The Trump Presidency...

well done, that’s some wasteland in a provisional town, not the main drag in one of the wealthiest cities in the richest country on Earth.
Well old son if you knew anything about California (which you don't) you'd know that they created their own misfortunes with ill thought out polices and State laws. Other Democrat controlled cities who followed California's lead are now wishing they hadn't.

It didn't take them long to have that oh fvck moment either.

that’s some wasteland in a provisional town
Do you reckon the homeless of any city in any country really give a flying fvck about the real estate they happen to be occupying. There are homeless people living rough in just about every city on the planet and you use it to bash America exclusively.

Seriously mate! Are you that fvcking shallow?

Well old son if you knew anything about California (which you don't) you'd know that they created their own misfortunes with ill thought out polices and State laws. Other Democrat controlled cities who followed California's lead are now wishing they hadn't.

It didn't take them long to have that oh fvck moment either.

Do you reckon the homeless of any city in any country really give a flying fvck about the real estate they happen to be occupying. There are homeless people living rough in just about every city on the planet and you use it to bash America exclusively.

Seriously mate! Are you that fvcking shallow?
you seem to enjoy living in a failed state,

viva el Presidente!

DC46CB1E-87F2-4B66-875F-64988EFD6785.jpeg

• By most indicators, the US is one of the world’s wealthiest countries. It spends more on national defense than China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, United Kingdom, India, France, and Japan combined.
  • US health care expenditures per capita are double the OECD average and much higher than in all other countries. But there are many fewer doctors and hospital beds per person than the OECD average.
  • US infant mortality rates in 2013 were the highest in the developed world.
  • Americans can expect to live shorter and sicker lives, compared to people living in any other rich democracy, and the “health gap” between the U.S. and its peer countries continues to grow.
  • U.S. inequality levels are far higher than those in most European countries
  • Neglected tropical diseases, including Zika, are increasingly common in the USA. It has been estimated that 12 million Americans live with a neglected parasitic infection. A 2017 report documents the prevalence of hookworm in Lowndes County, Alabama.
  • The US has the highest prevalence of obesity in the developed world.
  • In terms of access to water and sanitation the US ranks 36th in the world.
  • America has the highest incarceration rate in the world, ahead of Turkmenistan, El Salvador, Cuba, Thailand and the Russian Federation. Its rate is nearly 5 times the OECD average.
  • The youth poverty rate in the United States is the highest across the OECD with one quarter of youth living in poverty compared to less than 14% across the OECD.
  • The Stanford Center on Inequality and Poverty ranks the most well-off countries in terms of labor markets, poverty, safety net, wealth inequality, and economic mobility. The US comes in last of the top 10 most well-off countries, and 18th amongst the top 21.
  • In the OECD the US ranks 35th out of 37 in terms of poverty and inequality
  • According to the World Income Inequality Database, the US has the highest Gini rate (measuring inequality) of all Western Countries
  • The Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality characterizes the US as “a clear and constant outlier in the child poverty league.” US child poverty rates are the highest amongst the six richest countries – Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden and Norway.

well done, that’s some wasteland in a provisional town, not the main drag in one of the wealthiest cities in the richest country on Earth.
LA did most of that to themselves, and the state of California helped them along to their current 3rd world status.

Turning a blind eye to criminality
Unfunded spending mandates

just 2 reasons

you seem to enjoy living in a failed state,

viva el Presidente!

View attachment 496934
Well I guess that answers my question, you really are that shallow. You don't seem to be able to come up with a counter argument unless it's cut and paste from some web site that suits your narrative. Hey dude! Those $shithole cities around the US, the majority of them have been run by the Democrats for decades.

Now you can away and google some counter facts that suits your narrative but when all is said and done, hey it's politics and I really couldn't give a fvck about any of them.

So Kamala Harris is on the ticket.

‘So desperate’: Democrats mock ‘triggered’ Trump for responding to Kamala Harris announcement faster than COVID-19

President Donald Chump and his Republican suck ups raced to attack her. Unfortunately, all they could come up with is to call her “phony.”
I don't follow American politics very closely so I hadn't heard of Kamala Harris until now. I thought you would be interested in the following news story however.

According to this story by the CBC, based on her policies Harris would fit in with conservatives in Canada or Europe.
By Canadian standards, Kamala Harris could run for the Conservatives: Don Pittis

While the Trump campaign lost no time declaring her an ally of "the radical left" following her selection as running mate by presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, by Canadian standards, that would be a stretch.

Tugged by Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the Democratic Party may have moved to the left, but with such radical policies as more accessible health care and a slight amount of wealth distribution from the very rich to the poorest, middle-of-the-road party members like Harris could easily fit into the political spectrum of moderate conservatives in Canada or Europe.
Rather interestingly, her mother, Shyamala Gopalan Harris, was a researcher at McGill University in Montreal for 16 years, and Kamala spent 5 years in Montreal, graduating from Westmount High School in 1981 and then apparently going back to the US. Westmount is the posh district for anglophones in Montreal, on the main island next to Mount Royal (the mountain the city is named after). I don't see this as significant, other than I can see Trump demanding to see her birth certificate.

My interest in knowing more about American politics ends about there.

Regardless of who wins or loses in the upcoming American election, I imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the losers will be absolutely epic.

I don't follow American politics very closely so I hadn't heard of Kamala Harris until now. I thought you would be interested in the following news story however.

