will cost the government at the time the next election.

80 homicides in the same period in London where Chicago alone had 665.

Is there an American English dictionary that has the word "Disproportionate" in it?
It’s a bit more disproportionate than that MD.

Adjusting for the respective population sizes the figure for Chicago rises to 2155, which is 27 times the rate for London.

Now that’s disproportionate.

Last edited:
I think the British public is not interested in playing the worlds police force alongside the US any more. If the SDF get control of Syria it will be Libya all over again, they won't have enough power to control various factions within.
I'm not talking 'world police' personally. Anyway, that's not their goal. They want an autonomous region in Syria much like Iraq has. That's why they're predominately east of the Euphrates. The problem they have is Assad's govt has reneged on so many deals, even if one is struck re autonomy how long will it last. We're there under yet another unanimous UNSC Resolution.
Our government can get away with drones, a few aircraft flying in uncontested airspace, and SF support, (apparently the public will accept a few SF fatalities, as that's the sort of thing the SF do).
We provide a lot more than that, particularly at the ISTAR level. You're saying we should let the Russian mercs kill our SF?
May has enough problems with Brexit. Committing more assets, which would eventually involve a firm ground involvement, the public just aren't going to buy it. They’ve been sold a pup twice on overseas excursions, I doubt they'll fall for the third.
That's where I disagree but probably not for this thread. I have no problem with our involvement in either conflict, particularly with Afghanistan, UN Resolutions and A5. How they were managed is a separate matter. As for the UK govt, yes they are rightly concentrating on Brexit and a bit of CW in Salisbury..
UNSC resolutions will come second, if forcing compliance on another country will cost the government at the time the next election.
Possibly. Like any conflict, it's how it's spun. that is something we could learn from the Russian playbook.

Anyway, we're discussing Trump's possible actions in Syria and the Russians have already said they will defend their troops. However, in the meantime it looks like sick and injured and some fighters are now being allowed to leave Ghouta. When the next CW strike occurs resulting in deaths is when we'll find out more.

I know Trumps administration is a bit like a revolving door but on reflection I quite like the idea of bringing in fresh blood from time to time - in particular here in the UK how refreshing would it be to turf out Hammond, Boris or Rudd to bring in fresh blood - the new sec of defence seems to be doing well after a lot of initial doubt and if the ministers thought that theresa may would sack them at a drop of the hat i suspect some of the ego s and attitudes in the cabinet may change for the better! In regard to Trump its no problem, in business he's totally used to hiring and firing as he see's fit.

I know Trumps administration is a bit like a revolving door but on reflection I quite like the idea of bringing in fresh blood from time to time - in particular here in the UK how refreshing would it be to turf out Hammond, Boris or Rudd to bring in fresh blood - the new sec of defence seems to be doing well after a lot of initial doubt and if the ministers thought that theresa may would sack them at a drop of the hat i suspect some of the ego s and attitudes in the cabinet may change for the better! In regard to Trump its no problem, in business he's totally used to hiring and firing as he see's fit.
2/3rds of Trump's businesses fail.

10 Donald Trump Business Failures

You need stability and experience when running a country. Imagine if Trump gave a key post to say, his some Jared - no experience of Government, exposed financially and so a weak spot. Who'd be dim enough to do that?

Being POTUS and leader of the free world really is quite different from running a business or chairing The Apprentice. You need people who know what they're doing.

I'm not talking 'world police' personally. Anyway, that's not their goal. They want an autonomous region in Syria much like Iraq has. That's why they're predominately east of the Euphrates. The problem they have is Assad's govt has reneged on so many deals, even if one is struck re autonomy how long will it last. We're there under yet another unanimous UNSC Resolution.

We provide a lot more than that, particularly at the ISTAR level. You're saying we should let the Russian mercs kill our SF?

That's where I disagree but probably not for this thread. I have no problem with our involvement in either conflict, particularly with Afghanistan, UN Resolutions and A5. How they were managed is a separate matter. As for the UK govt, yes they are rightly concentrating on Brexit and a bit of CW in Salisbury..

Possibly. Like any conflict, it's how it's spun. that is something we could learn from the Russian playbook.

Anyway, we're discussing Trump's possible actions in Syria and the Russians have already said they will defend their troops. However, in the meantime it looks like sick and injured and some fighters are now being allowed to leave Ghouta. When the next CW strike occurs resulting in deaths is when we'll find out more.
The Russians have already lined up their pre-emptive lies. They "apparently" have intelligence that the rebels are going to do a 'false flag' chemical weapon attack on themselves.(as if...)
Not that that lie hasn't been used before or anything, just before an imaginary not-at-all Government helicopter drops something.

[

Anyway, we're discussing Trump's possible actions in Syria and the Russians have already said they will defend their troops. However, in the meantime it looks like sick and injured and some fighters are now being allowed to leave Ghouta. When the next CW strike occurs resulting in deaths is when we'll find out more.[/QUOTE]

Which would not be in their interest at all. Nobody is going to think twice about swatting them. When you condone the use of WMD by your allies and then use them against other countries yourself, you tend be labeled a threat. Not to mention the fact that the Russian Airbase in Syria could be shut down and taken out of action if they want to get froggy about it.

Latest Threads