Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trump Presidency...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Have they solved the problem of recycling EV batteries yet?
Nope! - and that's an informed 'nope!'
They've not managed to solve the problem of manufacturing them properly yet.

I do wonder if any members of the forum ever had to go rounds with their kids at any point. I know my dad and I exchanged a few punches, 20 odd years ago. Snitching on your parents was never going to happen, and that was with more than harsh words. I horse collared my lad when he was acting out of line with his step father a few months ago, and I imagine it will happen again.

If the current crop of 18 year olds think this is the woke thing to do, then they are going to hate life in the future.
It really is closer to 1021 than 2021 in your neck of the woods, isn't it?

Mattb

LE
Like Trump BEGGING certain people to find 'any dirt' on certain other people? Any spare emails, comrade? Coupla invoices to keep the cold out, guv?
Ah, that’s patriotic fabrication snitching, not the dishonourable left-wing kind.

Nope! - and that's an informed 'nope!'
They've not managed to solve the problem of manufacturing them properly yet.

They seem to think they can.

More confusion for his successors to deal with? The final petulant act of Trump's deadly COVID legacy.

'With just hours before he leaves the White House, Donald Trump has made a huge statement by drastically changing the nation's travel rules.

'He has just lifted entry bans imposed because of the coronavirus on most non-US citizens arriving from Brazil and much of Europe – despite the emergence of new variants in both parts of the world. The current rules bar nearly all non-US citizens who within the last 14 days have been in Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland and the 26 countries of the Schengen area in Europe that allow travel across open borders.

'The new rules will come into place from January 26. They state that anyone coming into the country on an international flight must have a negative coronavirus test or proof of recovery from COVID. “This action is the best way to continue protecting Americans from COVID-19 while enabling travel to resume safely,” Trump said in a statement released by the White House.'

E2A: No surprises there, but more potential doubt and confusion spread by TangoMan's actions.

'US President-elect Joe Biden plans to quickly extend travel restrictions barring travel by most people who have recently been in much of Europe and Brazil, a spokeswoman for Biden said on Monday, according to Reuters.

'The announcement came after President Donald Trump signed an order lifting the restrictions, which he imposed early last year in response to the coronavirus pandemic, as of January 26.

'Soon after Trump’s order was made public, however, Biden spokeswoman Jen Psaki tweeted, “On the advice of our medical team, the Administration does not intend to lift these restrictions on 1/26.”

'She added, “With the pandemic worsening, and more contagious variants emerging around the world, this is not the time to be lifting restrictions on international travel.”

'The restrictions Trump rescinded have barred nearly all non-US citizens who within the last 14 days have been in Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland and the 26 countries of the Schengen area in Europe that allow travel across open borders.

'Psaki added that “in fact, we plan to strengthen public health measures around international travel in order to further mitigate the spread of COVID-19.”

Last edited:
Boring, haven't you got anything better to come back with - I'll give that 1 out of ten, and that's me being generous. Mind you lefties are pretty crap at everything apart from whinging and living like leaches off the backs of other people's work - so I didn't expect anything different.
So what's your opinion on the occupation of the Capitol? Who was behind that attack?

In Ontario the Tesla supercharger network is fairly plentiful and growing. It’s backed up by destination charging which is pretty widespread. Big difference between the destination and superchargers. Destination at 40 to 70km per hour or so but superchargers at 250km per hour plus. The Tesla’s and I think all of the EVs have continual software upgrades and I think as the technology improves the cars performance will go with it.
I've just looked at the official Tesla map for Tesla Superchargers in Southwestern Ontario. They have one in Cambridge, one in Kitchener, one in Woodstock, one in London, one half way between Chatham and Windsor, one in Kincardine, and one in Owen Sound. The majority of these are located to serve traffic on the 401 (one of the main highways in Canada) and are not conveniently located to serve the local market. Once you get outside of the GTA, Tesla Supercharger stations are few and far between.

They also have just one service centre in all of southwestern Ontario, and that's in KW, which surprise, surprise is one of the centres of the tech industry in Canada and so has many of the same market features of Silicon Valley (without being as expensive or crowded to live in).

Maserati have better dealer and service coverage than Tesla do, and I could fill up a Maserati (if I had one) at any of hundreds of gas (petrol) stations located everywhere.

The 800 volt rapid charging systems that I mentioned operate at a much higher voltage than the 480 volt Tesla systems, and that's not the sort of difference that can be adapted to with a software upgrade.

The original question was with respect to charging electric cars in general, rather than Tesla specifically. According to various sources that I have read, it takes roughly 40 minutes to charge a Tesla to the 80 per cent level (the charging rate slows drastically after that) using a Tesla Supercharger.

At that rate most people will be looking to charge their cars overnight at home. According to press reports that I have read in recent years, if everyone had an electric car, and everyone wanted to charge it at home at night, that would require major upgrades to electric distribution systems in cities all over Canada, including lines and transformers. That will require a massive investment, which in turn will push up utility bills for everyone.

As I mentioned in a previous post however, if rapid charging can happen quickly enough, say 10 minutes, then it becomes more like filling up your car and you will be more likely to go to a commercial charging station instead of doing it at home. These charging stations could be located in the same sorts of places as gas (petrol) stations are. As major consumers they could buy electricity at industrial rates and so get it much cheaper than you could. This would mean that cities wouldn't need to upgrade their entire distribution infrastructure all over the city, they would just need large lines to the major charging stations.

