Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trump Presidency...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And on a lighter note the Donald tries to compete with Theresa May for naff dancing

Scotland has had its own laws since the Actsof Union in 1707* and various additional Acts of Parliament since.
Scotland has had its own laws since it became Scotland, if not before. The Acts of Union guaranteed that Scotland and England would keep their own laws after Union, without interference from the other and subject only to Parliament and the Crown.

One country, two systems...

No.
False.
Untrue.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland Statute law obtains.

Scotland has had its own laws since the Actsof Union in 1707* and various additional Acts of Parliament since.

BBC - History - British History in depth: Acts of Union: The creation of the United Kingdom

Sharia law has no legal basis ANYWHERE in the United Kingdom .

You aware, of course, that Moscow's pet broadcaster Russia Today has been pushing this line for the last four years ?

Claro ?

* At which point every American citizen was a loyal subject of Her Britannic Majesty Queen Anne , as you will be aware :)

Not 100% true. Eccolesiactical courts operate within the English legal framework.

The trouble with this is that other religious courts in the UK are only allowed to act as a place for mediation for civil disputes not judicicate on criminal or civil cases. News outlets like to confuse the two...... But then again so do some of the religious courts who like to push the narrative that they have more power than they legally do.
It brings to light the problem of having religious communities who put religion above UK secular legal system. Add into the mix people being pressured into using religious courts by the community due to community power structure and a distrust of the UK legal system.

47 minute programme, forced to watch pop-up adverts. Demanding we answer a nonexistent list of ‘facts’

**** that

But after a skip through, I’ll sum up my response in a single sentence:

Channel 4 claims it’s been a catastrophe, but the actual data shows that the death rate in the United States, on a like for like (ie per capita) basis, has been broadly in line with the figures seen across the UK, Italy, France, Spain, Sweden & other first world & European nations with similar levels of social and economic development.
The numbers are something like 0.06% of americans infected die and around 0.04% europeans and in both cases, the deaths are largely linked to densely populated cities. Its also like comparing the UK with Belgium, where population densities are 383 in Belgium, to 275 in the UK..... The point been its complicated and I don't think any government has done all that well, or that badly either.

What concerns is the attempts to politicise covid and the use of intentionally emotive language amidst an election, was the show made for a UK audience, or was Channel 4 trying in a small way to influence the election ? it just strikes me as interesting, in peoples minds to the extent Trump has sent people mad.

P.S.
Channel 4 News - managed to find a couple of decent democrat types and the usual gun toting americans, with a poignent shot of fearful trump voter with two guns sitting in his living room (sad, but intentional).

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Totally off topic, but just before the United Kingdom came into being the government of Ireland (ie the pro-British protestant government in Dublin) set up a militia system ostensibly to defend Ireland from French invasion but perhaps more likely to trump (no pun) the military advantage of the "Patriots" in the Irish Volunteers who were modelling themselves on the American Patriots and their citizen soldiers and who were a cause for concern among the pro-British establishment.

The odd thing was of course that the Volunteers were protestant liberals to a man (taking their cue from their cousins in America) while the militia were to be conscripted Irish Catholics who could be disciplined into doing Dublin’s, and by extension London's, bidding. The loyal protestant gentry of course did not serve in the militia, they formed their own "yeomanry" companies, with varying degrees of competence.

The United Ireland movement, again protestant liberal Patriots taking their cue from America and latterly Revolutionary France, tried with a good deal of success to suborn the militia regiments, raised on a county basis but serving in a different county, from their nominal loyalty.

As it turned out during the 1798 Rising the Irish militia, despised and maligned though they were by their socially superior yeomanry comrades, actually acquitted themselves well and served as the back bone of the British effort holding the line until British Army regulars could be brought from England.

After the Rising and the formation of the United Kingdom in the Act of Union, Ireland was largely peaceful for a while and thousands of Catholic Irishmen with military training were sitting around with nothing to do. As the Napoleonic Wars were raging the British government soon found a good use for them and thus the huge influx of Irishmen into the British Army (men like Sergeant Patrick Harper in the Sharpe novels, with their ambivalent attitude to Ireland and Britain did exist), which continued up until Waterloo, developed.

Rough Irish Catholic peasants led by Irish protestant aristocrats, who despised them but couldn’t do without them, as exemplified by the Duke of Wellington. Not quite the idea of a militia that our American cousins today put their store in.
Careful, your provo loving knickers are showing.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The media don’t ‘bury’ stories.