According to this story by the CBC, based on her policies Harris would fit in with conservatives in Canada or Europe.
By Canadian standards, Kamala Harris could run for the Conservatives: Don Pittis

Rather interestingly, her mother, Shyamala Gopalan Harris, was a researcher at McGill University in Montreal for 16 years, and Kamala spent 5 years in Montreal, graduating from Westmount High School in 1981 and then apparently going back to the US. Westmount is the posh district for anglophones in Montreal, on the main island next to Mount Royal (the mountain the city is named after). I don't see this as significant, other than I can see Trump demanding to see her birth certificate.

My interest in knowing more about American politics ends about there.

Regardless of who wins or loses in the upcoming American election, I imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the losers will be absolutely epic.
It’s already started

Na just past the "honeymoon period" with more screen time available, "more" being "some"
Have you missed me now there is a new love in my life?
Like a bad dose of crotch rot.

Azul_R

Old-Salt
Well, I do know a fair bit about California, having lived here for almost a quarter of a century.

I would hardly say that we created our own misfortunes, what with having a bigger economy than the UK on about two thirds of the population.

There are indeed some ill thought out State laws, in particular from the 1978 Proposition 13 that imposed a requirement for a two thirds majority for any tax increase, and the semi-freezing of property taxes.

Property taxes are typically much higher in the US than the roughly equivalent Council Tax in the UK. State and local spending has to be mostly paid for by local taxes, a mix of income tax (on top of the federal income tax), sales taxes (which can vary from town to town) and property taxes.

When we moved here, our initial property tax was based on a percentage of the home value as it then was. With inflation, the real world home value goes up but the "assessment" that it's taxed on can only increase at a maximum of 2% per year. What this does is give long time residents an effective subsidy and make it much harder for newcomers.

About seven years after we moved in, another Brit family moved in a few doors down. Because prices had gone up in the meantime, their property taxes were set at a higher rate. Their finances had to deal with an extra $5000 a year in property tax payments compared to us, whereas our neighbors who had been here longer are paying $2000 a year less than we are.

The Brit family sold up last year and moved back in fair part due to long term finances in which the $5000 a year made some difference in what they could plan for. Their sale meant another reset on the tax assessment and the new family will now be paying a whole lot more on top of what our old neighbors paid.

Maybe I should be grateful that we're now effectively being subsidized by the more recent home buyers but the setup is grossly unfair and explains some of the difficulties people might have in getting by.

America!

Its not the disease that kills you, its the Doctors bill.

$2,000 a month for a healthcare plan!

I'll stick with the NHS thanks

I would hardly say that we created our own misfortunes, what with having a bigger economy than the UK on about two thirds of the population.
Thank you for your explanation of life in California though I am aware of much of what you said is already known by those of us who live not too far from California. You don't think being a sanctuary State is contributing to California's woes?

America!

I'll stick with the NHS health thanks
laff.jpg

America!

I'll stick with the NHS thanks
Any of our US folks care to comment on how accurate that is - or how many people likely pay that level?

My Private medical is about £120 / month ($160) - even adding my entire National Insurance contribution gets me nowhere near that $2000.

My entire NI and Income tax contributions combined would go over the $2000 - but surely medical insurance like that would be for a one-armed, smoking, alcoholic, homeless, Aids-infected skydiver, right?

Any of our US folks care to comment on how accurate that is - or how many people likely pay that level?

My Private medical is about £120 / month ($160) - even adding my entire National Insurance contribution gets me nowhere near that $2000.

My entire NI and Income tax contributions combined would go over the $2000 - but surely medical insurance like that would be for a one-armed, smoking, alcoholic, homeless, Aids-infected skydiver, right?

Interesting from a geographical perspective..

Looking at the "without subsidy" list Nebraska and Wyoming seem much higher than the rest. Wyoming is twice as expensive as Texas for example.

Is there any specific reason for this variation that you know of? All I can think of is lack of competition in the sparsely populated states. There is not much point in dozens of companies vying for business in a population of less than 600K.

@Steamboat - any ideas?

There is no spin or subtext in that question either, merely geographical curiosity.

Interesting from a geographical perspective..

Looking at the "without subsidy" list Nebraska and Wyoming seem much higher than the rest. Wyoming is twice as expensive as Texas for example.

Is there any specific reason for this variation that you know of? All I can think of is lack of competition in the sparsely populated states. There is not much point in dozens of companies vying for business in a population of less than 600K.

@Steamboat - any ideas?

There is no spin or subtext in that question either, merely geographical curiosity.
@Tappet

1597413877420.png

The Medical are my contributions per month to my insurance plan.

1597413964046.png

The above is what my employer contributes every month to my plan.

This is what would be considered one of the better plans and it is far better than the ACA garbage.

But trying to provide medical coverage out here has many challenges. We have a smaller population to draw upon, and doctors still want to be paid out in BFE. If you want your providers to have up to date kit, that costs money as well. Insurance competition is not as plentiful because the companies don't see the ability to stay in business. The only thing the ACA has done is jack up my insurance premiums to cover more of the have nots, who already have access to our socialized health care plans.

1597414552484.png

As shown here, this deduction covers medicare and I do believe medicaid.

Trump rehashing the Obama is from Kenya not Hawaii again? This time for the running mate of Biden. Kamala Harris

Latest Threads