Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trump Presidency...

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Because people’s votes count differently based on where they’re from, just like seats in the EU parliament - where my vote counted less than (for example) an Estonian. That is deeply flawed democracy.

PR inherently means that political life has to include everyone, unlike the current status quo where it revolves around a few swing states (much like British political life revolves around a few dozen constituencies).
One man, one vote. What’s so terrible about that, other than that the Republican party struggles to win the popular vote?

PR brought the crazies into the Israeli mainstream - FPTP tends to deliver more stable and less extreme administrations - although on occasion they may find themselves in hoc to the DUP if the administration is led by Theresa May...

Times change. EC is outdated. The US has become more of a federal state as the years have gone by and the original worry about certain states holding too much/too little power is kaput. EC in essence has made so that candidates only really need to fight in swing states.

A winner-takes-all system categorically does not make sense. Why should a state allocate all the electoral college votes to an individual if, for example, a candidate wins marginally? All the other votes are, in essence, wasted. Nebraska and Maine have a far more sensible way of distributing EC votes by proportionally allocating them to each candidate. Its the middle ground between what the US has now and supporters of a popular vote.
So now Presidential elections forever to be decided by California and New York because without the EC thats what happens. and no other person in Ohio or Arizona, Virginia or dozens of other states has a vote that will ever count in Presidential elections

For those who've not seen the high spirited Patriots exercising their Constutional rights, you might like to watch this.

Some of them were exercising their sphincter muscles as well as they had a shit on on the floor.

The Mothers of America would be proud of their boys.

Hey, wait up there Billy-Bob. There must be a good name in there.

Last edited:

Mattb

LE
FPTP tends to deliver more stable and less extreme administrations - although on occasion they may find themselves in hoc to the DUP if the administration is led by Theresa May...
Stable and less-extreme like Donald Trump? Not sure your argument really works there.

Mattb

LE
So now Presidential elections forever to be decided by California and New York because without the EC thats what happens. and no other person in Ohio or Arizona, Virginia or dozens of other states has a vote that will ever count in Presidential elections
No. CA and NY together make up less than 20% of the US population, and don’t vote as a bloc anyway.
One man, one vote. If it comes down to it and there’s one vote in it, yours will swing it whether you’re from LA or Buttfuck, Idaho.

Precisely. I don't give a shit if he's gay. Nothing wrong with that. Covering it up to the extent that it becomes a national security issue though is thin ice for the country.
You might not nor I but he's a South Carolina senator and they're not known for their tolerance there, are they?

tgo

War Hero
Not sure why they're bothering to impeach someone who isn't actually going to be El Pres anyway in 7 days...

I'll also add a lot of this shit could have been avoided if the left hadn't lost their mind for 4 years straight, all I've heard everywhere. On the news, on the internet, on social media, oh God on Social media so much.

Donald Tee is a cnut, over and over and over, endlessly for 4 years.
Yes we know thanks.

However, that in itself is aggravating and unproductive, I can entirely sympathise with Steamy, and I'd most likely be a republican myself if I were a septic.

Storm the yank equivalent of the HoP though, that's a dick move and anyone with a modicum of sense could have seen how that would end.

I reckon the only to resolve this is to renanct that classic piece of American Cinema.

The Purge.

Give em 2 weeks of it, that'll learn em :D

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
No, it was a badly organised putsch with the connivance of corrupt law enforcement.
The copper who shot that stupid woman and stopped the wave of self righteous wannabe stormtroopers in their tracks may have saved the United States.

It was a pack of saddoes forcing their way into into an under-guarded building with very little idea of why and even less idea about what to do once they were in there. The fearsome horde could have held the Capitol for just as long as it took the forces of law and order to cut the pizza supply and switch off the heating and internet

If you truly believe that the US was in dire peril and needed saving from that tribe, you may as well start learning Chinese.

If everyone promises not to be triggered, let's remind ourselves of what these terrifying revolutionary firebrands looked like:

1610559256746.png

No. CA and NY together make up less than 20% of the US population, and don’t vote as a bloc anyway.
One man, one vote. If it comes down to it and there’s one vote in it, yours will swing it whether you’re from LA or Buttfuck, Idaho.
Cali get 55 EC votes the most in the nation so yeah it negates everyone elses votes in a straight up count

and as you said Buttfuck Idaho it show's the contempt the urban have for rural communities

That's a good point GB but it also works the other way around in terms of general unfairness.

There were a good few states where Biden got over 45% of the vote but none of the EC votes. In effect this large minority was disenfranchised and nearly always will be, at least until there are significant demographic changes in those states (which appears to be happening in the south west).

I can think of various ways of reducing the imbalances inherent in both the EC (increase the number of electors and allocate votes proportionally) and Senate votes (pretty much the same) but I doubt there is much chance of them even being discussed.

I guess all electoral systems will leave someone pissed off. (Even Trump thought the EC was bigliest joke, right up to the moment it put him into the White House).

Mattb

LE
Cali get 55 EC votes the most in the nation so yeah it negates everyone elses votes in a straight up count

and as you said Buttfuck Idaho it show's the contempt the urban have for rural communities
Well (a) the suggestion was to abolish the EC and (b) I’m not urban. I live in a small village which has much less of a say in politics than London does.

I am a fan of introducing PR in Britain despite the fact that London and Manchester would get about 1/6 of the vote... wait, I mean precisely because of it.

One man, one vote.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Stable and less-extreme like Donald Trump? Not sure your argument really works there.

I think Trump's an excellent example.

I can think of extreme personal behaviour but which bits of his actual policy programme do you consider to be extreme? He was certainly highly disruptive and I think he could have pursued his objectives in a far more constructive and intelligent manner but what did he actually de-stabilise?

Finally, when he tried to game the system, the system did exactly what it was designed to do, put him firmly back in his box and assured an uncontested transition to his duly elected Democratic successor.

It was a pack of saddoes forcing their way into into an under-guarded building with very little idea of why and even less idea about what to do once they were in there. The fearsome horde could have held the Capitol for just as long as it took the forces of law and order to cut the pizza supply and switch off the heating and internet

If you truly believe that the US was in dire peril and needed saving from that tribe, you may as well start learning Chinese.

If everyone promises not to be triggered, let's remind ourselves of what these terrifying revolutionary firebrands looked like:

View attachment 538997
Not so much worried about the fur on the outside of the turd, as the rather more dangerous ones who came equipped to do serious harm.
The ones with body armour, radios, cable ties, and the ones who placed pipe bombs as a distraction.

Stormy the yank equivalent of the HoP though, that's a dick move and anyone with a modicum of sense could have seen how that would end.

Not words Trump likes to see in the same sentence.

(And yes, I know you edited it).

View attachment 538997

You need to watch this, you oddly myopic / ill informed apologist.

"Storming the Capitol: ITV News team who filmed pictures that shocked world reveal inside story of what they saw | ITV News" Storming the Capitol: ITV News team on inside story of day that shocked world | ITV News

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't be so up in arms...It was just a little bit of Civil disobedience.
Well, that ship has well and truly sailed. Once they get the low hanging fruit and they start singing like canaries there’s going to be a hell of a lot more getting the four o clock knock. .

Thanks to Trump they’ve never had a better or more realistic opportunity to go after the militias and associated groups

Some say good old Donald...

Latest Threads