Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trump Presidency...

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Not so much worried about the fur on the outside of the turd, as the rather more dangerous ones who came equipped to do serious harm.
The ones with body armour, radios, cable ties, and the ones who placed pipe bombs as a distraction.

And who were going to achieve what thereby exactly? The best any of them could hope for was the Timothy McVeigh Award. There's an awful lot of capability in close proximity to DC and, contrary to what some here believe, America isn't on the verge of armed insurrection. I suggest that most of it's actually appalled at what's happened.

Well, that ship has well and truly sailed. Once they get the low hanging fruit and they start singing like canaries there’s going to be a hell of a lot more getting the four o clock knock. .

Thanks to Trump they’ve never had a better or more realistic opportunity to go after the militias and associated groups

Some say good old Donald...
So then you are going to go after all the conservatives? Of which where will the Feds get all the manpower to round up millions of Americans?

Mattb

LE
I think Trump's an excellent example.

I can think of extreme personal behaviour but which bits of his actual policy programme do you consider to be extreme? He was certainly highly disruptive and I think he could have pursued his objectives in a far more constructive and intelligent manner but what did he actually de-stabilise?

Finally, when he tried to game the system, the system did exactly what it was designed to do, put him firmly back in his box and assured an uncontested transition to his duly elected Democratic successor.
Well largely his policy decisions consisted of ripping up sensible policies (Paris agreement, Iran deal, ACA) out of spite - but that’s more validation of the success of some parts of the US system of government and its limiting effect on absolute power than anything else.

I can’t see PR in the US enabling any significantly increased craziness in actual output - and it’s largely irrelevant in a discussion about presidential elections anyway as it would just mean that the crazies lose less-badly.

Not so much worried about the fur on the outside of the turd, as the rather more dangerous ones who came equipped to do serious harm.
The ones with body armour, radios, cable ties, and the ones who placed pipe bombs as a distraction.

And gas masks. Who brings gas masks to a demo/protest unless they are expecting tear gas?

And who brings the timber to build a scaffold (and the platform it rests on?) I know the scaffold was meant to be purely symbolic (it was only about 2M tall) but who brings 2M lengths of 4"x4" to a demo? (And why do we use metric and imperial concurrently?).

The VP might have failed to understand the symbolism when he saw a gallows and heard rioters chanting "Hang Mike Pence". You can probably excuse his SS protection of having a mega sense of humour failure.

Very handy that one of the wibblevids that Dipso posted the day before Revolution II (Failed) pointed out where there were building supplies nearby.

I have to say, watching the proceedings on CNN, Congress are very well behaved boys and girls. The HOP would be booing and cheering like a fcking pantomime if this was happening here.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Well largely his policy decisions consisted of ripping up sensible policies (Paris agreement, Iran deal, ACA) out of spite - but that’s more validation of the success of some parts of the US system of government and its limiting effect on absolute power than anything else.

I can’t see PR in the US enabling any significantly increased craziness in actual output - and it’s largely irrelevant in a discussion about presidential elections anyway as it would just mean that the crazies lose less-badly.

Your views on the Paris Agreement, the Iran deal and the ACA are entirely subjective - a legitimate argument can and has been made against them and cancelling them was not extreme. The Paris Agreement was attacked from all sides:

As for PR, you may be right in terms of Presidential elections but geography alone would mean that the less populated parts of the US would be increasingly neglected - which is part of the problem.

And who were going to achieve what thereby exactly? The best any of them could hope for was the Timothy McVeigh Award. There's an awful lot of capability in close proximity to DC and, contrary to what some here believe, America isn't on the verge of armed insurrection. I suggest that most of it's actually appalled at what's happened.
In their addled minds they were going to win, the local law were already in hands off mode, and El Presidente was going to approve and pardon them, as he had summoned them and ordered them to march.
Sadly, it still hasn't dawned on them that he is a liar.

Just watching the news at the minute and it would seem to me that the reason the Democrats are keen to get Trump impeached is because they are shit scared of him getting re-relected.

I'd love to know what the views of the average bloke on the ground in the States is.