So as I said earlier, the location and number of charging stations will depend heavily upon how much capacity batteries have and how rapidly they can charge. If they can be charged rapidly enough we will likely see a situation where charging your car becomes like filling it up with liquid fuel today is. The limitations and problems of 5 years ago may not be particularly relevant to the vehicles of 10 years from now.

I've just looked at the official Tesla map for Tesla Superchargers in Southwestern Ontario. They have one in Cambridge, one in Kitchener, one in Woodstock, one in London, one half way between Chatham and Windsor, one in Kincardine, and one in Owen Sound. The majority of these are located to serve traffic on the 401 (one of the main highways in Canada) and are not conveniently located to serve the local market. Once you get outside of the GTA, Tesla Supercharger stations are few and far between.

They also have just one service centre in all of southwestern Ontario, and that's in KW, which surprise, surprise is one of the centres of the tech industry in Canada and so has many of the same market features of Silicon Valley (without being as expensive or crowded to live in).

Maserati have better dealer and service coverage than Tesla do, and I could fill up a Maserati (if I had one) at any of hundreds of gas (petrol) stations located everywhere.

The 800 volt rapid charging systems that I mentioned operate at a much higher voltage than the 480 volt Tesla systems, and that's not the sort of difference that can be adapted to with a software upgrade.

The original question was with respect to charging electric cars in general, rather than Tesla specifically. According to various sources that I have read, it takes roughly 40 minutes to charge a Tesla to the 80 per cent level (the charging rate slows drastically after that) using a Tesla Supercharger.

At that rate most people will be looking to charge their cars overnight at home. According to press reports that I have read in recent years, if everyone had an electric car, and everyone wanted to charge it at home at night, that would require major upgrades to electric distribution systems in cities all over Canada, including lines and transformers. That will require a massive investment, which in turn will push up utility bills for everyone.

As I mentioned in a previous post however, if rapid charging can happen quickly enough, say 10 minutes, then it becomes more like filling up your car and you will be more likely to go to a commercial charging station instead of doing it at home. These charging stations could be located in the same sorts of places as gas (petrol) stations are. As major consumers they could buy electricity at industrial rates and so get it much cheaper than you could. This would mean that cities wouldn't need to upgrade their entire distribution infrastructure all over the city, they would just need large lines to the major charging stations.

So as I said earlier, the location and number of charging stations will depend heavily upon how much capacity batteries have and how rapidly they can charge. If they can be charged rapidly enough we will likely see a situation where charging your car becomes like filling it up with liquid fuel today is. The limitations and problems of 5 years ago may not be particularly relevant to the vehicles of 10 years from now.

The other problem in getting everyone over to electric cars is the cost. Billy Bob and Joe Bob traditionally buy bangers for a few hundred quid/bucks. To pick up an electric roller skat for that money would likely mean the batteries were shagged, and needing replacement which they could not afford. It is going to be a long, long time before the world stops running on oil.

Another thought:

Just like there is a market for nicked catalytic convertors I foresee a market for nicked batteries.

Here is a moonhowler, that perhaps isn’t too far away and could impact situations such as mass protest and riots. The new generation of EVs will be (some are now) hooked up to the manufacturer just like your mobile phone. For me the car knows exactly where it is at all times, speed limits, restrictions etc. The days when the car simply won’t break speed limits is coming. I wonder then when cars will be controlled as to where they go. Not a huge stretch to control the movement of certain people attending political demos if they are planning to go by car.

Seems a crazy thing to me but something very doable I think for the manufacturer’s soon.
Well if the car is self driving, the police could just tick a box on their PC at the station and when you got in your car the doors could lock you in and then the car could drive you to the police station and park there until the police can get around to stepping outside and hauling you into a cell. We're not there yet, but some day ...

The other problem in getting everyone over to electric cars is the cost. Billy Bob and Joe Bob traditionally buy bangers for a few hundred quid/bucks. To pick up an electric roller skat for that money would likely mean the batteries were shagged, and needing replacement which they could not afford. It is going to be a long, long time before the world stops running on oil.

Another thought:

Just like there is a market for nicked catalytic convertors I foresee a market for nicked batteries.
I think the problems of electric cars today are like the problems of the early horseless carriages. Despite all the people shouting "get a horse!", the problems were not inherently unsolvable, they just took time to solve before they could provide reliable and affordable transportation for the average person.

There won't be nickable batteries in the future, incorporating them into the chassis is already being done and has been researched for some time.

The way forward though is invisible and weightless batteries

Unlike a conventional battery pack embedded in the chassis, these structural batteries are invisible. The electrical storage happens in the thin layers of composite materials that make up the car’s frame. In a sense, they’re weightless because the car is the battery. “It’s making the material do two things simultaneously,” says Greenhalgh. This new way of thinking about EV design can provide huge performance gains and improve safety because there won’t be thousands of energy-dense, flammable cells packed into the car.

Until then

I thought an interesting piece on Channel 4 News last night. Some footage I had not seen before of the mob in the Capitol building which included a short segment of the raging loon in the bison hat with one of the coppers apparently acting like a guide. Also interview with the deputy ambassador to the UK giving some insight to the failings of Trump’s appointed ambassador.

I'll never run out, I'm sitting on a salt mountain that I gathered up from all the remoaner tears, lefty tears are ten times saltier that any other type, so I'm not going to run out of salt any time in the next 100 or so years!

Here's my December 31st collection of lefty tears once they dried out!
salt-mountain-large1.jpg

Here's my collection from 1st Jan 2020 - I'm still mining from that at the moment.
2D00FC1500000578-0-image-a-47_1443787800881.jpg

Well done you. It’ll help pickle the bile you seem to revel in.

Latest Threads