They either run with it or they don’t, depending on whether they think it’s newsworthy.

There’s no ethical or moral compass involved in that decision, given that the role of the media is to draw your eye to advertisements.

Look at the coverage of Diana’s death or Piers Morgan for examples.

Another conspiracy theory debunked.
The Democrat-supporting part* of the American MSM, along with Democrat supporting social media seem to have been doing a bang-up job of "not running" stories about Biden's son, Biden and the Ukraine, in the main. Maybe they thought that reports of a sitting Vice President acting corruptly wasn't "newsworthy".

The blatant bias shown in TV reporting is ridiculously obvious (on both sides, but the Democrats have far, far more MSM support); in fact it's the best advert for the BBC I could think of**.

*Which is rather a large part.
**As biased as the BBC can be, I have never known it to be so nakedly partisan as the US MSM, and confecting stories is not something they do.

The Democrat-supporting part* of the American MSM, along with Democrat supporting social media seem to have been doing a bang-up job of "not running" stories about Biden's son, Biden and the Ukraine, in the main. Maybe they thought that reports of a sitting Vice President acting corruptly wasn't "newsworthy".

The blatant bias shown in TV reporting is ridiculously obvious (on both sides, but the Democrats have far, far more MSM support); in fact it's the best advert for the BBC I could think of**.

*Which is rather a large part.
**As biased as the BBC can be, I have never known it to be so nakedly partisan as the US MSM, and confecting stories is not something they do.
The media can hold back and delay a story, but can't avoid the shockwaves forever.... IF Biden wins, the Republicans have an attack line for the first year of a Biden Presidency and if he loses, it will be quietly forgotten about, as the left begins a whinge that can be seen from space.

Because they lost?

Unknown.jpeg

Will Trump announce a Final Solution to the Democrat Problem if he wins?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 513558

Will Trump announce a Final Solution to the Democrat Problem if he wins?
Biden_KKK_Take_Back_Amerika.jpg

Will Biden prove to be a true Democrat.

Its easy to find a rerogatory and fatuous meme that smears an individual - However it contributes nothing to the debate.

If calling Trump a Fascist is the best contribution you can think of in a discussion - Then may I suggest your best contribution is silence.

** Image simply to demonstrate the 1st point - elstewise i treat it with the contempt it deserves

Your population estimate is at least 200 million out, unless you include Russia and Turkey, plus a few bullshit places like Azerbaijan - and if you think that the Covid-19 figures for them are reliable, then you’re talking out of your arse.

Yes, sorry, 541 million not 741. That'll teach me to use my phone to post that.
Apologies.
450 million ish is the EU27, 541 million includes all the EU, EEA and UK.
Basis premise still stands.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
447 million give or take.
I wonder what the real number is.

That's from 2007...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Scotland has had its own laws since it became Scotland, if not before. The Acts of Union guaranteed that Scotland and England would keep their own laws after Union, without interference from the other and subject only to Parliament and the Crown.

One country, two systems...

Thank you for the precision - inelegantly expressed on my part.

My point was in response to the 'Russia Today' nonsense about Sharia being part of UK law - which it isn't , ANYWHERE in this sceptered isle.

sharia ‘law’ has no jurisdiction in England and Wales and the Government has no intention to change this position” – a position which the MoJ has held consistently: see Sharia and the English legal system: the Government’s view.

The MoJ Spokesman went on to say :
Ah cannae speak for them Norrth o' the Borrder :)

What concerns is the attempts to politicise covid and the use of intentionally emotive language amidst an election, was the show made for a UK audience, or was Channel 4 trying in a small way to influence the election ? it just strikes me as interesting, in peoples minds to the extent Trump has sent people mad.

For observers of the media - this is an interesting and valid point.

I remember the frosty reaction various US Presidents got when making mild,polite interventions in UK domestic politics - Mind your own damned business!

Britain can only have an interest in US Elections, because of the intertwined relationship we have with youse guys.

The reality is Brits (those who take any interest at all over Emmerdale, Albion's chances of staying up and the price of a Ginster's pasty) can only watch with puzzlement from afar......

(Though many wondering privately how the hell such an admirable people in many ways, can have landed themselves in such a potentially disastrous clusterfeck of Biblical proportions. That said;
" Pot this is Kettle, how me- Over?" :) )

Last edited:

Latest Threads