Septics. Can we have a view please?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
In their addled minds they were going to win, the local law were already in hands off mode, and El Presidente was going to approve and pardon them, as he had summoned them and ordered them to march.
Sadly, it still hasn't dawned on them that he is a liar.
'Addled' is the word. I'm sure it was nasty if you were in the middle of it but it wasn't an existential threat to the US.

So then you are going to go after all the conservatives? Of which where will the Feds get all the manpower to round up millions of Americans?

What you've said above is your response to "Thanks to Trump they’ve never had a better or more realistic opportunity to go after the militias and associated groups"

Are you saying all conservatives are in militias then? Are you personally? Or is it yet more ludicrous self-victimisation hyperbole that the nasty democrats are going to round you all up in FEMA camps?

bentobox

Old-Salt
Not sure why they're bothering to impeach someone who isn't actually going to be El Pres anyway in 7 days...

I'll also add a lot of this shit could have been avoided if the left hadn't lost their mind for 4 years straight, all I've heard everywhere. On the news, on the internet, on social media, oh God on Social media so much.

Donald Tee is a cnut, over and over and over, endlessly for 4 years.
Yes we know thanks.

However, that in itself is aggravating and unproductive, I can entirely sympathise with Steamy, and I'd most likely be a republican myself if I were a septic.

Storm the yank equivalent of the HoP though, that's a dick move and anyone with a modicum of sense could have seen how that would end.

I reckon the only to resolve this is to renanct that classic piece of American Cinema.

The Purge.

Give em 2 weeks of it, that'll learn em :D
I believe one of the reasons to do so is that if he is impeached he will never again be able to run for president, or any other senate/congress role. This is possibly why Mitch McConnell is keeping so quiet at present, this could work out very well for the GOP if trump is never able to get any future position of power.

The Democrats (and other) are keen to get Trump impeached and soon. Because they have four years worth of revenge to work off, and doing it while he is still officially President turns the knife that bit better.

Vindictive lot these lefties.

What you've said above is your response to "Thanks to Trump they’ve never had a better or more realistic opportunity to go after the militias and associated groups"

Are you saying all conservatives are in militias then? Are you personally? Or is it yet more ludicrous self-victimisation that the nasty democrats are going to round you all up in FEMA camps?
The Democrats seem to be in a mood for mass punishment. As of now they have not managed to chill their deal. It is quite telling and doesn't really match the theme of "healing".

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe one of the reasons to do so is that if he is impeached he will never again be able to run for president, or any other senate/congress role. This is possibly why Mitch McConnell is keeping so quiet at present, this could work out very well for the GOP if trump is never able to get any future position of power.
Not so quiet:

If the GOP has decided that atonement requires trump's scalp/wig, he's in trouble.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Articulate but bonkers. ARRSE member?

One of the pro-remainers ones on here?.

Who hasn't posted on here since last week, and is a prolific remainiac?.

The Democrats seem to be in a mood for mass punishment. As of now they have not managed to chill their deal. It is quite telling and doesn't really match the theme of "healing".

Ah ok I see, all hypothetical then. As in the voices in your head. Ok.

Only someone in the Trump cult could try to twist holding someone accountable as the prosecutors actually being the guilty ones.

If the FBI have credible intelligence that there may be widespread insurrection on the 20th, then everyone should be working to de-escalate the situation in the remaining week.

What’s done is done in the US Capitol, that shameful shitshow went down, and now hundreds of protagonists will be going down too. Those that actually did violate the sanctity of Congress, that did cause damage and death, they will be held to account.

The President‘s words were not helpful on that day. I would think a competent lawyer could however construct an argument that he didn’t demand that the protestors took the action they did. If it’s felt that there is a case to answer, then prosecute him, but let due process take place. To kangaroo court him for the sake of 7 days remaining in power seems spiteful and vindictive to me.

And that’s the problem that’s being brought out in the video shown. What is to be gained by provoking the far right anew? Surely an “everyone calm the fcuk down and let’s move on” approach would be much more productive, rather than give them more ammo to be pissed off about.

Well yes, quite. One does not put out a fire by pouring petrol, or gas as the Ungrateful Colonists call it, on the flames. But US politics is so viciously partisan, they will not be able to restrain themselves from going for Trump's throat. Not matter what the potential consequences.

Latest Threads